Recommendation for Tool Kit CONTENTS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JNW003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 21st, 2017, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Recommendation for Tool Kit CONTENTS

Hey guys,

Trying to put together a tool kit for my 2005, since it came with the I-don't-even-know-why-they-tried "kit", featuring a super cheap reversible screwdriver, some fuses and a fuse puller. I guess maybe they were thinking that if all else failed the rider could just stab the bike to death with the screwdriver, then ensuring the electrical system was fully in circuit, they could generate a spark in order to light the bike on fire for a SOS message of sorts. Not sure.

Anyways, I've searched this forum many times on this issue since I bought the bike, in hopes of putting together something of use to carry with. Unfortunately, every thread on the topic has always started with good intentions as to the specifics one might want to carry, but they all quickly devolve to a here is a picture of my setup - I hope you can guess what the tools actually are, and what they're needed for picture thread. Basically useless threads for the purposes of actual information.

Looking around at the tool kits in the BMW parts fiche, to the Cruz Tools BMW kit, and finally what limited useful material I was able glean off of earlier tool kit threads on the forum, I've come up with the following list. I'm hoping the more knowledgeable among the forum can give input, and add or subtract from the list as needed. I'm also obviously not looking for every tool one might need to tear down the engine or replace the clutch or anything, just what one might find useful in the diagnosis and repair of things that could be tackled on the road. Mostly curious on the fasteners specifically, not necessarily whether one should carry a socket or a wrench for the fastener.

Here we go...

Sockets/Wrenches:

8 mm
10 mm
12 mm
13 mm
17 mm (front axle and rear wheel lug bolts)
18 mm (spark plug?)
19 mm

Hex Bit/Allen Head:

3 mm
4 mm
5 mm
6 mm
8 mm

Torx:

T20
T25
T30
T40
T45
T50

External Torx:

E10
E12

Then there's generic stuff that goes without saying, like your favorite multi-tool, pliers, electrical tape, zip-ties, etc. I'm not really too concerned about itemizing that stuff above.

I'm 100% certain there's more listed above than is actually needed, or perhaps some stuff missing, but like I said the list is a composite from several different sources, and while all sources were BMW specific, they were not K1200LT specific. Any help refining this list for space, weight and efficiency is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 2:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Recommendation for Tool Kit CONTENTS

When I toured with the LT, I started out with a Cruz Tools BMW kit, but after the shifter fell apart outside of Indianapolis, I added a pair of extra long needle nose pliers to enable reaching into a hard to reach area to put the shifter back together. In addition to the pliers, I also added a pick set (see pix) to make it easier to remove/install the shifter spring clips. I also carry an Antigravity Battery for jumping the bike in case the battery dies, and used it to jump a pickup at a rest area outside of Mendocino, CA. You should also carry a tire repair kit and a small pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flashlights & Pick Set.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	122738  
ICT Rider and Guitarlos like this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 2:16 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Rider View Post
Hey guys,

Trying to put together a tool kit for my 2005, since it came with the I-don't-even-know-why-they-tried "kit", featuring a super cheap reversible screwdriver, some fuses and a fuse puller. I guess maybe they were thinking that if all else failed the rider could just stab the bike to death with the screwdriver, then ensuring the electrical system was fully in circuit, they could generate a spark in order to light the bike on fire for a SOS message of sorts. Not sure.

Anyways, I've searched this forum many times on this issue since I bought the bike, in hopes of putting together something of use to carry with. Unfortunately, every thread on the topic has always started with good intentions as to the specifics one might want to carry, but they all quickly devolve to a here is a picture of my setup - I hope you can guess what the tools actually are, and what they're needed for picture thread. Basically useless threads for the purposes of actual information.

Looking around at the tool kits in the BMW parts fiche, to the Cruz Tools BMW kit, and finally what limited useful material I was able glean off of earlier tool kit threads on the forum, I've come up with the following list. I'm hoping the more knowledgeable among the forum can give input, and add or subtract from the list as needed. I'm also obviously not looking for every tool one might need to tear down the engine or replace the clutch or anything, just what one might find useful in the diagnosis and repair of things that could be tackled on the road. Mostly curious on the fasteners specifically, not necessarily whether one should carry a socket or a wrench for the fastener.

Here we go...

Sockets/Wrenches:

8 mm
10 mm
12 mm
13 mm
17 mm (front axle and rear wheel lug bolts)
18 mm (spark plug?)
19 mm

Hex Bit/Allen Head:

3 mm
4 mm
5 mm
6 mm
8 mm

Torx:

T20
T25
T30
T40
T45
T50

External Torx:

E10
E12

Then there's generic stuff that goes without saying, like your favorite multi-tool, pliers, electrical tape, zip-ties, etc. I'm not really too concerned about itemizing that stuff above.

I'm 100% certain there's more listed above than is actually needed, or perhaps some stuff missing, but like I said the list is a composite from several different sources, and while all sources were BMW specific, they were not K1200LT specific. Any help refining this list for space, weight and efficiency is greatly appreciated!
What is the eternal Torx used on? I wonder if you could use standard 12 pt. sockets or wrenches in its place?
I like this list, exactly what I'm putting together for my tool bag. The only difference is I'll add fractional tools for others in need.

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
What is the eternal Torx used on?
I actually don't know. Sort of part of the reason I started the thread. The Cruz Tools BMW kit that is so popular has a E10xE12 combo wrench as part of the package, but I am unaware if it actually has application on the K1200LT specifically.

Quote:
I wonder if you could use standard 12 pt. sockets or wrenches in its place?
Not sure. The e-torx stuff isn't that hard to find though. You can find cheap offerings (for something like a tool kit) on Amazon, or in person at Harbor Freight.

Quote:
I like this list, exactly what I'm putting together for my tool bag. The only difference is I'll add fractional tools for others in need.
Well thanks, but I'm pretty sure the list is either incomplete or overloaded with stuff that has no use on the K1200LT. Maybe a little of both. That's why I'm hoping for input from those that know more than myself.
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
When I toured with the LT, I started out with a Cruz Tools BMW kit, but after the shifter fell apart outside of Indianapolis, I added a pair of extra long needle nose pliers to enable reaching into a hard to reach area to put the shifter back together. In addition to the pliers, I also added a pick set (see pix) to make it easier to remove/install the shifter spring clips. I also carry an Antigravity Battery for jumping the bike in case the battery dies, and used it to jump a pickup at a rest area outside of Mendocino, CA. You should also carry a tire repair kit and a small pump.
Thanks for the tip on the picks and the long needle nose!

I already have a plug kit and a Slime compressor. A small LI battery for electronic device charging and possible bike jumping is on the list.

Mostly I made the thread to find what fasteners are prominent on the K1200LT. All the other stuff is more subjective.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in