Brake Lines - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By BeemerJoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Brake Lines

I am planning to put spiegler brake lines on my 2005 LT. Should I also put in Speed Bleeders?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Re: Brake Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekremer View Post
I am planning to put spiegler brake lines on my 2005 LT. Should I also put in Speed Bleeders?

Steve
Some love them, others say they can never get them to stop leaking. Don't get rid of your originals if you go that way. Your choice. If you have used them before and like them, give it a try. Never went that way myself.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 9:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I liked them on mine, but if you have a Speedbleeder bag, that should work also.... I had Speedbleeders on all of the brake circuits as well as at the end of the clutch bleed line.
Patric likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Just picked up a 2000 with the original brake lines. Need to switch them out.

Are there any other manufactures other then Speigler? ($250)

My newly acquired bike needs a lot of maintenance at I got a quote of 2800 for the clutch (A&S) and I'm sure it's just going to go up from there.

Still adjusting to the sticker shock, any reasonably priced parts or are you all now rolling on the floor laughing?
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 8:48 am

Garage

trussell: Take it from a former Harley rider (almost 40 years) The BMW isn't any more expensive than a lot of other bikes. What you have to do, is learn the bike, and do your own maintenance. BMW motorad club has been a life (and) money saver for me. His instructional videos are easy to follow. If you're half a "wrench", you can do just about anything on your own.. As far as BMW parts go, don't immediately go to the Stealer. There are many aftermarket and low cost alternatives out there.. The internet is great for that.. Also used parts are readily available..
I've owned my 06 LT now for over 8 months, and haven't found anything on it so far that i can't do on my own, including flushing the servo system. Too many horror stories out there from people who depend on the Dealer to do everything for them.. I've seen some that take it for a simple oil change.. Don't understand, unless they have money to burn. Just my humble opinion.
Learn your bike, and enjoy.
P.S. This forum is also a great information venue.
Patric likes this.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)

Last edited by BeemerJoe; Feb 13th, 2017 at 8:49 am. Reason: adding more
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 9:40 am

I just had the Stealer put on Spieglers, $550 in labor. Also did the canisterectomy, steel quick connects, weep hole and metal trunk latch, $198 in labor.

I showed a fault code for high brake pressure on the modulator both before and after the Spieglers. They want $3300 + tax to install a new iABS. Tech said the servo quits on hard rear braking. I'll ask if it's fault code 17438. I think it's low current from the battery.

I know about the possible modulator rebuilds. I'll definitely go that route. I have a 2006 K1200LT since new.
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussell View Post
Just picked up a 2000 with the original brake lines. Need to switch them out.

Are there any other manufactures other then Speigler? ($250)

My newly acquired bike needs a lot of maintenance at I got a quote of 2800 for the clutch (A&S) and I'm sure it's just going to go up from there.

Still adjusting to the sticker shock, any reasonably priced parts or are you all now rolling on the floor laughing?
Tom, there are many bikes out there like yours where someone rides it and then something fairly major happens like the main or clutch O-ring seals leak requiring a teardown of the bike and they sell it rather than fix it. You can get a good deal on a great bike if you are willing to put in some time to fix what is wrong. The clutch is fairly involved with a bunch to take off and put back but if you are capable of doing your own maintenance and repairs, It isn't beyond most savvy people and that can help save lot. Buy yourself a Clymer manuel for the LT as it has a wealth of information for the DIY'er. Look for someone nearby that might be able to come over and help who may have done it before. I have done 2 already in my garage and there are several good threads where people documented the process so you can see what you might be getting into ahead of time. Watch Kirk's BMW Motorrad club of Illinois videos videos as already mentioned. You can do it.

As for the Spieglers, go ahead and get them. They are well made and worth the money and less than buying a new OEM set from the dealer. If you can find them from a distributor, you might find a set that includes new banjo bolts for the same price as direct without and maybe in colors if you are so inclined.

Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask the group here questions. The depth of knowledge here is astounding.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:16 am.
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 1:39 pm

As Gordon says if you are handy you can do the rear seal replacement. But part of the price is changing so many things that you are right next to on the way in. It is a long list, mostly rubber parts and seals. Maybe see if there is an independent bmw shop in your area. The one in my area takes 8 hours and charges about 800 + parts which are 4 to 600$. Here is some reading for you on the subject:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38451

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 5:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
As Gordon says if you are handy you can do the rear seal replacement. But part of the price is changing so many things that you are right next to on the way in. It is a long list, mostly rubber parts and seals. Maybe see if there is an independent bmw shop in your area. The one in my area takes 8 hours and charges about 800 + parts which are 4 to 600$. Here is some reading for you on the subject:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38451
If there is someone who can replace the rear seal on an LT in 8 hours and do a quality job, I'd love to watch that. After doing mine last year, I can't imagine doing it in less than 12 hours and probably would take closer to 16 hours even having done it once.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 12 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 8:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Don't be afraid of installing the Spiegler's yourself. I did it and it wasn't that big of a deal, but then, I'd already done the system flush previously, so I was familiar with the systems Just watch the Illinois video. I also got John Ziegler's video and it was helpful too. By the way, BMW can stand for Bring More Wallet (if you don't do the maintenance yourself).

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #11 of 12 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:39 pm

I think nose down, tail up I could not get it done in 15 hours. And 8 hours certainly does not include changing tranny seals, intake and installing new seals, cleaning the starter and the other little stuff in between. I certainly agree with you that quote (in person too) would leave out so much stuff. But then the guy is a BMW master mechanic.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I think nose down, tail up I could not get it done in 15 hours. And 8 hours certainly does not include changing tranny seals, intake and installing new seals, cleaning the starter and the other little stuff in between. I certainly agree with you that quote (in person too) would leave out so much stuff. But then the guy is a BMW master mechanic.
With one other person who knew what they were doing and we both could work independently on each side of the bike not having to keep putting our nose in a book to know what is next, 15 hours is probably a little high. As you said, there is a lot of other stuff you can do and likely should. Once the tranny was out and on the bench, it took less than 30 minutes to do the seals and drill the weep holes. Of course, having all the proper seal drivers and tools makes shorter work of it. The second time for me on a friends bike, not mine, I think i had the tranny on the bench in less than 6 hours with a lunch break but the bike arrived with no Tupperware so that did save some time.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in