• 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Painterman
  • 1 Post By biker01red
  • 1 Post By PSobz
  • 1 Post By edorazio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 10:21 am Thread Starter

Kathys Journey Bags

Anyone ever purchase 'Kathys Journey Designs' side case bags for your LT ?

If so, how do you grade quality and fit..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 11:45 am

Re: Kathys Journey Bags

I got bags for side cases and top case. Fit and quality are excellent

Steve
Tricky_dickey likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
Anyone ever purchase 'Kathys Journey Designs' side case bags for your LT ?

If so, how do you grade quality and fit..
I have all four bags. I am quite impressed with quality and fit. Mine are nearing 10 years of age and have made several long trips. I really only have three complaints:

1. I don't like the dual zippers on the side bags. I think one central zipper would ease packing.

2. The trunk rack bag isn't waterproof. They tell you that upfront so I use it for rain gear, bike cover and things that can get wet. Still, an outside bag should be waterproof.

3. The trunk rack bag is black and has faded badly in the sun. The top is more gray than black now.

However, the price was right and the value high. I would buy from Kathy's Journey again without hesitation.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Feb 11th, 2017 at 3:56 pm.

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I have had mine for over ten years. They still look perfect. I don't have the exterior bag.
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 7:43 am

Garage

I have the bags for the sidecases, now over six years, many miles.... Excellent product......
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 5:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have all four bags. I am quite impressed with quality and fit. Mine are nearing 10 years of age and have made several long trips. I really only have three complaints:

1. I don't like the dual zippers on the side bags. I think one central zipper would ease packing.

2. The trunk rack bag isn't waterproof. They tell you that upfront so I use it for rain gear, bike cover and things that can get wet. Still, an outside bag should be waterproof.

3. The trunk rack bag is black and has faded badly in the sun. The top is more gray than black now.

However, the price was right and the value high. I would buy from Kathy's Journey again without hesitation.
I had all four bags on my '07 and liked them. Like Voyager, my trunk rack bag faded from the sun, which was especially noticeable when I had it sitting next to the other bags. I also kept my Aerostich full cover, windshield cleaning supplies, and other lighter stuff in it. However, I never noticed the contents of the trunk rack bag getting wet, as I kept a sweatshirt in it, just in case it got too cold and had ridden through several driving rain storms. In comparison to the BMW bags that came with my GTLE, the Kathy's do not have nearly the quality of the BMW bags, but I like the storage compartments on the Kathy's much better and they conform better as they are not as rigid.

Attached is a picture of the Kathy's bags sitting side by side to show what the truck rack looks like after sun fading. (The 5th bag in the picture contains my RDL seat's rain cover.)

If I had bought a GTL, I would have gone with Kathy's bags again (my GTLE came with a 3-piece set of BMW luggage and by themselves, are outrageously expensive).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	122530  

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 3:08 pm

I bought a full set used 3 years ago for $75. Included both sides, trunk, exterior rack and a Wunderlich tank bag. All were quality and still in use. As others have said, the trunk bag faded, but its just as functional as new.
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Im glad I got the full set of four bags
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 3:07 pm

I wasn't familiar with them until I saw this thread. I checked the site and bought a pair of side bags that were marked down on clearance. They do appear well made, but also don't like the dual zippers. The two zippers might be useful if they connected to make a larger top opening, but these are just awkward.

I've been using a pair of generic small dufflels that I can cram full and stuff into the cases. While the Kathy's bags fit the case very well, I'm not able to pack them nearly as full as I do the bags I've been using. I'm not sure I want to keep them.
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
I wasn't familiar with them until I saw this thread. I checked the site and bought a pair of side bags that were marked down on clearance. They do appear well made, but also don't like the dual zippers. The two zippers might be useful if they connected to make a larger top opening, but these are just awkward.

I've been using a pair of generic small dufflels that I can cram full and stuff into the cases. While the Kathy's bags fit the case very well, I'm not able to pack them nearly as full as I do the bags I've been using. I'm not sure I want to keep them.
I never had a problem filling the Kathy's bags chock full. I also use several smaller mesh bags to hold each day's change of clothes while one the road. It's much easier to keep clean and dirty separated, as well as to know how much longer you can go between washings on longer trips.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #11 of 11 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 7:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post

That is interesting as mine fit very well. I fold my clothes and layer them in. It is key to use the full width and length of the bags. I then compress the bag to get out the air and then carefully zip the bag shut. When packed correctly the bag barely fits into the case and the door needs to be pushed the last inch or two before latching.

My wife and I can pack 8 days of clothes into our respective side bags. We put shoes, toiletries, jackets, etc. in the trunk bag. The trunk rack bag gets rain gear, bike cover, jumper cables and air compressor.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in