Battery and charger looking for - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 9Likes
  • 4 Post By johnbaker15
  • 4 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By Moogmike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 1st, 2017, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Battery and charger looking for

I recently brought home my new bike, but I think the battery didn't like sitting in the cold, it now cranks really slow and wont start it. Looked at the records and the battery was new early 2012, so for me its due so I have no issues later. Well I was doing some looking on a battery and charger. Figured going with the Odyssey battery.

But when it comes to chargers... I see talk about the K1200LT since it has CANBUS, do I really need to be concerned about it? I also saw some reviews on the Opitmate 4 that some issues are they dont charge 100%. Which can help shorten its life.

I am leaning toward the NOCO genius, they are full chargers and maintainers. From info on the AGM batteries, they need to be charged at a higher voltage. The Opitmate goes to 13volts and the NOCO can got to 15.5volts.

Well wondering what yall think.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 1st, 2017, 7:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Battery and charger looking for

First there is no CANBUS on any year or model LT.

The charger you should use should have the capability to match the battery type you have installed.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 1st, 2017, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogmike View Post
I recently brought home my new bike, but I think the battery didn't like sitting in the cold, it now cranks really slow and wont start it. Looked at the records and the battery was new early 2012, so for me its due so I have no issues later. Well I was doing some looking on a battery and charger. Figured going with the Odyssey battery.

But when it comes to chargers... I see talk about the K1200LT since it has CANBUS, do I really need to be concerned about it? I also saw some reviews on the Opitmate 4 that some issues are they dont charge 100%. Which can help shorten its life.

I am leaning toward the NOCO genius, they are full chargers and maintainers. From info on the AGM batteries, they need to be charged at a higher voltage. The Opitmate goes to 13volts and the NOCO can got to 15.5volts.

Well wondering what yall think.

Thank you.

Although many BMW models that came out after 2004 have CANBUS, there is NO such thing on the K1200LT. The electrical system is just basic wires and fuses for all versions (1999-2009) WITHOUT any of these CANBUS controllers.

The ODYSSEY is a very good strong battery (PC680) for the K1200LT - many satisfied owners here including me ;-)

The ODYSSEY web site contains a lot of info about the needed charging voltages and cycles. In general, any good modern charger that has a mode to charge between 14.4 to 15 volts max. Look at pages 15-17 of the ODYSSEY technical manual here on their web site:
http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM.pdf

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 2:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Although many BMW models that came out after 2004 have CANBUS, there is NO such thing on the K1200LT. The electrical system is just basic wires and fuses for all versions (1999-2009) WITHOUT any of these CANBUS controllers.

The ODYSSEY is a very good strong battery (PC680) for the K1200LT - many satisfied owners here including me ;-)

The ODYSSEY web site contains a lot of info about the needed charging voltages and cycles. In general, any good modern charger that has a mode to charge between 14.4 to 15 volts max. Look at pages 15-17 of the ODYSSEY technical manual here on their web site:
http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM.pdf
Thank you for the info, the link gives me more info then expected but useful. Thank you.

As for the CBUS.... so the k1200LT (I have a 2009) has none at all... or just the charging system doesnt use it.

I ask because I thought that it did use CBUS for its communication between other controllers and such.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogmike View Post
As for the CBUS.... so the k1200LT (I have a 2009) has none at all... or just the charging system doesnt use it.
No CBUS at all.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
No CBUS at all.
Mike... Thank you for clarifying this. Id be ok if it did, but glad it doesnt.

Thank you.

Found a place that is local that has the battery and the charger, so if I have an issue much easier to deal with.
Patric likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 6:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had an Odyssey PC680 in my '07 LT and used a CTEK MUS 4.3 charger, plugged into the lower right hand Powerlet plug. (Odyssey recommends the larger version of the CTEK charger, but mine worked fine.) On longer trips far from home and the charger, I also carry(ied) a Powerall Deluxe emergency jump starter in the side case, just in case (I used it to jump start a stalled pick up truck at a rest stop south of Mendocino, and my neighbor's and my Mustang) and they work great. You can get a similar EJS at Costco for about $60, as a bunch of companies make them now.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 11:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

have my 2003 hooked up to a battery tender...no problems so far...
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 1:59 pm

Well. I have the Odyssey PC 680 in my LT. And a Battery Tender plus to charge/maintain it. No problems so far. I picked the Odyssey because I've had 2 in my Suzuki Intruder and loved them.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in