Just picked up our 1st K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Just picked up our 1st K1200LT

We rode home on Wednesday, our new 2005 (new to us) BMW K1200LT. This is the first BMW we have owned. It was a great 4 hour ride to bring it home. Any comments, suggestion or things I need to know as a newbee to BMW and the K1200LT.

Mark Kosmatka
Collinsville, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Congratulations!!!

You will love her. The wife and I got our K this past spring, and it has been an amazing summer aboard her.

Don't treat her gentle - ride her like you stole her, and don't be afraid to run up the revs. The K isn't happy below 4k, and really shines about 5.5K right up to redline. Ride her light a sport bike (yes, she'll corner like one too).

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1rob
We rode home on Wednesday, our new 2005 (new to us) BMW K1200LT. This is the first BMW we have owned. It was a great 4 hour ride to bring it home. Any comments, suggestion or things I need to know as a newbee to BMW and the K1200LT.

Mark Kosmatka
Collinsville, IL
The best advice has already been given: keep the RPMs up.
Second best advice: take a few days off and read every post on this forum. You'll be informed and entertained.

Hall of Wisdom: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...hall_of_wisdom

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048

Last edited by kaygee; Nov 10th, 2006 at 3:30 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Welcome! Go to the mall (when it's closed) and use their parking lot to practice your stops, starts and slow turns. Knowing how this "top heavy girl" handles at slow speeds will increase your riding enjoyment, especially 2-up.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Congratulations on your WonderBike!

Read everything in the Hall of Wisdom, and read everything you can about low-speed handling "gotchas" and techniques and centerstand/sidestand use.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1rob

Mark Kosmatka
Collinsville, IL
Congratulations on your new ride - you won't regret your purchase. It took me a while to understand that the K engine really (really) likes to rev - some guy at a rally told me to cure the rough shifting just RPOI. When I asked what that meant, he said, "Rev the piss out of it." He was absolutely right. Practise the slow speed handling as much as you can. And, frequent this site a lot - the forum members are incredibly knowledgeable and many have already been there, done that when you're contemplating doing something to your bike.

Denny
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Congratulations on your WonderBike!

Read everything in the Hall of Wisdom, and read everything you can about low-speed handling "gotchas" and techniques and centerstand/sidestand use.
What Howard said.

The LT is my first cycle and I've been riding for about 4-6 weeks now. Every time I take her out I go to a housing development next to mine that has a zillion turns and stop signs. Then I do it in reverse so I get an equal practice on left and right turns. I'm getting better, however I still need to make it smoother and totally second nature. Over 5mph is a piece of cake - it's the slow stuff that's tough.

Enjoy!

Bill

'02 K1200LTC Pacific Blue

Yeah, I know, I need to get out more!
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Wink Congrats

My wife and I have been riding this LT for 4 years now. (She won't let me own anything else). You'll love it. I had 18K on my 1st LT when I totaled it. This one has 95K miles. Looks great and runs fine. Of course I've changed the final drive and done slave cylinder and clutch.

Yes.. keep the revs up, although I rarely take mine over 5.5K.

I hope you do some of your own service. If you can get hold of a copy of Paul Seigh's (sp) DVD, it'd really make things easy for you. Learn engine oil change, air filter change, final drive oil change, gearbox oil change, brake pad replacement. That's it. That's all you need to do.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in