Old Valve Buckets... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 7:30 am Thread Starter

Old Valve Buckets...

If this has been discussed before please show a link for us newbies.

Since I no longer have a local dealer is there any way to create a link or site to show if people in your area have spare buckets available?

I have six buckets that have 20K miles on them. They are all thicker than the buckets in my bike and will now probably sit in my tool box until I get tired of storing them.

Is there any reason why these can not be reused in a different bike?

Not trying to short change dealers just trying to utilize resources. At $14 + each, these things are expensive paper weights.

Maybe bring or send them to tech sessions where valve checks are going to be performed?

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 8:08 am

Parts bin...

Good idea..

Local groups that get together for "Tech Sessions" can help by "pooling" the spare buckets... it's been going on a while here at the edge of the Hill Country for a while and works very well...

You should see the "collection" some folks have.. reminds me of the old HD days.. except now we don't USUALLY have to kick the chickens out of the way to get to the "spare" parts....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 8:51 am

I gave my buckets to one of the local guys that holds a lot of tech sessions, Out with the old and in with the new. (GT)

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 9:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I gave my buckets to one of the local guys that holds a lot of tech sessions, Out with the old and in with the new. (GT)
Bragger! Shamless Bragger!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Bragger! Shamless Bragger!
Oh is that right, Don't forget you are a used bucket depository!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:16 am

Talking

Quote:
Oh is that right, Don't forget you are a used bucket depository!
Aha, now I know where to go to get any buckets we may need for the next valve adjustment! Tks for that tip Brian!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #7 of 14 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 9:51 am

Cool

Quote:
GT, GT? I thought that was the Grand Tour?!!? Geez I'm confused.

Denny
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:24 am

On the ST1100.org board, they have a "travelling" valve shim kit. It is shipped from requestor to requestor; you use the shims you need and put your old ones back in. It also contains a few special tools necessary to adjust the valves on an ST. Just a thought.

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #9 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 5:44 pm

Valve Buckets Needed

I am in need of 1 ea 2.75 bucket and 3 ea 2.85 buckets and I will have 1 ea 2.95 and 4 ea 2.90 buckets for trade or for someone else to use. Need ASAP

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConspiracyofOne
On the ST1100.org board, they have a "travelling" valve shim kit. It is shipped from requestor to requestor; you use the shims you need and put your old ones back in. It also contains a few special tools necessary to adjust the valves on an ST. Just a thought.

That is a good idea. I wonder can it work cross boarder.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #11 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf
That is a good idea. I wonder can it work cross boarder.
The biggest problem with that idea is the travelling kit will end up containing large buckets. I've never went from a smaller to a larger bucket.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The biggest problem with that idea is the travelling kit will end up containing large buckets. I've never went from a smaller to a larger bucket.
Speakin' of buckets - Moore is coming by tamale evening and help me check the valves on ole Toad. Can't tell ya how long it's been since they were checked, butt you prolly did 'em at one of your tech sessions. I guess once I find which ones are in need of adjustment, I'll give Lone Star a call Satiday and see what they have in stock.

You got any to trade if it comes to that?? Doubt I'll do anythang with 'em for a bit, as I'm heading to KS on Sunday and not sure when I'll be back. I gotta take some time and read up on the swappage routine, cuz I've never done valve adjustments, except to write 'em down as you called 'em out, on someone's bike.
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Speakin' of buckets - Moore is coming by tamale evening and help me check the valves on ole Toad. Can't tell ya how long it's been since they were checked, butt you prolly did 'em at one of your tech sessions. I guess once I find which ones are in need of adjustment, I'll give Lone Star a call Satiday and see what they have in stock.

You got any to trade if it comes to that?? Doubt I'll do anythang with 'em for a bit, as I'm heading to KS on Sunday and not sure when I'll be back. I gotta take some time and read up on the swappage routine, cuz I've never done valve adjustments, except to write 'em down as you called 'em out, on someone's bike.
Scream and we'll knock it toot sweet. I'll bring my special pencil marked for the halfway throw on the piston.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Scream and we'll knock it toot sweet. I'll bring my special pencil marked for the halfway throw on the piston.
Thanks, Bud. PM'd ya to let ya know the valve angels smiled and blessed me with only two that have tightened up since '03, and they're still within spec. Prolly have to pull 'em next time - what? - in 2011!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in