Electrical Hookup - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By TerryVRay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 26th, 2017, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

Electrical Hookup

I recently broke a throttle cable and decided to dive into fixing it myself. I been wanting to learn about my bike and I felt this would be my biggest venture yet. I pulled the Tupperware off and got to the tank. Disconnected a bunch of electrical wires that was interfering with pulling the tank. In the past I always marked the connections but noticed that these were different so I didn't. Pulled the tank, replaced the cable, and started putting back together. It had been about 4-5 days since I had pulled all apart and when I was connecting the electrical connections back up, I noticed I had a couple electrical connectors that didn't match up. I looked around for a video or even some pictures so I could make sure what I had hooked up was correct and what I didn't, I could figure out where they went. I don't want to start it until I feel comfortable with the hookups.

Does anyone know where I can see a good video on the hookups or some pictures? I'm wanting to get on the road and its eating at me!! Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 26th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Re: Electrical Hookup

Can you describe where these mismatched connectors are located or possibly even add some photos here? If I remember correctly, most, if not all, of the connectors on the top left under the sting ray are matched in pairs so can't be mixed up. You might have noticed on the lower right, there is likely a connector that is unused. It would be positioned opposite the powerlet outlet seen on the left side.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 27th, 2017, 7:55 am

Congratulations on repairing this yourself. Not knowing what year your LT is, I do not believe (as it has been a long time) that you needed to remove the tank. The only electrical connectors involved with pulling the tank would be one or two plugs for the fuel pump. Any other wires in that area would have to be aftermarket wires. As Munmi requested, please post some pictures of the connectors and wires.
Just in case, attached are instructions on replacing the throttle cables and making sure the cruise control switch is adjusted properly.
Also, depending on your year LT, with cable replacement you would have to modify the handle bar covers if your LT never had the cables replaced before.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Throttle_Cable.pdf (385.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf Cruise_Control.pdf (82.4 KB, 51 views)

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies. I did forget to put the bike year and noticed later that I forgot to include it. It is a 2006 1200LT. I believe that you are right Munmi, I do have the one cable across from the battery that doesn't have anything hooked to it. Hopefully you are right and I can check that one off the list. I have not had a chance to take a picture of the wires yet since I assembled back together because it was getting cold for the next few days. I will get the pictures this week and post them.

Mike, I was able to get the cable on with no problem. I didn't have to modify the handle bar covers since they all went on easily. I need to check the adjustment and will do that next time I dive into it. Seems my problem is all on the left side with the connectors since that's where all of them are at.

I just don't want to try and start it up and there be a cable not hooked up and it creates a major issue for me.
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 1st, 2017, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

Finally was able to spend some time on the bike again. Pulled Tupperware off and radio. Was able to find a wire and connector I missed. I put everything back together and started it up. Drove it for about 20 miles so feel good about the work I'd done. Thanks for the replies. It definitely feels good to know you have help if needed. THANK YOU!!
Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in