• 1 Post By JaL3_SD
  • 1 Post By azccj
  • 1 Post By alabrew
  • 1 Post By St0rm1
  • 3 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Fuel gauge reset

I know I've seen a post about this but just could not find it even in the Hall of Wisdom.

Anyhoo, here's what mine's doing; Whn I fill her up to (pretty much up to the brim), the gauge only goes about 5/6 full and the low fuel warning light comes on way too early.

Could someone please point me to the instructions on how to reset the gauge? All help will be greatly appreciated as always.

Bike is 2006 model, canisteroctomy has been performed.

Jay - 2006 BMW K1200LT, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R and 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 11:25 am

Garage
Re: Fuel gauge reset

My '01 does the same thing. Hopefully it is fixable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaL3_SD View Post
I know I've seen a post about this but just could not find it even in the Hall of Wisdom.

Anyhoo, here's what mine's doing; Whn I fill her up to (pretty much up to the brim), the gauge only goes about 5/6 full and the low fuel warning light comes on way too early.

Could someone please point me to the instructions on how to reset the gauge? All help will be greatly appreciated as always.

post #3 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 11:57 am

I have heard that you can reset the low fuel warning but have not done it myself. The only way to get it mostly full is to fill it on the side stand. If that is what you are doing, other than that, I don't know of a way to adjust the gauge. Mine never pegs out even on the side stand either.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 1:25 pm

This thread might give you something to think about. Either a clean up of yours or a new one?
Low Fuel Light/ Fuel Guage ?? - I-BMW.com

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 1:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A google search: "k1200lt reset low fuel" found this post from 2010 - http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...libration.html

As I thought, dealer has to do it.

Every so often, I'll fill and get that very top bar to appear, but not all the time and it has to be all the way up the neck.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I have heard that you can reset the low fuel warning but have not done it myself. The only way to get it mostly full is to fill it on the side stand. If that is what you are doing, other than that, I don't know of a way to adjust the gauge. Mine never pegs out even on the side stand either.
Now that you mention it, I think last time I filled her up I did it on center stand. I usually do it on side stand though. Don't know what I was thinking..

Thanks Gordon!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

post #7 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
A google search: "k1200lt reset low fuel" found this post from 2010 - http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...libration.html

As I thought, dealer has to do it.

Every so often, I'll fill and get that very top bar to appear, but not all the time and it has to be all the way up the neck.
Thanks. Wonder if the reset procedure is different for my -06 though since the gauge cluster is different. Not gonna take it to the stealer, I'd rather live with "premature" warning light
Tricky_dickey likes this.

post #8 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Below are the instructions from the repair manual. I believe that "shorting" out certain pins would accomplish the same thing as the MoDiTeC.

Calibrating the immersion-tube sensor
L Note:
The immersion-tube sensor has to be calibrated if it or the fuel tank has been replaced.
Calibration allows the reserve fuel capacity of the fuel tank to be adjusted to suit customer preferences.
• Pour 4 litres (0.88 Imp. gal/1.06 US gal) of fuel (or the quantity requested by the customer) into the empty fuel tank.
• Connect the MoDiTeC to the diagnosis connector beneath the saddle.
• Call up the TOOLBOX menu on the diagnostic unit and select the PROGRAM TANK RESERVE item.
• Follow the MoDiTeC instructions.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 1:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I think last time I filled her up I did it on center stand. I usually do it on side stand though.
That has been my problem with my other bikes, I'm so used to filling the LT on the side stand, I forget to put them on their center stands to get a full fill.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker

85 K100RT - (wore out)
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 1:49 pm

Quote:

When does your low fuel warning light come on, what amount of fuel is still left in the tank?

On my 2005, if I fill the bike while it's on the side stand the fuel gauge will read totally full for about 10 miles. The low fuel light will come on when there is about 1 gallon of fuel left in the tank.

I've read before that if the metal tube in the gas tank which is the fuel level sender gets dented by shoving the gas pump fuel nozzle in the fuel tank, then the fuel gauge wont read properly until the sender gets replaced.

The HEX code company which sells the GS911, has listed as a possible future sub-function, the ability to Calibrate the fuel Tank reserve light. But they've listed that on their website for years now, so I expect we will never see it. I believe the BMW dealer with their special computer tools can re-calibrate the low fuel warning light, assuming the sender in the tank isn't damaged.
JaL3_SD likes this.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Garage

My problem on the '01 is that when I fill up, on the center stand, and the tank is completely filled, the fuel gauge only shows 3/4 tank. It will then run through the gas and the tank will show 1/4 tank, so I fill up and it only takes about 3.4 gallons. So that tells me, if I am reading it correctly, is that the fuel guge reading and the actual amount are off.

Any suggestions or do I just stick with the issue...
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 2:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSnape View Post
My problem on the '01 is that when I fill up, on the center stand, and the tank is completely filled, the fuel gauge only shows 3/4 tank. It will then run through the gas and the tank will show 1/4 tank, so I fill up and it only takes about 3.4 gallons. So that tells me, if I am reading it correctly, is that the fuel guge reading and the actual amount are off.

Any suggestions or do I just stick with the issue...
No, the problem is that you are filling it while on the center stand and you can't get a full fill, thus the gauge shows 3/4 full. Fill on the side stand and you will get a full fill.
ProfSnape likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker

85 K100RT - (wore out)
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Garage

My 01' never goes to the full mark when I fill up on the side stand. It gets dang close but not quite there. It also starts to drops down within 10 miles or so. I do know the low fuel light comes on with ~1 gallon of gas left as I ran it to that point several times and it always took around 5 gallons to fill it up (give or take a little). When I pulled the fuel sending unit out to replace the filter and hoses I looked at the design and it appears the system looks at the resistance across the connection. As the float raises up (full tank) it shows a low resistance and float goes down (low tank) it has a higher resistance. I used some scotch bright pad to clean the wires and float bridge as best I could to see if that helps. It didn't seem to make any difference so I'm thinking my 15 year old float doesn't float as high as it used to register a completely full tank. It still gets to the low point that the system recognizes as the low level point and triggers the light. I could try and modify it to read the way I want but the important part works, the light to tell me "you're going to be walking soon.". lol
ProfSnape likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Below are the instructions from the repair manual. I believe that "shorting" out certain pins would accomplish the same thing as the MoDiTeC.

Calibrating the immersion-tube sensor
L Note:
The immersion-tube sensor has to be calibrated if it or the fuel tank has been replaced.
Calibration allows the reserve fuel capacity of the fuel tank to be adjusted to suit customer preferences.
• Pour 4 litres (0.88 Imp. gal/1.06 US gal) of fuel (or the quantity requested by the customer) into the empty fuel tank.
• Connect the MoDiTeC to the diagnosis connector beneath the saddle.
• Call up the TOOLBOX menu on the diagnostic unit and select the PROGRAM TANK RESERVE item.
• Follow the MoDiTeC instructions.
Thanks. I guess the light should come on with that volume so next time the light comes on, I'll see how much is left. Then at least I know if I actually have an issue or maybe I'm just imagining things..

post #15 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 5:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mine normally shows about 40 miles to empty, so about a gallon left. I have gotten it down under 10 miles to empty and it shows -- when I want to change the filter, those miles are a little scary.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker

85 K100RT - (wore out)
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2017, 4:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
I've read before that if the metal tube in the gas tank which is the fuel level sender gets dented by shoving the gas pump fuel nozzle in the fuel tank, then the fuel gauge wont read properly until the sender gets replaced.
A dented metal fuel level float tube can be fixed - I did mine after the fuel tank had collapsed from a pinched vent line. The collapsed tank dented in the float tube, preventing the float from dropping below about 1/4 tank resulting in an erroneous fuel gauge reading (and me running out of gas). Once back home, I pulled the tupperware off and the float assembly from the tank. The assembly can be taken apart and I used a metal pipe to roll out the dent from the inside of the tube and then reassembled and reinstalled everything. After that, I performed a modified cannisterectomy (left it in, but plugged the return line and venting the tank to the ground) and was more careful with the fuel nozzle in the tank.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #17 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 7:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The GS-911 will NOT reset the low fuel light. It can only be done by shorting a pin on the diagnostic connector when you have 1 gallon (or level of your choice) of fuel in the tank. This is good for all years of LT.

1. Empty the tank and fill it with 1 gallon (or your desired quantity).
2. Make sure you have access to the diagnostic port of the Motorcycle and identify pin 3 and pin 4.
3. Turn the ignition on.
4. On the diagnostic port, short pin 3 (brown/black) and pin 4 (brown) for two seconds. (Make sure you have the CORRECT pins - you don't want to short Battery voltage to GROUND by mistake).
5. The tank reserve light should flash quickly. When the flashing ends, the calibration is complete.

While we all recommend filling the tank on the side stand, this procedure should be done on the center stand.

I actually got mine to go to the top of the scale last time I filled up but I thought it was going to overflow with that last gas nozzle squeeze. This has only happened three times in my 12 years of ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Cal.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	121905  
beech, ProfSnape and JaL3_SD like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 21 Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The GS-911 will NOT reset the low fuel light. It can only be done by shorting a pin on the diagnostic connector when you have 1 gallon (or level of your choice) of fuel in the tank. This is good for all years of LT.

1. Empty the tank and fill it with 1 gallon (or your desired quantity).
2. Make sure you have access to the diagnostic port of the Motorcycle and identify pin 3 and pin 4.
3. Turn the ignition on.
4. On the diagnostic port, short pin 3 (brown/black) and pin 4 (brown) for two seconds. (Make sure you have the CORRECT pins - you don't want to short Battery voltage to GROUND by mistake).
5. The tank reserve light should flash quickly. When the flashing ends, the calibration is complete.

While we all recommend filling the tank on the side stand, this procedure should be done on the center stand.

I actually got mine to go to the top of the scale last time I filled up but I thought it was going to overflow with that last gas nozzle squeeze. This has only happened three times in my 12 years of ownership.
Perfect! This exactly what I was after so thank you kind sir, much appreciated.

post #19 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Garage

I see the general reccomendation is to fill the tank with the bike on the side stand; Having a Sidecar attached kinda makes this hard to do So my question is, does anyone have an idea of how much capacity I am losing by only being able to fill as if the bike was on the centerstand?

And thanks for the info and picture on the Low fuel reset. Will be doing this shortly during my winter maintanence.

John

post #20 of 21 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 11:43 pm

It is not much more than a pint or so. No worries. But having the luxury of a side car, if needed why not carry a two gallon can in the hack? Or mount:
RotopaX 1-Gallon Gasoline fuel pack | TwistedThrottle.com
Thus saving room in the hack for beer.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 26th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Garage

Truth!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in