Which Custom Seat to Buy? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Which Custom Seat to Buy?

The stock seat sucks. On my Harleys I had Mustang seats, other than the Electraglide which has a very comfortable stock seat. Are the Rick Mayer seats or the Russell seats heated? How the hell can you possibly tell that if they measure you for the seat it will actually be comfortable for the long haul?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 7:41 pm
post #3 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Smile

Being a former HD guy myself with 7 dressers in my past I know from what you speak of the seat.

I have an 05 LT and the stock seat is a POS. I also have both the Russell and Corbin LT seat.. Both are great. Just follow the directions from Russell for fitting for you body type and you will not be disappointed. This is my 2nd Russell, the other was on my V-Strom.

Corbin works for some and not others. I favor the Corbin more than the Russell for my LT, but thats me. You won't go wrong with either.

Made a wonderful difference....

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #4 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Are the replacement seats heated? I just got the bike.

Thanks.
post #5 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 8:18 pm

The ol Billy Baruuu. Billy, I too am an HD dresser convert and my 05 LT seat absolutely sucked. I went with Russell...best money I ever spent, had to wait 10 weeks for a production spot, but well worth it, and YES it is heated.

F
post #6 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Great Russell Seat

I completed 1500 miles in less than 36 hours last week on my new Russell and was nothing short of amazed.

I had experienced some significant discomfort on my last 1200 mile ride on the stock seat, so I couldn't agree with you more about the stock.

Didi
99 K12LT "Gerti"
post #7 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:55 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
The stock seat sucks. On my Harleys I had Mustang seats, other than the Electraglide which has a very comfortable stock seat. Are the Rick Mayer seats or the Russell seats heated? How the hell can you possibly tell that if they measure you for the seat it will actually be comfortable for the long haul?
Howdy Billy,

HERE is a poll on which saddle the members have and whether they would buy it again. Also there is quite a bit of commentary to go along with it.

I know that Russell will re-use the seat heater from the LT when making the saddle. I am pretty sure that they have an "after market" one they can put on if your saddle doesn't come with a heated seat.

I believe Rick will re-use the heating element as well, but not sure if he has an "after market" one. Rick is only a phone call a way and happy to answer questions.

On the fit from a photo and long term comfort. The guys who make these seats all the time are pretty good and they can "adjust" the fit after you've ridden awhile to make just right.

Knowing what I know now about Russell and Rick Mayer, I would not hesitate to use the mail in method if I lived too far to ride in.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:43 pm

I have a KonTour on the LT and it has made a big difference and a Bill "Rocky" Mayer on another bike and it is great. Bill and Rick are brothers one is in So Cal the other in Nor Cal and they are different companies. My friend just got a seat made by Rocky and he is thrilled with it and he has tried a Russel, Sargent's and a Rick Mayer. The best way to get a custom seat done is with a "ride in" appointment, they all seem to be about $500. Good luck!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:52 pm

I'm getting a Russell made this winter. IMO, it's the only choice.
post #10 of 19 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 1:46 am

In July, I made a 6000 mile trip, nearly coast to coast, on a Kontour seat with no problems. I wouldn't trade it for hot weather riding. The seat has 20K on it now and it shows no wear whatsoever. It's a departure from the non breathable vinyl and leather standards, but worth the risk IMO. (Someone will argue that leather is breathable, Press it to your mouth and blow....you'll pop a lung...it's not very breathable) Only two drawbacks for the Kontour seat that I can think of; the price is a little steep... I was expecting solid gold stitching when mine arrived. and I think it could use a slight widening in the rear..... not quite to the extent of a tractor seat but more than the stock. It would be absolutely perfect for me at that point.
Ron at Kontour provided a materials and pricing breakdown awhile back which was very interesting. I'm sure he could find it again if asked. IF I had it to do over again....I would be tempted to use Rick Mayer, but I really like the Kontour material. I'd probably stick with Kontour.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #11 of 19 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 2:16 am

Regardless of measurements etc, think about any custom seat is going to be an improvement over stock. Also agree about the Electraglide, I can do many more miles on one of them than my LT, even with the custom seat. For $500 you are talking front seat only with most these guys. Mine was closer to a thousand than five hundred.
post #12 of 19 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 2:43 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Congrats on the BB, Didi.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 19 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 6:30 pm

I agree. I love looks and wear of the material on my Kontour, 15K and still looks like new. I just wish it was wider and more of a tractor style in the rear and still narrow at the front.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #14 of 19 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for the informed replies. It helped a lot and I plan to order a seat from Rick Mayer.

Billy
post #15 of 19 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Will somebody please explain the various people and what they do with regard to Rick Mayer, Rocky Mayer, Russell mayer, and Bill Mayer (who by the website appears to be the father of Rocky Mayer). What is the difference in the seats they make?
post #16 of 19 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Will somebody please explain the various people and what they do with regard to Rick Mayer, Rocky Mayer, Russell mayer, and Bill Mayer (who by the website appears to be the father of Rocky Mayer). What is the difference in the seats they make?
Remember the Farkle family from Laugh In?

"The Farkle Family was a recurring skit on the television variety show Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. The Farkle parents, played by Dan Rowan and Jo Anne Worley, both had dark-colored hair and good eyesight. Curiously, all the children had red hair and wore glasses, just like their "good friend and trusty neighbor" Ferd Berfle, played by Dick Martin. The youngest daughter, Flicker Farkle, was played by Ruth Buzzi.
The youngest was actually Sparkle, not Flicker. (Much more fun to say.) They also had the twins, Simon and Gar Farkle."

I think there was one more member of the family: Messenger 13 Farkle - but he has since disavowed any relationship with the rest of his fellow "farklers". and reputedly DOES NOT LIKE CHROME.

I could give you a sordid history of death, jealousy, lawsuits and knock down drag out fights - but it would take up WAY too much bandwidth... and.... the last time I checked there is no Russell Mayer - but 'cha NEVER know!

Part two of your question:

Rick makes seats by dishing out the foam and replacing it with some visco foam, and at the same time builds up the outsides with a combination of urethane and visco foam. Uses off the shelf leather and vinyl. He makes great seats.

Rocky (brother to Rick and son of Bill, deceased) uses one of 3 different density dished foam molds to make your seat out of polyurethane - this was more or less inherited from Bill who designed the first truly custom seat back in the 70's. Uses off the shelf vinyl and leather. Many people report great success with his seats.

Russell - and I'm not sure who owns it now - was recently purchased. They use a spring suspension and foam to build up the seat and use fairly extreme dishing - this method was patented but the patent ran out a loooonnng time ago. Uses off the shelf vinyl and leather. I believe it was Bill Mayer who originally patented this design and sold it to Russell. Russel has a loyal following and makes excellent seats.

One thing they all have in common is the "tractor seat" shape, with Russell being the most extreme, Rick next, and Rocky less so.

There's probably a lot more history here but I think I've got it pretty well covered...

(with perforated 100% breathable polyester fabric! )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laugh in.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	8167  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 12th, 2006 at 9:52 pm.
post #17 of 19 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:00 pm

I dont' know how Rick Mayer does it, but measuring you he can make a really good seat.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #18 of 19 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
That's a pretty fair synopsis, Ron.

Basically, Rocky ended up with the legal rights to the Bill Mayer name, so some folks use Rocky and Bill interchangeably. Rick is a brother, with his own seat design, and Russell is not related but is using a design similar to Bill's original design.

All of them make fine seats that are well above what comes stock on most bikes, as do most of the other custom seat manufacturers. And they all have their satisfied customers, as well as a few inevitable unsatisfied ones. Your best bet is to do some research, ask some questions, then go with what seems best for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 19 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:21 am

Rich's Custom Seats

I am surprised no one has mentioned Rich's Custom Seats.

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

He rides an LT and is well known in the LD riding community.

No interest, yada, yada, yada.

Mike
IBA #433

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in