2Likes
  • 1 Post By mtrevelino
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
HID High beam question

HI all
Perhaps some tech savvy rider can shed some "light" on this.. I don't know quite how to ask in Google search to get a clear answer.
I understand that it can take up to 15 seconds or more to get full brightness out of the HID on an LT. My question is this. If say you use your high beam on a normal road. Of course you'll want to dip them for approaching cars. When you go back to High beam, does the HID take as long to warm up to it's full brightness?
I would think that if not off for a long time, it would keep it's "warmth" and brighten faster, but i'm not technical enough to figure it out.
Any inputs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Re: HID High beam question

Instead of 15 seconds, it would take from 5 to 10 seconds to get to full brightness. I would install a led or one of those silver star bulbs some talk about.
zippy_gg likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 9:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Switching an HID bulb off and on is not a good idea. Even the cars with HID have a baffle that directs the light from the same bulb for both high and low beams and does not turn one on and off. LED or or a good Halogen will last longer in that application.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 9:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Once you put a low beam HID in you will not need a high beam. You are correct that using a HID for a high beam might have the issues you listed and therefore not be as effective. As mentioned cycling a HID isn't a good idea.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 10:04 pm

I went with an LED for the low beam and once I did that, as stated, the high beam was useless as it was not bright enough to make much of a difference over what the LED was putting out. I have a HID high beam with added LED light bars for my high beam as the HID is not a fast start and takes too long to brighten up when you need it. I have not been able to find a suitable LED bulb that will fit the hole in the high beam reflector. The hole is oddly shaped and the larger round H3 LED bulbs do not fit through the hole plus modification of the carrier pieces is required to add a HID high beam. JZeller also informed me that putting a 100W H3 Halogen in is not safe as the wiring for the high beam is not large enough to handle the added current and can melt and short out or possibly catch fire.

Try the Phillips or Cree H7 low beam with the banded heat sink not the fans on the back. You may find you don't need a high beam for your riding.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Garage

Now i'm wondering if i made a mistake. So many post about the XenonDepot h9 high beam light is positive. Yes you loose the flashing option, but the light that it gives out is awesome on long dark roads. Anyway, i went ahead and installed it, but now wondering if i should have gone with an LED (which i haven't been able to find by the way).
I asked the original question because of the fact that i did notice a slight shortening of warm up time when used after a short dipping.
I can't imagine the folks a XenonDepot would sell something without warning about the effects of on and off operations. Aren't some Cars configured in this matter, i.e. the separate bulbs for low and high beam.
So far i've been extremely happy with the bulb. Not overly concerned about the lifespan, as a replacement isn't THAT expensive.
Anyway, thanks for those who responded.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Garage

I now find that xenon depot does in fact sell an direct replacement LED h9 bulb. HMMMM wonder if it would be worth the 75 bucks to change it out from the HID. Guess i'll have to email them, as i'm not sure if i need a Canbus of not. Anyone explain what they mean by Canbus??? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions. After being on a harley for 35 years, this BMW is a complete learning experience.
Joe

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
I now find that xenon depot does in fact sell an direct replacement LED h9 bulb. HMMMM wonder if it would be worth the 75 bucks to change it out from the HID. Guess i'll have to email them, as i'm not sure if i need a Canbus of not. Anyone explain what they mean by Canbus??? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions. After being on a harley for 35 years, this BMW is a complete learning experience.
Joe
The LT never moved to the Canbus so you won't have to worry about that. In a Canbus system, the computer controls everything including lights so if a light burns out, it notifies you because the amount of current it should detect isn't there any longer. LED bulbs draw much less current and the Canbus sees that as a burned out bulb but in the case of my car, it would turn it on and off looking for it. Not a good thing for a headlight on a dark road.

I have an older LT and the high beam is an H3 inside the main headlight fixture not mounted separately underneath with an H9. I am not familiar with the H9 mounting or if there are any chalanges with the LED types available myself but for the High beam, LED had advantages of being instant on at full brightness so you don't have to have it on all the time and dim for oncoming. One downfall of many LED bulbs is they are built with a fan on the heatsink and this can make them much larger not properly fitting inside the fixtures requiring back covers to be left off. The fan can fail and if it does, the bulb will overheat and shut down.

If I were going to try it, I would go for something like this for $22 with no fan. I have the H3 Phillips version but this is cheap to try if they fit. Looks like an H8/H9 combo so one would be useless.

https://www.amazon.com/Xenlight-Head...eywords=led+h9

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Garage

bmwcoolk1200. Check out the new LED h9 bulb offered by XenonDepot. Looks interesting. Might give them a call and see what the difference would be with my H9 HID.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 9:52 am

Quote:
bmwcoolk1200. Check out the new LED h9 bulb offered by XenonDepot. Looks interesting. Might give them a call and see what the difference would be with my H9 HID.
Nice looking bulb but they don't show the back side where the wires come out. I am not familiar with the undermounted high beam and its space requirements but the XenonDepot H9 is the same type as I mentioned without a fan even if it is 4 times the cost. It may be worth it for fitment depending on wiring and space limitations of how the wires attach to the bulb and how much space that takes up.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Garage

After speaking with xenon depot, i think i'll just keep my HID until it fails. They did say it's not the best thing to cycle on and off for dimming, but also said that the warm up time is much faster when its not a cold start. The worst it can do is shorten it's life, and at that time, i may upgrade to the LED.
They also said that I would miss the brightness of the HID as the LED is not as bright.
Also, a replacement HID bulb, is not much more expensive than the normal xenon bulb.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Quote:
After speaking with xenon depot, i think i'll just keep my HID until it fails. They did say it's not the best thing to cycle on and off for dimming, but also said that the warm up time is much faster when its not a cold start. The worst it can do is shorten it's life, and at that time, i may upgrade to the LED.
They also said that I would miss the brightness of the HID as the LED is not as bright.
Also, a replacement HID bulb, is not much more expensive than the normal xenon bulb.
Since you have already gotten it, I hope you are happy with it. I wasn't but needed something better than the 55W Halogen high beam bulb. Since I don't ride with my high beam on all the time, the delay was unacceptable to me with what I installed so I went with both. I light up the world with this setup. One is a 30W 2500 lumen spot and the other is a 30W 2500 lumen flood so instant on, good coverage and then more when the HID warms up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02159.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	121777  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #13 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 1:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that set-up isn't actually street legal.

I got stopped one night because the Sheriff's Deputy, who had a car pulled over on our small county road, saw my HID high beam coming around the corner and thought it was one of those pickup trucks with a LED light bar, which aren't street legal.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that set-up isn't actually street legal.

I got stopped one night because the Sheriff's Deputy, who had a car pulled over on our small county road, saw my HID high beam coming around the corner and thought it was one of those pickup trucks with a LED light bar, which aren't street legal.
Probably not street legal but then neither are people putting HID bulbs in fixtures not approved for them. I see " upgraded" cars all the time and they are really hard to see around and those are the low beams. I get enough light from my LED low beam for most situations but on dark unlit mountain roads, I will take the chance an officer will ticket me in exchange for the chance to avoid a deer or other critter encroaching on the side of the road that might cause injury to me or my bike. Like I said, I don't ride with my high beam on unless I need it. The low beam is to be seen. The High beam is for me to see with.
BeemerJoe likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in