Headlight Switch - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By St0rm1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Headlight Switch

On this 01 LT I just got from my brother, you have the headlight switch on the left side. It has 3 positions top-high beam, middle parking and lower I assume is low beam. Question is when I try to turn it to the lower setting it does not stay .Its like a press and release . Is this the way it suppose to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 7:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Headlight Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majormike View Post
On this 01 LT I just got from my brother, you have the headlight switch on the left side. It has 3 positions top-high beam, middle parking and lower I assume is low beam. Question is when I try to turn it to the lower setting it does not stay .Its like a press and release . Is this the way it suppose to work?
Yes. Top is high, middle is low and the lower momentary is flash of the high beams to indicate passing (more common in Europe than state-side).

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt reply. When it is on the middle setting, the only light that is on within the headlamp assembly is almost like a flashlight bulb that is lit. The high beam is on for sure and the passing toggle works. I could attach some photos if that would help. Sorry , this is the first BMW I have owned (50 years of Honda ownership)

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Your H7 low beam bulb is burned out. That little "flashlight" bulb is the parking light. If you turn the key all the way to the left, it will turn on that light and the rear parking light.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 9:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That "parking light" is also on all the time the headlight is on you just don't notice it until the low beam burns out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, something else to add to the list. No wonder my brother gave it to me. Since he has the 3 Harley's in the garage. Really though the appearance of the bike is good being a 2001. Issues I have to address are: new rear tire. ABS lights flashing. I put a new battery in a week ago as it had set at his house and died. I have only ridden it around the block as the tags are expired. The brakes squealed a little and I believe that is because he lives off a dirt/rock road out in the country and they need to be addressed also. Just don't want it to be a money pit for me BTW 85K on the bike, but it did not cost me anything. Thanks to all the knowledge.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 8:49 am

And that tiny little bulb is barely noticed yet enough to drain a battery if left on.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply. When it is on the middle setting, the only light that is on within the headlamp assembly is almost like a flashlight bulb that is lit. The high beam is on for sure and the passing toggle works. I could attach some photos if that would help. Sorry , this is the first BMW I have owned (50 years of Honda ownership)
Start the engine and check again. If you turn the key to the fork lock position, that light will go out. Just don't turn to the extreme left position or it will come back on and run your battery down.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Great price on a fun bike. But it will not be free. There are some things you need to do. If it has rubber brake lines you need to change to Spiegler teflon/braided steel covered lines. The old rubber one fail in a bad manner, the insides rot and act as a check valve and lock up your brakes. You need to do a complete round of fluid changes including the brakes. A Clymer manual will help you a lot. And now that the ABS has thrown a fault for one reason or another (low level, low battery voltage, bad sensor, bad sensor wire, seized ABS pump....) you may need to clear the fault with a trip to the dealer, a GS-911 computer reading tool or this procedure:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...eset-long.html
If the ABS is in serious trouble, there is an outfit in Idaho that can repair that model.
https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/
Or you can put black tape over the lights. It is a multi function device so you just can't remove it as it runs the brake lights, speedo etc. You have a bit of a project on your hands. I think trying to start it with a low battery may have caused some of this. Do some searches on this forum for help as needed and the other forum
I-BMW.com; The K1200S, K1300S, K1300R, K1300GT, K1200GT BMW motorcycle Portal, Powered by vBulletin will have a lot of information also.
Even if you put some heavy money into this bike it will be worth it due to the original price.
Places like Beemerboneyard and Euromotoelectric are great places for filters and parts before you go to the dealer.
Majormike likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Garage

Quote:
Thanks, something else to add to the list. No wonder my brother gave it to me. Since he has the 3 Harley's in the garage. Really though the appearance of the bike is good being a 2001. Issues I have to address are: new rear tire. ABS lights flashing. I put a new battery in a week ago as it had set at his house and died. I have only ridden it around the block as the tags are expired. The brakes squealed a little and I believe that is because he lives off a dirt/rock road out in the country and they need to be addressed also. Just don't want it to be a money pit for me BTW 85K on the bike, but it did not cost me anything. Thanks to all the knowledge.
I've got an 01 with half those miles and I did many of the things mentioned so far. It's not so much a mileage as an age thing. There is a bit of an initial investment but once you finish you'll love the way your bike rides. The ABS light is probably low fluid (there are two reservoirs for the rear). The brakes do squeal, some more than others and there are a few things you can do to help it. Pay attention to the weight rating on the rear tire specifically, there are only a few tires recommended for our bike due to the weight. I'm no expert by any means but let me know if you need a hand and I'll be happy to try and help. I'm in the Saginaw, TX area so I'm not to far away.
beech likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in