2001 K1200 LT Computer Module - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

2001 K1200 LT Computer Module

Just joined the Forum and just obtained a 01 K1200LT from my brother. Gave it to me since he has the Harley's. I sold my longtime Valkyrie last year. Put in a new battery and the what I believe from looking online is the on board computer system. It shows PPP and stays illuminated even when the bike if turned off. Is the light suppose to stay on or is that something that is going to drain the battery? At this initial stage I don't care if the clock etc works. Went by a dealer and they said sure bring it in. Of course they did. I did get the dealer to explain how the reverse works or at least hope he told me right. The other thing is the ABS lights are flashing. Any suggestions on getting started. After selling by Valkyrie, I was thinking about giving up riding, but after 9 months getting the bug again.

Thanks in advance from Dallas , Texas
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1,009.9 KB, 103 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Garage
Re: 2001 K1200 LT Computer Module

If you need a new Motronic, I have one from a 2001 but the numbers need to match. If you take yours off, send me the numbers and I can let you know if they match. I am asking $125.00 for it. Thanks!
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 1:09 am

You have a nice bike, glad you want to ride again. The offer of a new computer is to be retained. Take the bike to your dealer and pay the price for getting started. Once you get your bike on the road, you have jobs. the original rubber brake hoses need replacing asap. Start reading all you can on the forums. BMW bikes need good batteries so keep your new one on a smart trickle charger every few days. Please come back to this thread with all your adventures in getting this bike on the road. Keep asking for help as needed. There are othe members with much more in depth knowledge that will help you no problem.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 4:54 pm

When you say the ABS lights are flashing, are you saying the continue to flash after you start riding? They always flash when the bike is first started. The normal progression is that one the bike starts moving, the lights quit flashing. If they continue to flash, there are several things to check on the bike. First and foremost check to make sure the fluid level in the reservoirs are at the proper level--including the rear reservoir which is located under the seat on the right side. Second thing I would check is the voltage level on the battery. Even if the battery has been on a tender, the overall strength of the battery can run down, especially on an older battery. You might need to replace the battery if it older or doesn't have enough juice. The ABS system on the LT's require a full powered battery. If the bike has been setting for some time, (or even if it hasn't really) flushing the brake lines is a good idea, and really not that hard. Even I can do it, and I am not a mechanic at all. You will also probably need the have the codes reset. Know anyone with a GS 911 code reader?
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 5:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

More information please.
Does the bike start?
ABS lights flash until you get rolling and are not a worry unless they continue to flash. The flash rate tells the problem. Look under "Technical" upper right, click on "Hall of Wisdom"
I had a '01 and IIRC the BC isn't related to the functioning of the bike. Just an informational readout.
Have you tried turning the handlebars to the lock position and locking them? That should turn off all the power to all accessories.
Have you tried resetting the BC?
You might just unplug the BC.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, I had a new battery installed this week. It does start and all the lights work. I really have not ridden it as of yet, just a few feet in the garage. Just picked it up at my brothers where it has been for a while (he is a Harley guy) Soon as the weather clears, will get out front and ride, have to get it inspected and tags etc. Help me out on what the BC is? My concern right now is that computer module that shows PPP and stays lit even when the bike is off. Since it stays on and I just put a new battery in, I have it on the trickle charger just in case. Love the looks of the bike and ready to ride it, may have to end up taking it to a dealer repair, but I know they are expensive. Thanks again for any info.
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 9:01 am

Where are you located? There are many members of this forum that are more than willing to lend a hand with any problems you are or might have. I certainly am no expert in much of anything, but I have had my LT (a 2000) for 11 years, and over that time and have learn a few things about the bike---most of it from this Forum, and very little of it from a Dealer. There are some people on this Forum that are real experts on the LT, and I would trust them much more than I would trust a Dealer to get you the real scoop. Have you know anyone with a GS 911 code reader? I'll bet there are some member near you that could help.

Again, just to restate what have been said before, it is normal for the ABS lights to flash upon start up. They should go off once the bike gets rolling.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 9:13 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the follow up. I am in Coppell, Texas which is in Dallas County. Just 15 minutes outside DFW airport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in