No More 30mm Socket Orders Please! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

No More 30mm Socket Orders Please!

I have posted a few times in the Socket Kit thread that all 50 sets I did are sold, and not to order any more. However, I keep getting orders, and have to refund them. I certainly don't like doing that, but I am not going to do any more of these, at least not at that price. It started out as a community service, thinking there would be maybe 10-15 sets, but it snowballed into 50 orders. I had a cutoff time for ordering, but evidently people just see the first post in the thread announcing the availability and read no further. Unfortunately I cannot edit that post now to put a "No Longer Available" notice in it, so am trying a different thread entirely.

Please, do not order any more. IF I ever decide to do this again, at a higher price, I will re-post.

Sorry for disappointing all those that have placed late orders.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 8:10 pm

Dave,
I had sent you a PM asking what the dimensions were so that I could make one for myself, I am a tool & die maker and have access to the machinery to make some of these with a precision window and I would like to do my part to help some of the fellow LT owners and to have a positive contribution to this site.

I may regret saying this, but I would be willing to make a few of these as my free time allows for other members of this site.

Because I know that you probably researched it, could you tell me your source for the sockets and I will order some.

Thanks
Dan Lins
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 8:20 pm

I know we all appreciate David's efforts. Frankly, I was a little surprized he priced them so low. The cost of the socket and wrench alone come close to his original price. For those who missed out on David's generousity, you can easily get them made on your own. I printed out a copy of the picture David posted a while back and went to a local machine shop to have the window cut in the socket. The socket is a little hard to find as the usual suppliers like Craftsman don't make them. I used one made by Proto, it was a tad pricey but better made than some of the others which I felt was important since a good chunk of material was about to be removed.
Again, many thanks to David for all his efforts on our behalf.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Smile

Just buy the tool from bmw and let the guy off the hook. The oem socket will not break the bank!!!

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I have posted a few times in the Socket Kit thread that all 50 sets I did are sold, and not to order any more. However, I keep getting orders, and have to refund them. I certainly don't like doing that, but I am not going to do any more of these, at least not at that price.
Simple David, STOP the refunds!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl57
Dave,
I had sent you a PM asking what the dimensions were so that I could make one for myself, I am a tool & die maker and have access to the machinery to make some of these with a precision window and I would like to do my part to help some of the fellow LT owners and to have a positive contribution to this site.

I may regret saying this, but I would be willing to make a few of these as my free time allows for other members of this site.

Because I know that you probably researched it, could you tell me your source for the sockets and I will order some.

Thanks
Dan Lins
The window starts 5/8" up from the bottom of the socket, and extends another 1-5/8" up, and is wide enough to allow for 60 degrees of rotation with the 12 MM Allen Wrench in place. I also cut about 1/2" off the short end of the Allen Wrench.

Be careful, I thought it would be just a few also.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Dave,

Thanks
Dan Lins
Huh, Dan... since you offered...
Do you know how much you would charge for the kit (with drill bit and all)?
I missed the boat on David's offer (I took the liberty of riding away for the weekend ) and find myself in need of removing the swing arm, etc...
Thanks for letting us know.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Gilles,
What I had in mind was just buying a few of the sockets and modifying them,
my thought was that the allen wrench and drill bit are off the shelf items that could be purchased just about anywhere,
but the sockets need to be machined and not everyone has access to the machinery to do this.
I could put together some kits if there really is an interest but I didnt want to buy a bunch of stuff and get stuck with them.
I would be willing to do these at my leisure for very little profit so the cost would basically be the cost of the socket and shipping rounded off.
I have not bought any of the sockets yet but have shopped around and the prices vary considerably but dont know if buying a cheap one is a good idea either.
I have not had my swingarm off yet and dont know how much torque get applied to this socket, can anyone tell me?

Dan Lins
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Gilles,
What I had in mind was just buying a few of the sockets and modifying them,
my thought was that the allen wrench and drill bit are off the shelf items that could be purchased just about anywhere,
You need a 6" long drill, somewhat common, but not all that easy for just anyone to get. I also cut 1/2" off the short end of the allen wrench, not easy for everyone.
Quote:
but the sockets need to be machined and not everyone has access to the machinery to do this.
I could put together some kits if there really is an interest but I didnt want to buy a bunch of stuff and get stuck with them.
I would be willing to do these at my leisure for very little profit so the cost would basically be the cost of the socket and shipping rounded off.
I have not bought any of the sockets yet but have shopped around and the prices vary considerably but dont know if buying a cheap one is a good idea either.
I have not had my swingarm off yet and dont know how much torque get applied to this socket, can anyone tell me?
160 and 200 NM, or 118 and 147 pound feet. So don't get a really cheap socket. The ones I machined were heavy duty industrial grade, not consumer grade. Also, it is much better to use 12 point sockets, not 6 point, to make re-positioning when tightening to prevent touching the allen wrench easy.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in