FM radio cuts out - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

FM radio cuts out

I read the many threads with regard to radio reception, but none of them addresses my problem specifically and they are quite old. So, I thought I would start a new one. My '06 LT's FM radio cuts in and out at times. It only seems to happen in town, but it's on every station. This tells me that it's not the station. The only thing that makes sense is that there are buildings in the way. However, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it does it... buildings or not. Now, I have never had this happen in my vehicles (the four legged kind) in the 20 years I have lived here. My dealer just kinda' scratches his head and says he cannot duplicate the problem. Last time I was there it happened five minutes after I pulled out of the lot. Anyone have any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 4:31 pm

It only does this with radio and not CD? If that's the case, first thing that I would check (and I am by no means an expert) is all of the antenna conections (back of the radio, follow the line all the way to the mounting point). Also, in the FAQ section, there is something in there about one specific problem with the antenna that has cropped up from time to time.

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 4:44 pm
Old Dawg

My 2002 did this on one station and after three radio replacements for other issues it still did it on that station. My 2005 does it on certain stations now (different ones from the '02). I almost have the feeling it has to do with the RDS signal... I would really like to know.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Ds

From the descriptions it sounds like the RDS / traffic info is cutting in but the volumne for it is set at zero / to low to hear so you lose oyur normal station to a low volumne RDS. not quite sure how to turn RDS of but it is something to do with the mute button and tell tale signs on your radio info screen.

HTH

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 5:31 am

jpannier,

My '05 does the same thing. However it is pretty consistant in the spots it does it. I just chalked it up to a weird BMW thing. Only happens a few times on my commute, occasionally and only for a second so it doesnt bother me.

Funny to hear other people are experiencing the same thing. I'll be interested to see if anyone can solve the mystery

BTW, my radio display does not change when it fades out.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #6 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 6:42 am

RDS info

this link has the destructiions for the radio attached

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11097

from there to turn RDS on and off hold down the top left button for 2 seconds and the display will show RDS on or RDS off - press the same button to toggle status on or off.

Also at the far right of the LCD dsiplay could be the symbols TP or T. T means that the selected radio channel broadcasts RDS but it is inactive, TP means it is active. holding the mute button for more than 2 secs will toggle the T/TP display.

Also during one of the quiet spells try increasing the radio volume.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in