while looking for new ride, also what else to use for search - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By Fun Bobby
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 3 Post By 99+bmw
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 2 Post By BeemerJoe
  • 1 Post By norton
  • 2 Post By cwarren

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 12:52 am Thread Starter

while looking for new ride, also what else to use for search

Some of yall know I'm look for a new ride for me.

Well I tend to analyze a lot, but was wondering what everyone thinks about this... While looking what is for sale (only the K1200LT) . I have found that there is a VERY large number of 2005's for sale. This is the number I have found for sale by year.
1999 - 4
2000 - 9
2001 - 5
2002 - 10
2003 - 7
2004 - 0
2005 - 35
2006 - 6
2007 - 11
2008 - 8
2009 - 7

I am wondering is there that many 05's because of issues... or what ... was this the year they made the most... ? Anyway,on this should I consider staying away from the 2005 since its the 1st year of the new design???

Also what does everyone suggest to use to search for LT's for sale.... I primarily use cycle trader, have used craigslist but it hard when there isn't much in the area. Also for me it doesn't really matter the distance.... I somewhat have my limits, but if it ends up being what I want, then likely Ill go. (example I have gone from NW Ohio to TX to look). Im interested to see what yall suggest to search.... I have used the classified link through here, but have a lot of issues with it and seems hard to send a message, and the messages I have sent still haven't gotten any replies.

Thank you again for helping me out and give me some direction... again it is much appreciated

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 3:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: while looking for new ride, also what else to use for search

I bought my '07 LT off of eBay. Fortunately, the seller was local and I could go see it before taking the plunge. Since then, he and I have become friends and have a standing dinner date with several other local riders. He sold the LT to make room for a GTL, and I sold it to make way for my GTLE. The guy that bought mine had an earlier model version that had been totaled at 233,000 miles. He found out about my LT through this forum...
Moogmike likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 4:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
I bought my '07 LT off of eBay. Fortunately, the seller was local and I could go see it before taking the plunge. Since then, he and I have become friends and have a standing dinner date with several other local riders. He sold the LT to make room for a GTL, and I sold it to make way for my GTLE. The guy that bought mine had an earlier model version that had been totaled at 233,000 miles. He found out about my LT through this forum...
Ebay... thank you... not sure why I didn't think of that.

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 8:17 am

Moogmike,

Add another 2000LT to your tally. A great deal on a K1600GT became available a few weeks ago that I couldn't turn away. Thus, my 2000LT with many maintenance upgrades that are suggested on this forum are performed. Additionally, it has multiple LT accessory upgrades I use for the rallies I ride. PM me if you're interested in the details.

As for your search for a 2005 and newer K1200LT, be wary of the ABS. If the pump fails, you will have a very expensive repair bill for a replacement pump and labor. The ABS-2 pumps on the earlier LTs can be rebuilt.

You sound where I was three years ago when considering to venture into the BMW world. I am happy I made the leap. When it comes to a LT, I highly recommend purchasing one that has documented maintenance records. The LT requires a lot of TLC. Good luck with your search.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Moogmike likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogmike View Post

Well I tend to analyze a lot, but was wondering what everyone thinks about this... While looking what is for sale (only the K1200LT) . I have found that there is a VERY large number of 2005's for sale. This is the number I have found for sale by year.
1999 - 4
2000 - 9
2001 - 5
2002 - 10
2003 - 7
2004 - 0
2005 - 35
2006 - 6
2007 - 11
2008 - 8
2009 - 7

I am wondering is there that many 05's because of issues... or what ... was this the year they made the most... ? Anyway,on this should I consider staying away from the 2005 since its the 1st year of the new design???
My best educated guess about the high number of 2005 is just plain and simple - it follows a common pattern often seen in motorcycles and cars:
- By 2004, the original K1200LT was getting to be the same boring machine as little had been changed by BMW except the servos braking in 2002. It was not as exciting as it once was in 1999 when it had been introduced,

- ALso, by 2001 Honda had introduced a major update to their Gold-Wing with the GL1800 - the press had often put these 2 head-to-head, hence BMW had to make a move / response.

- In 2005 BMW presented a much improved K1200T with major updates and many additions. Hence it created higher sales and some previous owners of older K1200LT (1999-2004) took this opportunity to trade-in their older one for the 2005 models. Hence you see more 2005 on the market.

You see the same pattern with many brand when they introduced a brand exciting models (based on press reviews). By the next 2 years after the intro year, the sales will taper off.
Moogmike likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #6 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 9:19 am

Quote:

1999 - 4
2000 - 9
2001 - 5
2002 - 10
2003 - 7
2004 - 0
2005 - 35
2006 - 6
2007 - 11
2008 - 8
2009 - 7

Also what does everyone suggest to use to search for LT's for sale.... I primarily use cycle trader, have used craigslist but it hard when there isn't much in the area. Also for me it doesn't really matter the distance.... I somewhat have my limits, but if it ends up being what I want, then likely Ill go. (example I have gone from NW Ohio to TX to look). Im interested to see what yall suggest to search.... I have used the classified link through here, but have a lot of issues with it and seems hard to send a message, and the messages I have sent still haven't gotten any replies.

Thank you again for helping me out and give me some direction... again it is much appreciated

Mike
you wanna be happy with your purchase??? buy the bike that gives you the most wood period if you dont you will never be happy. you will always be sayin i should of got that sweet 08 or that nice 99 instead i bought this 06 because it wont have the problems the 05 should have but i hate the color and dont enjoy riding it ect ect
ibbones, ProfSnape and Moogmike like this.
post #7 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 9:42 am

I use Cycletrader. Ebay. I love my 04. But think the servo assist is ridiculous and troublesome if not flushed regularly.If I were to do it again.. I'd go for a 1999-2001. Simple ABS,No servos. But. Would grab a 04-09 if price is right. 05-09 They made some nice improvements. Like a tad bit more power and the instrument cluster is nicer.
Moogmike likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 8:06 am

Garage

I was lucky and found my 06 at a local dealer in Jacksonville Fl. almost 80% of the updates/upgrades had been done. I say 80%, because i'm not sure how to check for the hole drilling etc. got it 8 months ago for $6400, and i feel it was a great deal. i've put over 16000 miles on it since. (i ride, i don't pose). Anyway, since i've had it, out of curiosity i've kept watch on what the prices and availabilities have been, and have found they are getting scarce, or people are asking too much for them. Perhaps they realize that the value of the LT outweighs the "cost" of the GTL. I love my LT, and have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" to the GTL. Just my 2 cents
ProfSnape and Moogmike like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #9 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 11:12 am

Try motorcycles.oodle.com In my local area there were 193 BMW's listed for sale.

Good Luck
Moogmike likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #10 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
Moogmike,

Add another 2000LT to your tally. A great deal on a K1600GT became available a few weeks ago that I couldn't turn away. Thus, my 2000LT with many maintenance upgrades that are suggested on this forum are performed. Additionally, it has multiple LT accessory upgrades I use for the rallies I ride. PM me if you're interested in the details.

As for your search for a 2005 and newer K1200LT, be wary of the ABS. If the pump fails, you will have a very expensive repair bill for a replacement pump and labor. The ABS-2 pumps on the earlier LTs can be rebuilt.

You sound where I was three years ago when considering to venture into the BMW world. I am happy I made the leap. When it comes to a LT, I highly recommend purchasing one that has documented maintenance records. The LT requires a lot of TLC. Good luck with your search.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Rob-

I might be interested... I'm really liking a bike that has been taken care too.... my email is [email protected]. I figure I'll be be less expensive.
post #11 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
I was lucky and found my 06 at a local dealer in Jacksonville Fl. almost 80% of the updates/upgrades had been done. I say 80%, because i'm not sure how to check for the hole drilling etc. got it 8 months ago for $6400, and i feel it was a great deal. i've put over 16000 miles on it since. (i ride, i don't pose). Anyway, since i've had it, out of curiosity i've kept watch on what the prices and availabilities have been, and have found they are getting scarce, or people are asking too much for them. Perhaps they realize that the value of the LT outweighs the "cost" of the GTL. I love my LT, and have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" to the GTL. Just my 2 cents
I hear you Joe... I have noticed the prices seem to be going up not down. I happen to run across a bike that I guy had posted about 8 months ago and now he is asking 1500 more. I'd like to pay cash and keep my old bike too. If the price is higher then I can get a loan, but might look st selling my old bike. My issue is living in NW ohio.... after the salt hits the roads.... my bike doesn't. This year the 1st time was before Thanksgiving for a possible freezing rain issue. The brine spray is terrible. In time I'll find it... that I know.
post #12 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Quote:
I might be interested... I'm really liking a bike that has been taken care too.... my email is [email protected]. I figure I'll be be less expensive.
No problem. I'll email details.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #13 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Moogmike, my LT information was sent to your posted email.

If anyone else is interested in a 2000 K1200LT with many farkles, send me a PM and I'll forward you the details.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #14 of 16 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 1:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Try motorcycles.oodle.com In my local area there were 193 BMW's listed for sale.

Good Luck
Thank you Norton .... I will check that out
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 10:31 am

If anyone is interested, I wrote an excel macro that searches every craigslist site for motorcycles (whatever query you want to use), and logs the results.
JaL3_SD and Moogmike like this.

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
If anyone is interested, I wrote an excel macro that searches every craigslist site for motorcycles (whatever query you want to use), and logs the results.
@ Cwarren... I think that would be useful I'd be interested!

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in