Please post some LT pics (: - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:11 am Thread Starter

Please post some LT pics (:

Hello everybody,

I'm still interested in buying a second bike for touring and bad weather, but I haven't made up my mind yet (I'm torn between an accessorised 1200 RT and an LT).
Since I don't have in Romania, in any of the BMW dealerships an LT available, neither for test riding nor for pure viewing, I would like your help, please.
First of all I'm considering if for city traffic in bad weather the LT can be a suitable choice and for this I'm thinking of removing the topcase. Does it significantly improve the handling and performance of the bike ? Can you also please post some pics (if you have them) of your LT with and without the topcase ?
Also, I would like to understand better the color schemes - the official photos aren't really helpful (for example I love the black LT in the brochure for the new bike, but I don't understand if it's simple black metallic, or if it's darkgraphit metallic, or if it's magnesium black metallic - all these colours were available on the "new generation - 116 bhp" LT, from year to year). Some photos of real LT's ("new generation" ) would be really appreciated.
Also I'm still worried about moving from European highways to Alpine stretches of twisted road, I wouldn't want to get fast and comfortable to a dream destination I can't enjoy because I have to fight with my bike for every turn I'm taking. The versatility of the LT is a big worry for me, in contrast to the RT - but I don't really like the RT (or the GT) so ... Some suggestions/clarifications would still be welcomed on these issues.
Because it's really hard to order a bike that you have never seen nor ridden (:.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:16 am

Hi, welcome to the forum. If you check out the gallery section, you will see many photos of LT's with/without top boxes, and different colour schemes.

I have ridden mine all over Europe, Scandinavia, and parts of Africa - once you get used to the size and weight, and the very low speed handling charectaristics, Alpine passes are not a problem.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdravanul
Hello everybody,

I'm still interested in buying a second bike for touring and bad weather, but I haven't made up my mind yet (I'm torn between an accessorised 1200 RT and an LT).
Since I don't have in Romania, in any of the BMW dealerships an LT available, neither for test riding nor for pure viewing, I would like your help, please.
First of all I'm considering if for city traffic in bad weather the LT can be a suitable choice and for this I'm thinking of removing the topcase. Does it significantly improve the handling and performance of the bike ? Can you also please post some pics (if you have them) of your LT with and without the topcase ?
Also, I would like to understand better the color schemes - the official photos aren't really helpful (for example I love the black LT in the brochure for the new bike, but I don't understand if it's simple black metallic, or if it's darkgraphit metallic, or if it's magnesium black metallic - all these colours were available on the "new generation - 116 bhp" LT, from year to year). Some photos of real LT's ("new generation" ) would be really appreciated.
Also I'm still worried about moving from European highways to Alpine stretches of twisted road, I wouldn't want to get fast and comfortable to a dream destination I can't enjoy because I have to fight with my bike for every turn I'm taking. The versatility of the LT is a big worry for me, in contrast to the RT - but I don't really like the RT (or the GT) so ... Some suggestions/clarifications would still be welcomed on these issues.
Because it's really hard to order a bike that you have never seen nor ridden (:.
It does improve the handling with the topcase removed. I have road mind without the Topcase but now I have replaced it with the Corbin Smuggler, which I can not tell the difference with it or no topcase. The wind does not catch it as bad as with the topcase. The bike feels much lighter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170004.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	8085   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240001.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	8086  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #4 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Iacob,

Here is a pic of an '02 Black LT without the top case.

The LT does handle better without it, and will ride the Alps just fine. It is a heavy bike, but rides much better than it's weight suggests. I rode three weeks across the Alps and Europe and was just as comfortable in the mountains as on the highways or in the cities.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Once you get used to it , your,ll throw it around like any light weight bike but don,t attempt until after 3 weeks of ownership .

regards bikenumbnuts
05 your 05 updated in graphite
in blighty
post #6 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:35 pm

05 your 05 , i think i,m getting a little bit excited thinking about the time i went to Germany with my mate on his Suzuki 1200 bandit , he could,nt catch me on the twisties.
regards bikenumbnuts
04 your 05 updated in graphite
in blighty
post #7 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
05 your 05 , i think i,m getting a little bit excited thinking about the time i went to Germany with my mate on his Suzuki 1200 bandit , he could,nt catch me on the twisties.
regards bikenumbnuts
04 your 05 updated in graphite
in blighty
Try that again, I'm confused - got the bit bout Bandit in Germany, but the 05-05-04 bits sound more like a bank sort code

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #8 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdravanul
Hello everybody,

Thanks for the replies. Any additional pics and/or info is definitely appreciated.
post #9 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 4:20 pm
Gold Supporter

The new black (07) is a pure black and has no metal flake at all.

I love the LT for bad weather, especially high wind. I have owned Gold Wings and Harleys and neither is as nimble in wind or have the comforts that the LT comes with. Don't know about taking the top case off, never had a problem with it being on there and need all the space I can get. They do look pretty sharp without it though.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #10 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Meese (Ken (,

Can you please send me the colour code of the black paint you have ? It's the most interesting colour I've seen on the LT.
Also does anyone know what kind of black is on the bike shown in the new brochure for the "new LT" ?
post #11 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 6:38 pm

Here is my 05' in Dark Grey

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #12 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

It's really beautiful the DarkGrey 05 Do you know the official colour code, by any chance ?
post #13 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Talking 2003 LT in New Mexico

Here is mine...
Trip to AZ eariler this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04170013.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	8107   Click image for larger version

Name:	04170024.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	8108  

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #14 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
That's not actually my bike, just a pic of an '02 I found here. The color is Night Black and is listed as paint code 668 in this link.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
It does improve the handling with the topcase removed. I have road mind without the Topcase but now I have replaced it with the Corbin Smuggler, which I can not tell the difference with it or no topcase. The wind does not catch it as bad as with the topcase. The bike feels much lighter.
Damn...those are just simply awesome pics..!!
post #16 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 9:01 pm

great look guys without the trunk.
it really accentuates the lines...
i'm using the pic as my background
post #17 of 20 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:22 pm

No don't know the code but they only made it in Gold or the Dark Grey in 05'.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #18 of 20 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 2:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
That's not actually my bike, just a pic of an '02 I found here. The color is Night Black and is listed as paint code 668 in this link.
Thank you. Very good info. I'm eager to get additional pics and info on handling and performance.
post #19 of 20 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Try that again, I'm confused - got the bit bout Bandit in Germany, but the 05-05-04 bits sound more like a bank sort code
It's out of the DaVinci code....something Tom Hanks said.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #20 of 20 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:55 pm

The handling is the big reason I took off the trunk. The bike is much more responsive and is better in cross winds. When I switched bikes with a buddy, his was an 04' RT I couldn't wait to get back on the LT, much smoother and felt just as light.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in