• 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By norton
  • 1 Post By ProfSnape
  • 1 Post By Moogmike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 3:57 am Thread Starter

more info for the hunt for my LT

Hello all-

Thank you for the info I have gotten so far....

At the end of last season I tried several bikes. I really like the K1200 LT so that is what I am looking for. (what I tried... Yam RSV, Kaw Voyager, and Honda GW... still need to try BMW R1200 CL... like the unique look but don't like the rareness of it.) None of them felt like they fit me well till I sat on the LT.

My questions I have is which gen should I consider?? 1999-2004 or 2005 and up?? I cant really afford the K1600... could.. lol, for me to much money to spend. Anyway, one reason Id like to go newer is ... its newer, but also I like the added light, and figure hope more of the typical issues I hear about are resolved. I have seen the FD issues, but is there a year that its mostly been resolved by?? I also like the idea of the electric center stand, but have noticed it can have issue too.

So.... any input on things I should look for, pay attention to when riding..., mileage, wear... etc...?? It would be greatly considered and appreciated.

I'm upgrading because my wife likes to go riding with me and I enjoy having her go, also the kids are getting older so its soon to be getting easier to go for us to go on rides. My current ride is tight for two people but its doable, I currently have a 1997 Honda Magna, set up for a basic tour bike.

Well, in advance, thank you for the help!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 5:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: more info for the hunt for my LT

I happen to like the newer ('05 thru '09) LT's as they have the electronic center stand, better lights, different steering geometry, higher horsepower, updated instrument cluster, and have not had as many final drive issues compared to the earlier models. I have always been wary of extremely low mileage bikes, as it's questionable if they have been ridden and maintained, and the condition of fuel & brake lines, seals, etc. If I was in the market for an LT, I'd look for and '05 or newer, has good maintenance records, stainless steel brake lines, a top case latch in good condition (preferably with a Fix-It-Before-It-Breaks or a Fix-It-After-It-Breaks kit installed), the brake system is fully operable and system has been regularly bled, metal quick disconnect fuel line connectors, clean and cosmetically looks good. I wouldn't worry if the radio doesn't work, as I never really used mine as I used helmet speakers via a bluetooth communication system for music. Good luck on your quest for a new-to-you bike! The LT is a fine motorcycle with great weather protection.
Moogmike likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 5:58 am

depends on so many factors... like whats your budget,do you plan on doing all the work on the bike yourself,ect,ect
99-04 LT's are super cheap but you may have to do some work on it. as with anything there is no such thing as a cheap bmw. a good clean 99-04 should be 4-5$ grand. so if u spot a LT for 2k$$ expect to put alot of money into it.

in my case (former powersports dealer tech) price was the biggest factor so i was hunting for a 99-04. i look at a bikes condition. how has it been cared for like did the owners of the bike give it proper care. is there any service records? has it been garaged or left out in the sun all its life. (thats a big one for me) it probally will have been tipped over many times so expect that but has it been laid down at speed? look for a bike thats been loved look for dirt oil grease ect in all the unseen area's. that a quick wash wont get.

my LT is my first bmw cycle but a i read up on the common issues and was not scared to work on the bike. yes there is alot of body work to remove but nothing technical about it. once you figure out how to get it off for the first time it wont be a big deal and most things like engine oil,trans and final drive are very easy to do.

so dont be scared to own a older well cared for LT unless you have to take it to the dealer for service it will melt your credit card pretty quick.

so it all depends on your budget and skill level working on the bike. if you cant do any work on the bike yourself you would be better off buying new with a warranty but if you have some skills a clean 99-04 is hard to beat for 4k$
Moogmike likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 8:34 am

IMO, if you end up going with a 99-04 range, stick with the 99 - 01 as they do NOT have the integrated ABS system that can be troublesome and expensive to fix if it has issues. The ABS-II on the 99-01 works fine and is much more reliable and if it fails, you don't lose any of your braking, just the ABS function. As mentioned, find one with a good service history and as many upgrades like shocks and especially brake lines. Having a Saddleman final drive would be a big plus for reliability of that part but that can be done if required.

Another thing to look for is one that has already had the clutch O-ring replaced with a viton one and seals done along the way as they are getting older at that age. Weep holes drilled are a plus.

Good luck in your search.
Moogmike likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Ė Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Ė Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 10:26 am

The 2005 or later is the way to go. I have a 2007 and wife rides with me 95% of the time. I have test rode with her many of the new BMW's and competitors bikes and she loves the LT hands down. Some of the advantages are:

Electric/Hyd. center stand
More HP
Later bikes hopefully have had all tech bulletins and warranty upgrades done.
Xenon headlight
improved steering geometry for slow speed handling (really?)
fewer FD failures
New J&M voice II comm system worked fine until we upgraded to helmet mounted bluetooth system
New easier throttle cable
flat screen dash display with rider info readout
beefier shift linkage
Better motronics improve warm and cold weather performance
upgraded starter relay
Nicer looking front fender and chrome grill additions
Prices now for later models that are in good shape are getting very reasonable. The less mileage the less wear and tear. You could find a 2008 LT with less than 50K miles for around $8K. Also many of the bikes will have accessories that the cost won't be reflected in the asking price. For instance my bike has $5k worth of extras that I most likely could not recover those costs when I sell.

Good luck with your search.
Moogmike likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 10:43 am

Garage

What you are looking for is this....

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...4500-00-a.html

Moogmike likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 5th, 2017, 12:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSnape View Post
What you are looking for is this....

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...4500-00-a.html

Thank you for the link.... I think from multiple things, I am going to look for an 05 and up. I do like your luggage rack, its different than normal... I always like that... different. Im also trying to find a blue one, but thank you for the idea. I will also keep it in mind, because you never know, things can change.
ProfSnape likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in