Abs module malfunction - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Abs module malfunction

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2003 bmw k1200lt. I let it sit for a couple months. When I went to crank it up my battery was dead. I bought another battery and now when I hook up the battery the abs module is constantly buzzing like when you mash the brakes. Keep in mind the key is in the off position. Anyone have any suggestions? Anything I can try? With the key in the on position it does the same thing. The only way to stop it is unhook the battery. It wasn't doing it before I parked it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks timmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 11:53 pm

Re: Abs module malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toliver30471 View Post
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2003 bmw k1200lt. I let it sit for a couple months. When I went to crank it up my battery was dead. I bought another battery and now when I hook up the battery the abs module is constantly buzzing like when you mash the brakes. Keep in mind the key is in the off position. Anyone have any suggestions? Anything I can try? With the key in the on position it does the same thing. The only way to stop it is unhook the battery. It wasn't doing it before I parked it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks timmy
Timmy,
I don't have that model with the servo brakes but have you checked to see if the brake lights are on? If one of the front or rear switches are stuck or miss-adjusted, it may cause the motor to continuallty run. Check for any rocks or something keeping the break pedal from returning to the normal resting place.

I don't know if a GS911 will show any faults related to this but if you can find one to borrow, it might give you some insight to what is happening.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:51 am Thread Starter

I didn't recall seeing any brake lights. This is happening with the key out of the motorcycle in the off position. Thanks timmy

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Starting a BMW with a bad battery is nasty business. I believe you have welded the contacts on the ABS relay, 61 36 2 306 526 ABS MOTOR RELAY due to low voltage start attempt. I hope this is all. Your servo system is old and in the failure zone. Minimum repair is 1000$ + labor, and that is sending the unit to Germany for a rebuild. Don't even ask the cost of a new one. I say all this as a caution to readers to be careful with their bikes and battery condition. Don't go more than a week or two with out charging up.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. Where is the relay located and I'll ck it out. Thanks.
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 12:18 pm

There is no relay on the I-ABS. Read this thread and you may be able to see if you have the same issue. It could just be some corrosion you might be able to clean on the electronics. Module Masters still does not repair the actual ABS hardware though. It does sound like an issue with the module electronics though.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...y-key-off.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Okay thanks. It sounds like the same thing. I'm going to get down to the abs unit and see what I can find. Any idea what all has to be removed to take module out? Thanks again
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toliver30471 View Post
Okay thanks. It sounds like the same thing. I'm going to get down to the abs unit and see what I can find. Any idea what all has to be removed to take module out? Thanks again
I don't have that model and have never removed it so I am of little help there. I would look carefully to see if the circuit board can be removed without removing the ABS module and having to bleed all the lines.

Hopefully someone who has done this can enlighten us on the possibility of board removal without removing the module. No idea if it is possible or not.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Hey, thanks, I see the relay stopped in the 2000 model, the 03 is called Fully Intergral pressure modulator. So, I'm thinking as you, something on the internal side. And I bet the folks in Idaho can take care of it, which is good news, way cheaper.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 9:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Hopefully someone who has done this can enlighten us on the possibility of board removal without removing the module. No idea if it is possible or not.
In a 2004 to 2001(late) the CCB is under the top cover on the unit right where the plug is so you should be able to remove it without removing the unit. It is held by 4 security Torx screws so you will need a T20 (or T15) with a central hole. You can get them at Harbour Freight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS 2002.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	121297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics internal board 6.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	121305  
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 15 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

I have removed the fairings and I have my torque star bits with the hole. I'll be removing it tomorrow so I can send it to tyler at module masters. How exactly does the Electronic plug come outo of the module. Ithe looks like a clip on each side that u pushing with a screw driver or something but not 100% sure. Does anyone know when I remove the screws on the abs electronic board does it push in with pins or a cable or how do I remove the cover from the module? Thanks in advance. Timmy
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 30th, 2017, 9:18 am Thread Starter

I had to order a 5 star tamper proof bit off of amazon to remove the cover from the ABS Module. I didn't have to remove the module to take the cover off. It was a booger bear but I did it. There is 4 plugs and 2 computer like cables to unhook from the cover. Tyler at modulemaster.com was able to resolve the issue in 48 hours. I haven't actually rode the bike yet but the abs unit is not constantly running. I did crank the bike up and everything seems to be right. I still have to reinstall all the fairings and then I will be taking for a test ride. Can't speak highly enough about Tyler.
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 9:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sounds like Tyler fixed you up just fine. Hope you get to test her out fully soon.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 11:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Starting a BMW with a bad battery is nasty business. I believe you have welded the contacts on the ABS relay, 61 36 2 306 526 ABS MOTOR RELAY due to low voltage start attempt. I hope this is all. Your servo system is old and in the failure zone. Minimum repair is 1000$ + labor, and that is sending the unit to Germany for a rebuild. Don't even ask the cost of a new one. I say all this as a caution to readers to be careful with their bikes and battery condition. Don't go more than a week or two with out charging up.
Yup...bought mine from a BMW dealer with a bad ABS...they spent mucho pesos fixing it...but stood behind the sale. Think there is some TX law that you can't sell a vehicle with lights aplenty. Bike only had 20K when I bought it and the ABS light went on the first time I dropped it. Added fluid and it went off (whew)! Almost wish I didn't have ABS and wish the bike weighed about 200 lbs less. Love it when it is above 20mph all the way to the top. Thought about trading for something lighter, but after buying a spare rear-end, and investing a bunch of bucks, just can't find anything else close for a long distance tourer. Once you get the kinks worked out, you'll love it. Kinda like dating Adele...she's gorgeous, but a bit chunky!
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldus View Post
Yup...bought mine from a BMW dealer with a bad ABS...they spent mucho pesos fixing it...but stood behind the sale. Think there is some TX law that you can't sell a vehicle with lights aplenty. Bike only had 20K when I bought it and the ABS light went on the first time I dropped it. Added fluid and it went off (whew)! Almost wish I didn't have ABS and wish the bike weighed about 200 lbs less. Love it when it is above 20mph all the way to the top. Thought about trading for something lighter, but after buying a spare rear-end, and investing a bunch of bucks, just can't find anything else close for a long distance tourer. Once you get the kinks worked out, you'll love it. Kinda like dating Adele...she's gorgeous, but a bit chunky!
I agree on your general description of troublesome issues. And absolutely agree with the comment of weight and comfort. There really is no better tourer for the $$. It's just so nice 2 up, or touring alone. That big girl can really dance and dip on mountain switchbacks. On the tail of the Dragon last year. I ride once a year with some freinds from down south and up north. We all get together and go to TN/ NC and ride like we stole our steeds. The 3 guys I was with are lets say very spirited, riders. I consider them advanced. Very good riders. They had a 2 minute headstart on the Dragon. I caught up to them. Working that wonderfully geared transmission and suspension on the LT. They were a little surprised upon seeing me in their mirrors. Also what I love is the LT loves high speed freeway too. It's sweet spot seems to be 85. And it could do it all day too..So.If the ABS should fail on my 04. I would bypass if need be. Of course repair if available would be 1st choice. But. What's she really worth now anyway? BTW. The Adele comparison is a good one. LOL.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:24 am. Reason: Misspell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in