• 1 Post By MotoBones
  • 1 Post By BeemerJoe
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for Stubby Antenna

Folks, got a question. I am looking for a stubby antenna replacement for my long antenna. I seem to hit it all the time with my leg when I swing it over and it is getting annoying. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Pictures would be even better...I am visual learner.

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Looking for Stubby Antenna

Found this:

Tune Trapper Hidden AM FM Antennas For Motorcycles

Any thoughts?
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 10:12 pm

Look for short BMW antenna on Amazon. I have one on my RT and It works great. New here so I can't post links.
ProfSnape likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 7:45 am

On my '14 RT I swapped out the OEM antenna for a Raptor 4" Black Aluminum Mast (Universal AW-RMRM) which came with a slew of adapters, one of which worked great. Package has UPC 8642928578. $10 at AutoZone.
ProfSnape likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Garage

Jerry.
What i did seems to be the best solution as the LT antenna has a weird mounting (go figure). I just clipped the antenna down about half way (or more). Put the little plastic tip on the cut piece and voila, a shorty antenna. I had the radio on while doing it, and there was degradation of the reception. I don't listen to the radio that often, but it works..
This is the same mod i did years ago on my Harley electraglide, and have never had a problem.. Why pay for something, when a simple mod will work.
Joe
ProfSnape likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 6:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Jerry.
What i did seems to be the best solution as the LT antenna has a weird mounting (go figure). I just clipped the antenna down about half way (or more). Put the little plastic tip on the cut piece and voila, a shorty antenna. I had the radio on while doing it, and there was degradation of the reception. I don't listen to the radio that often, but it works..
This is the same mod i did years ago on my Harley electraglide, and have never had a problem.. Why pay for something, when a simple mod will work.
Joe
You degraded your reception substantially. You just didn't know it because of the magic of AGC circuits in all modern radios. The shortened antenna will greatly reduce reception when in areas of weak signals when the AGC is no longer limiting the output. If you aren't concerned about reception outside of urban areas, then you won't notice the degradation.
BeemerJoe likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 7:55 am

Garage

My previous post should have said that there was NO degradation of reception. and i agree with Voyager that there probably will be in outside areas, but i mostly use my smartphone connected via bluetooth or aux and listen to my stations via internet. most of my rides are long and stations come and go anyway.
Joe

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 8:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
My previous post should have said that there was NO degradation of reception. and i agree with Voyager that there probably will be in outside areas, but i mostly use my smartphone connected via bluetooth or aux and listen to my stations via internet. most of my rides are long and stations come and go anyway.
Joe
You clearly don't understand antennas and radios so I won't bother explaining the physics to you, but I simply want others to know that detuning an antenna has serious affects on reception. In a strong signal area, it won't affect what you hear OUT of the radio, because the AGC will simply attenuate the output less to account for the weaker input signal. However, what goes INTO the radio, aka the reception, has been seriously degraded. You will notice that by losing many miles of range in rural and mountainous areas where the signal is weak.

If you don't travel in such areas or don't use your radio, then it matters not. If you live where I do and travel where I do, it makes a huge difference.
BeemerJoe likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jan 13th, 2017 at 8:11 am. Reason: Typo
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 8:18 am

Garage

Voyager.. read my last post.. I fully understand antennas, and i do realize that they loose reception. I was just commenting that if you ride long distances as i do, your going to loose reception anyway, and with internet options, FM radio is just not that important to ME.. I was just giving my two cents worth, not looking for a reception argument. Just giving Profsnape another option, that's all.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 8:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Voyager.. read my last post.. I fully understand antennas, and i do realize that they loose reception. I was just commenting that if you ride long distances as i do, your going to loose reception anyway, and with internet options, FM radio is just not that important to ME.. I was just giving my two cents worth, not looking for a reception argument. Just giving Profsnape another option, that's all.
I read this "My previous post should have said that there was NO degradation of reception." That is a false statement. I am all about giving people options, but every option has its trade-offs and people need to know what they are giving up in one area to gain in another. Your comment suggested, at least to me, that you can shorten an antenna and gain convenience while giving up nothing. That simply isn't true.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 9:13 am

Hello Team,

I just purchased a used 2005 BMW K1200LT and it does not have the spring and whip. I looked online and it appears that BMW wants almost $200 for the spring base, the whip and the cap. I see that there are some suggestions online but haven't found anything definitive of what works best. Can anyone confirm that the raptor universal will work for my bike? How difficult is is to get to the radio back in the case I chose to change out the antenna as a whole?

Thanks for your help guys!

Mike Jones
Waxahachie Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in