oil change without filter change ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By SmokinJoe
  • 1 Post By 99+bmw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 10:50 am Thread Starter

oil change without filter change ??

Searched and couldn't find answer. Changing oil for winter storage and only have 2k miles since last change. I will drain oil using drain plug and will loosen the oil filter cover to drain oil out of there also, but won't be changing the filter. SO my question is how much oil to put in without filter change? Thanks guys

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 11:19 am

Re: oil change without filter change ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis View Post
Searched and couldn't find answer. Changing oil for winter storage and only have 2k miles since last change. I will drain oil using drain plug and will loosen the oil filter cover to drain oil out of there also, but won't be changing the filter. SO my question is how much oil to put in without filter change? Thanks guys
The Clymer manual does not specify the quantity without a filter change for the 99-04. With filter the quantity is listed as 3.5L ir 3.7 t

05 - on does have a oil only value of 3.5L or 3.7QT for oil only and with filter 3.75L or 4.0 QT

Personally, I would just add as much oil as was required to put the level between the bottom and top marks on the sight glass unless you have an issue with a dark glass. You can do the math based on that. If the filter is the same in both year ranges then just leave out .25L or .3 QT.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 11:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't know, but there is no need to know. Put in three quarts. Run engine a minute or two. Let it sit for five minutes. Check level and add more as needed.
vernvernvern likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 11:35 am

Quote:
When parking mine for winter storage, If I have done little mileage since previous oil change (mid summer sometimes), I do the same type of oil change without a filter change. Normally, you should expect about 3.25 US quarts (about 3.1 liters) to get about half way in sight glass.

Go to 3 us quarts first, then run it for a real 20 minutes ride (if you can), park for a night and re adjust as needed for half way mark (always on center-stand). I do not like to run in in garage for a few minutes only - not good habit before storage - engine needed to be fully warmed up to avoid moisture and harmfull deposits.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Just my opinion; With only 2k miles on the oil, I'd leave it until riding season and change the final drive & gear-case lube, engine Oil AND filter when ready to ride next season. The additives in the oil should be fine but may be spent 4-5 months when ready to ride next season.
The filter is the most important aspect of quality oil.
Patric likes this.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 7 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the good numbers and advice. IN the meantime I did find an article that said to fill the filter with .25 qt of oil, so I did the math.
Ride safe

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 31st, 2016, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the good numbers and advice. IN the meantime I did find an article that said to fill the filter with .25 qt of oil, so I did the math.
Ride safe
yes oil filter dont hold much. no harm i would get some diesel rated oil (lots of detergents i.e rotella 15w40 like 12-15$ for a gallon) run it then put it away then all off season your the oil can work on any deposits as it sits awaiting the new season
beech likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in