Flashing ABS on 2001 Lt. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Question Flashing ABS on 2001 Lt.

I have a 2001 Lt and my line from the rear reservoir to the master cylinder started to leak. I lost all the oil in the rear reservoir and now I am getting dreaded flashing ABS lights. I fixed the leak then I got my manual out and bled the ABS module and the brake calipers. I still have the ABS lights flashing at me. I did it again with help pumping the rear peddle and still no change. I tried to use a vaccum pump and I still have flashing ABS lights. I check to make sure there was still pads and they were about half or less gone. Does anyone have any ideals about what I am doing wrong?? I sure would appricate some help.
skurtenbach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 8:37 pm
Gold Supporter

If there is an error set in the ABS computer you will have to have the error reset by a dealer. There is no way to clear some error codes, what are called hard faults, without the dealers computer.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 9:00 pm

But you can always try disconnecting the battery for 30 min and see what happends?

BobZ

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:28 pm

skurtenbach,

I don't what's wrong with yours but I can tell you that I have a 2001 1200LT with the same problem. i.e. flashing ABS lights. The lights started flashing in the summer of 2005, four years after I purchased the motorcycle new. The motorcycle had 2200 miles on the odometer when the lights started flashing. I installed a new battery, checked the fluid level, and gauged the gap clearance at the wheel sensors but nothing made a difference, the lights continued to flash. The local BMW dealer in Fairbanks just shrugged his shoulders so I rode the bike to Anchorage in the summer of 2006 to have it checked out on the BMW computer at the Anchorage dealer. The Fairbanks dealer did not have a computer to check the system. The Anchorage dealer diagnosed a bad master ABS modulator and the part would cost $1700.00 for just the part. The install would be additional. I contacted BMW and asked them to give me a break on the part. I did not asked them to replace the modulator on warrenty or asked them to give me the part for free. I asked them only to give me a break on price based on the low mileage of the motorcycle. I was told in so many words to politely go pound sand (my words not there's but their message is very clear). No complaints here with their response. I've own many motorcycles and this is the first bike I've owned with ABS brakes. I don't think I need it and certainly don't intend to pay $2500.00 for a brake system that will most likely fail again in next 2500 miles. One thing for sure though is that after buying many BMWs in the past, this will be my last. I don't need to be told politely to go pound sand and they can kiss my modulator right on the head of its threaded fitting. I wish you better fortune with your problem.

Randy

Randy Smith
Fairbanks, Alaska
2001 BMW K1200LTC "Champagne"
1976 BMW 90/6
1996 Moto Guzzi California 1100i
1998 Moto Guzzi Centauro V10
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 5:56 am

My '99 went this year. The replacement price is crazy!
I ride without it, but this means that I wont be able to sell the thing - who would buy a big bike like this with a broken ABS?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:55 am

posted this before

I have posted this before, but I have 2000 LT purchased used with 8500 miles on it. At around 12000 miles, my ABS lights started flashing. I have had it reset twice now, and they work for a 1000 or so miles, then start flashing again. I was quoted 1500 for parts, plus labor, and I refuse to pay that on a bike that is at the most worth $7000, or would be worth that much if there ABS brakes were working. I am going to keep riding it, but I don't like it. I love to bike, but I think we have been sold a bill of goods on the reliability of the BMW bikes, and their superior engineering! I had (and still have) been ridding Harley's before this bike, and despite all of the negative attitude they receive on this web site, I have never had a major repair with one. Plus when I have had problems with it, getting it fixed was never a problem, and they don't depreciate nearly as much. Heck, my 1997 Ultra Classic with 50000 miles on it is worth more than my LT. I don't think I am going back to Harley, but I am pretty much decided my next bike isn't going to be a BMW either---and certainly it won't be a BMW without a warranty! Riding a BMW without a warranty is like playing Russian Roulette with your wallet. If HD stands for Hundred Dollars ( the old joke about Harley Davidsons) then certainly BMW stands for Break My Wallet. jrlakin
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg
skurtenbach,

I don't what's wrong with yours but I can tell you that I have a 2001 1200LT with the same problem. i.e. flashing ABS lights. The lights started flashing in the summer of 2005, four years after I purchased the motorcycle new. The motorcycle had 2200 miles on the odometer when the lights started flashing. I installed a new battery, checked the fluid level, and gauged the gap clearance at the wheel sensors but nothing made a difference, the lights continued to flash. The local BMW dealer in Fairbanks just shrugged his shoulders so I rode the bike to Anchorage in the summer of 2006 to have it checked out on the BMW computer at the Anchorage dealer. The Fairbanks dealer did not have a computer to check the system. The Anchorage dealer diagnosed a bad master ABS modulator and the part would cost $1700.00 for just the part. The install would be additional. I contacted BMW and asked them to give me a break on the part. I did not asked them to replace the modulator on warrenty or asked them to give me the part for free. I asked them only to give me a break on price based on the low mileage of the motorcycle. I was told in so many words to politely go pound sand (my words not there's but their message is very clear). No complaints here with their response. I've own many motorcycles and this is the first bike I've owned with ABS brakes. I don't think I need it and certainly don't intend to pay $2500.00 for a brake system that will most likely fail again in next 2500 miles. One thing for sure though is that after buying many BMWs in the past, this will be my last. I don't need to be told politely to go pound sand and they can kiss my modulator right on the head of its threaded fitting. I wish you better fortune with your problem.

Randy
I had mine replaced at Portland Motorcycle.. Went to BMW first and they said in so many words too bad out of warranty(2000 Icon with 18000 miles)
cost was 2100.00 . My dealer cut me some slack on the labor as I just had 6000.00 dollars worth of accident repair from NO ABS crash. They gave me a 2 year warranty on the unit.

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Hi Randy,
Don't write much in the forum, but I have had two 2001's, the first was totaled and bought another one from my dealer who tried desparately to talk me into the 2002 with the EVO brakes. I told him that my previous K1100LT lost it ABS modulator at a cost of $1000 and I rode it for over 100,000 more miles with fine brakes without the ABS. The 2001 one will do the same thing, not so for the very expensive EVO brake modulator. I told him that having owned four BMW's, I would never buy another with the EVO system on it. I absolutely love my 2001, and will ride it until the wheels fall off and then buy a Honda ST1300 instead of another GoldWing. Had two of those, and loved them both. Want something lighter and that will still pull my Bushtech. Just one man's opinion, but, there seem to be more of them. I wonder if the Motorrad guys even care....Best, Bob

Bob
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz
But you can always try disconnecting the battery for 30 min and see what happends?

BobZ
I disconnected the battery all night and no change. Thanks for the ideal though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in