Crankcase breather replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By sailor
  • 2 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 12:26 am Thread Starter

Garage
Crankcase breather replacement

It appears my breather is leaking and I'd like to replace it. I've seen several of the homemade versions that seem pretty easy to build. My question is how much do I need to disconnect to get the TB off to access the breather manifold? I already have the air box off but obviously need more room. Are there any adjustments or calibration procedures that need done once the TB is reinstalled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 1:00 am

Re: Crankcase breather replacement

A home made one might be the ticket. Here is a a thread that will help. Takes time of course because it is deep. Go slow. Big thing is to watch the clips on the intake manifold if you remove it, you don't want them to interfere with the throttle linkage. Check this before closing up. Also buy a long handled set of heavy duty needle nose pliers for some of the clips on the intake parts. There is a trick to get them off and back on.
crankcase breather - I-BMW.com

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 8:38 am

My suggestion is before disassembly, to take lots of pics. Both close up and back away a little. Good luck.

Scott
2007 LT

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 10:46 am

Definitely take pictures of the cable and wire and hose routing, before you pull off the fuel rail and TB. I made my own from 3/8 copper tube, a T joint, some 1/4 in brass hose barbs and a couple of caps There is a stubby version that is easier to build that uses one cap, the 1/4 in hose barbs and a short piece of 3/8 copper tubing.

If you are handy with some tools and a soldering torch, it is not hard to make. You can find a breather hose the right diameter at an auto parts store NOT heater hose. Somewhere on this site, there is a thread that outlines parts from Grainger that just threads together if you are not up to manufacturing your own.

I used a pair of long nose vise grips to put the clips back on. they apply more force more easily than the extra long needle nose pliers. As mentioned, if you do not get the screw clamps back the way they came off, they can interfere with the TB and jam it open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01419.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	120833   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01963.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	120841   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01953.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	120849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01954.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	120857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01955.JPG
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	120865  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01959.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	120873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01960.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	485.4 KB
ID:	120881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01961.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	120889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01962.JPG
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	120897  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Definitely take pictures of the cable and wire and hose routing, before you pull off the fuel rail and TB. I made my own from 3/8 copper tube, a T joint, some 1/4 in brass hose barbs and a couple of caps There is a stubby version that is easier to build that uses one cap, the 1/4 in hose barbs and a short piece of 3/8 copper tubing.

If you are handy with some tools and a soldering torch, it is not hard to make. You can find a breather hose the right diameter at an auto parts store NOT heater hose. Somewhere on this site, there is a thread that outlines parts from Grainger that just threads together if you are not up to manufacturing your own.

I used a pair of long nose vise grips to put the clips back on. they apply more force more easily than the extra long needle nose pliers. As mentioned, if you do not get the screw clamps back the way they came off, they can interfere with the TB and jam it open.
When I reinstall the fuel rail and TB do I need a GS 911? I haven't read the service manual to see if I need to calibrate anything or if it's just a physical installation.
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
When I reinstall the fuel rail and TB do I need a GS 911? I haven't read the service manual to see if I need to calibrate anything or if it's just a physical installation.
As long as you don't turn any screws or bend any brackets, you should not need a GS911 to replace the breather. Some have pulled so hard on the bracket holding the TVA that they bent it a little and the bike didn't idle right when they got it back together.

When you do get the TB off, take a good look at the rubber bushings to make sure they are not cracking. A good time to replace them if they are. Vacuum leaks there can also cause idle and performance issues.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #7 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
As long as you don't turn any screws or bend any brackets, you should not need a GS911 to replace the breather. Some have pulled so hard on the bracket holding the TVA that they bent it a little and the bike didn't idle right when they got it back together.

When you do get the TB off, take a good look at the rubber bushings to make sure they are not cracking. A good time to replace them if they are. Vacuum leaks there can also cause idle and performance issues.
I've been reading the general consecous is to replace the prints and boots while you're there. Those add up and get pricey quick. Lol.
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Quote:
I've been reading the general consecous is to replace the prints and boots while you're there. Those add up and get pricey quick. Lol.
You really do NOT want to go there twice anytime soon (remove Throttle-bodies)... unless you are a testing maniac like me ;-)
By the way, there is NO need to remove the Injectors and Fuel-Rail unless you have a problem related to these - the whole throttle-bodies assy can removed even with fuel-rail in place. Just a bit tricky to reach all clamps (below and above TB).

History of problems / maintenance on these K1200 with "brick-engine" clearly shows that ALL these rubber parts cause problems with age (8+ years) and should be all changed at same time while TB are removed:
(1) cranckase breather (4 into 1 rubber between engine and Throttle-bodies TB)

(2) Four rubber stubs under TB assy (between intake manifolds and TB)

(3) Four O-rings under intake manifolds (inspect manifolds surface for flatness)

(4) any small vacuum hose that looks old (these can be found cheap at any auto parts - bring one of white plastic "T" junction for size)
beech, bmwcoolk1200 and JaL3_SD like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
You really do NOT want to go there twice anytime soon (remove Throttle-bodies)... unless you are a testing maniac like me ;-)
By the way, there is NO need to remove the Injectors and Fuel-Rail unless you have a problem related to these - the whole throttle-bodies assy can removed even with fuel-rail in place. Just a bit tricky to reach all clamps (below and above TB).

History of problems / maintenance on these K1200 with "brick-engine" clearly shows that ALL these rubber parts cause problems with age (8+ years) and should be all changed at same time while TB are removed:
(1) cranckase breather (4 into 1 rubber between engine and Throttle-bodies TB)

(2) Four rubber stubs under TB assy (between intake manifolds and TB)

(3) Four O-rings under intake manifolds (inspect manifolds surface for flatness)

(4) any small vacuum hose that looks old (these can be found cheap at any auto parts - bring one of white plastic "T" junction for size)
I appreciate the info. At 14 years old I've replaced a fair amount of rubber parts since I got it. It only makes sense to replace them while I'm there. now to make the parts list and call the dealer and visit my hardware store.
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Quote:
I appreciate the info. At 14 years old I've replaced a fair amount of rubber parts since I got it. It only makes sense to replace them while I'm there. now to make the parts list and call the dealer and visit my hardware store.
Parts list from MAX-BMW web site:
(1) FOUR rubber sleeve / stubs (item 5, part no: 11 61 1 464 820):
MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 99-04 (89V3)

(2) from same diagram as above. FOUR O-RING (item 3, part no: 11 61 1 465 169):

(3) from same diagram as above: with a lot of care and a few tricks, you can re-use the FOUR special clamps, but better be safe and replace if you are not sure (item 6, part no: 13 54 1 465 098)

(4) Depending if you make your own 4-into-1 breather hose version, you will also need 1 of these and 4 clamps (item 5 and 6 in diagram below):
MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 99-04 (89V3)
dfinazzo and JaL3_SD like this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in