• 1 Post By Fun Bobby
  • 1 Post By EzyMount
  • 1 Post By johnT
  • 1 Post By Fun Bobby
  • 1 Post By johnT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

fog lights

soliciting opinions between Clearwater and PIAA fog lights. I am considering the fork mount, I have a 2006 K1200LT. an pros or cons would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Dec 19th, 2016, 7:29 am

Re: fog lights

I am thoroughly impressed with the Clearwater Ericas I installed. They made my night riding a little less stressful when riding the Sierra Mountain roads last summer.

Positives are the adjustable power setting from between low power at 10% to high at 100%. I operate them continuously at 10% power for my daily commute and I'm convinced they have increased my visibility to cage drivers with the triangle mounting pattern. As for mounting, the Ericas and Sevinas are too heavy for a fork mounted bracket. Clearwater designed a bracket that attaches below the LT mirrors that fit perfectly and don't vibrate. Finally, Clearwater's customer support was tremendous. I had three questions during the wiring portion of the install. Each time a tech patiently talked me through the process while I had the phone on speaker.

The only negative I encountered was price. Clearwater lights are expensive, but their quality makes up for it. I minimized price by asking customer sales if they had a set of Ericas traded in for the newer Sevinas. In my case they had a traded set in stock. It reduced the price 50%.

Good luck with your decision.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
58caddy likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 19th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Agree, Clearwater outperforms others and their technology/engineering is superior..
58caddy likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old Dec 20th, 2016, 4:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
I am thoroughly impressed with the Clearwater Ericas I installed. They made my night riding a little less stressful when riding the Sierra Mountain roads last summer.

Positives are the adjustable power setting from between low power at 10% to high at 100%. I operate them continuously at 10% power for my daily commute and I'm convinced they have increased my visibility to cage drivers with the triangle mounting pattern. As for mounting, the Ericas and Sevinas are too heavy for a fork mounted bracket. Clearwater designed a bracket that attaches below the LT mirrors that fit perfectly and don't vibrate. Finally, Clearwater's customer support was tremendous. I had three questions during the wiring portion of the install. Each time a tech patiently talked me through the process while I had the phone on speaker.

[/COLOR]The only negative I encountered was price. Clearwater lights are expensive, but their quality makes up for it. I minimized price by asking customer sales if they had a set of Ericas traded in for the newer Sevinas. In my case they had a traded set in stock. It reduced the price 50%.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

So if I am moderately capable, I can install them myself?
post #5 of 15 Old Dec 20th, 2016, 5:32 am

Quote:

The only negative I encountered was price. Clearwater lights are expensive, but their quality makes up for it. I minimized price by asking customer sales if they had a set of Ericas traded in for the newer Sevinas. In my case they had a traded set in stock. It reduced the price 50%.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Thanks for the info. I've been eyeing a set of the Clearwaters and am now convinced they are the right ones for me. Do you have any pictures?
post #6 of 15 Old Dec 20th, 2016, 8:50 am

Rigid D2 with amber covers.

LAF likes this.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 20th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58caddy View Post
I've been eyeing a set of the Clearwaters and am now convinced they are the right ones for me. Do you have any pictures?
As requested, pictures of the Clearwater Ericas installed under the mirrors on my LT. I also have a pair of PIAAs mounted, but they are rarely used since I installed the Ericas.

Rob,
2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Wagon Front.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	120562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Start Departure.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	551.0 KB
ID:	120570  
58caddy likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 20th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot-my-fault View Post
So if I am moderately capable, I can install them myself?
My wrenching skills hover around the "I know enough to get myself in trouble" capability. A moderately capable person will have no problem with the installation. Installing the Clearwater Ericas took me about four hours with removing/replacing Tupperware and calls to Clearwater Support for clarification.

As with any job, read the instructions, and then read them again. The instructions were fairly straight forward. The calls I made to Clearwater were to clarify which wires to splice into.

Rob,
2000LT
Navarre, FL

Last edited by Fun Bobby; Dec 20th, 2016 at 1:28 pm.
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 12:40 am

Quote:
As requested, pictures of the Clearwater Ericas installed under the mirrors on my LT. I also have a pair of PIAAs mounted, but they are rarely used since I installed the Ericas.

Rob,
2000LT
Navarre, FL
Thank you. Definitely looks good.
post #10 of 15 Old Dec 24th, 2016, 7:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
Rigid D2 with amber covers.

are crash bar mounts an option with the brackets they sell or did you make them ?
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 24th, 2016, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot-my-fault View Post
are crash bar mounts an option with the brackets they sell or did you make them ?
I don't have a pic handy and the bike is gone, But I mounted them to the bottom side of the tip over bars.
welded a small tab on each one and used the brackets that came with the lights.

EDIT:
found some pics in this thread...
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ed-lights.html

without the amber covers, they are really too bright for road use... IMO

they are Off Road lights. probably not dot approved....
not that it matters these days... seems every idiot has super bright lights with no regard for anyone else... but I digress....
HillmoorPete likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by johnT; Dec 24th, 2016 at 7:58 am. Reason: pics.
post #12 of 15 Old Dec 24th, 2016, 3:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just be careful when mounting them on the tip over bars, as nap time could become very expensive....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #13 of 15 Old Dec 24th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Just be careful when mounting them on the tip over bars, as nap time could become very expensive....
Not quite sure what that means....

post #14 of 15 Old Dec 25th, 2016, 5:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
Not quite sure what that means....
It looks like if the bike were to drop on its side, the rectangular fog light may hit the ground before the bike comes to rest on the tip over bar, pushing it into the lower tupperware and/or breaking the light:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...d-lights-1.jpg

Having dropped my '07 LT a couple of times at 0 speed, I came to appreciate the amount of protection it's stock tip over bars provide. When I bought my GTLE, the first thing I did was replace the stock engine protection bars with AltRider bars, as the stockers allow that bike to almost lay flat (13 degrees), and could cause upper tupperware damage, while the AltRider's limit it to about 33 degrees and minimize the potential for tupperware damage.

On the LT, mounting the fog lights on brackets on the fork leg, below the headlight in front of the radiator, or underneath the rear view mirrors would better protect auxiliary lights from 0 speed tip overs.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #15 of 15 Old Dec 25th, 2016, 8:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
It looks like if the bike were to drop on its side, the rectangular fog light may hit the ground before the bike comes to rest on the tip over bar, pushing it into the lower tupperware and/or breaking the light:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...d-lights-1.jpg
The light is square, not rectangle.

And the light housing is behind the edge of the tip over bar.
even though it doesn't look like that in the pic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in