Oil change and EHCS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 12:37 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Oil change and EHCS

I'm stuck mid way through an oil chang on a 2009 LT.

My problem is one bolt on the oil filter cover. The EHCS seems to require removal before this bolt can be removed (the forward most of the three filter cover bolts), yet I can locate no such instructions in my Clymer manual or my BMW shop manual ( because the manual I have was published before the upgrades)

I have removed the visible side bolts (one on each side) holding the EHCS chassis to the frame but cannot determine further steps to be able to lower it so as to gain clearance for this one stupid bolt.

Can't find any discussion of this issue, so I'm beginning to think maybe the bolt will clear without partially removing EHCS. But it doesn't appear so.

Comments? Guidance
edorazio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA, USA
Posts: 302
Re: Oil change and EHCS

on my 07 I take the skid plate off and I can get 5mm allen wrench into the the bolt and get it out. Jim
Jriverside is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 1:40 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Interesting. The the bolts on my 2009 are torx 30 and about 1 inch long.

I have loosened the other two, and already drained the oil via drain plug.

This third bolt just doesn't appear to have the clearance , but I'll give it a try
edorazio is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 1:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
bblalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Swansboro(area), NC, USA
Posts: 650
Cool Re: Oil change and EHCS

You should be able to get all 3 out without taking the EHCS off. If you are trying to use an allen socket that could be the issue since it is fat.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
bblalock is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 2:23 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Had to use a long reach torx 30 with some "really mean it " force to break it loose.

To my surprise it cleared nicely..

Thank you J
edorazio is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 2:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriverside View Post
on my 07 I take the skid plate off and I can get 5mm allen wrench into the the bolt and get it out. Jim
Same with my 07. Remove skid plate and all oil filter cover bolts will all come out. The rear one does just barely clear the EHCS frame, but it does clear.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
post #7 of 28 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 5:02 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MARCO ISLAND, FL, W. NC USA
Posts: 1,178
Re: Oil change and EHCS

I recall wedging a flat wonder bar to nudge the ehcs forward a tad. Additionally, do not over-torque them going in and be certain to evenly and slowly torque the.
BTW: we NEVER used the drain plug, just remove the rear two bolts and loosen the booger bolt to drain.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SmokinJoe is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old Dec 11th, 2016, 5:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I recall wedging a flat wonder bar to nudge the ehcs forward a tad. Additionally, do not over-torque them going in and be certain to evenly and slowly torque the.
BTW: we NEVER used the drain plug, just remove the rear two bolts and loosen the booger bolt to drain.
I am one of the purists who always removes the drain plug. For a couple reasons:
1. It flows fast and I want to get as much sediment out as possible and as much oil as possible.
2. I want to keep it from corroding in place.

I doubt it adds more then two minutes to my oil change time so worth it to me.
Turbocat likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
post #9 of 28 Old Dec 12th, 2016, 8:16 pm
cws
Senior Member
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,183
Garage
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorazio View Post
I have removed the visible side bolts (one on each side) holding the EHCS chassis to the frame but cannot determine further steps to be able to lower it so as to gain clearance for this one stupid bolt.

Can't find any discussion of this issue, so I'm beginning to think maybe the bolt will clear without partially removing EHCS. But it doesn't appear so.

Comments? Guidance
here you go... easy enough to take it off...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ulysses #45310
GS911


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cws is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old Dec 13th, 2016, 7:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,266
Re: Oil change and EHCS

The only time the cradle should interfere with an oil change is after it has hit a few speed bumps and has gotten bent. Normally there is plenty of clearance. Yes for some reason when they assembled the last of the LTs (2009) they did use torx on the oil filter cover vs. allen. 9Nm on the torque which is just a hair above snug.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old Aug 31st, 2017, 9:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The only time the cradle should interfere with an oil change is after it has hit a few speed bumps and has gotten bent. Normally there is plenty of clearance. Yes for some reason when they assembled the last of the LTs (2009) they did use torx on the oil filter cover vs. allen. 9Nm on the torque which is just a hair above snug.
Interesting. My oil filter cover rear bolt used to just clear the EHCS actuator frame. I just did my first oil change since my clutch repair and discovered that the rear bolt no longer clears. It hit the tube hard enough that I could not spin it out by hand and I feared using the wrench might strip the threads. So, I had to lower the actuator frame.

I pried the frame to the rear as I re-installed the rear actuator bolts hoping that I simply got it a little forward when I assembled it after the clutch work. I will find out in another 6,000 miles or so. As an aside, I could not find torque specs for the actuator bolts. I don't know if I just used judgement when I assembled it last spring, or if I found the torque value then for the 8 mm internal hex bolts and just didn't locate it today. The BMW CD just said to install bolts #2, #3 (#2 are the small, horizontal front bolts and #3 are the large vertical rear bolts) with no torque reference or Loctite reference.

Well, wax the bike tomorrow and then take a shake down ride to ensure all is well with oil change and new rear tire. Then leave Saturday morning for a month or so ride around much of the perimeter of the US! And hope the LT doesn't die on me somewhere...
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
post #12 of 28 Old Aug 31st, 2017, 10:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,266
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Funny. That is why I reference both the new CD RepRom and the old manual. The old one also covers the replacement of the swing arm threaded inserts in the frame and the RepRom does not.

M10 Loctite 243 and 41 Nm ; same bolts, same holes.

Enjoy the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skid plate.PNG
Views:	67
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	131482  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2017, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Funny. That is why I reference both the new CD RepRom and the old manual. The old one also covers the replacement of the swing arm threaded inserts in the frame and the RepRom does not.

M10 Loctite 243 and 41 Nm ; same bolts, same holes.

Enjoy the trip.
Mucho gracias. I am surprised things moved enough to cause interference, but I guess I shouldn't be given the number of other LT owners who have reported issues with that bolt. I can't believe the engine moved that much so if it isn't the actuator to centerstand then it must be the centerstand to gearbox. Looks like a small winter project to try to loosen and shift those rearward a little.

I really don't want to have to drop the actuator at each oil change.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
post #14 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2017, 9:41 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,998
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Well, wax the bike tomorrow and then take a shake down ride to ensure all is well with oil change and new rear tire. Then leave Saturday morning for a month or so ride around much of the perimeter of the US! And hope the LT doesn't die on me somewhere...
Hope you have a great time with good weather Matt.
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2017, 9:51 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Hope you have a great time with good weather Matt.
Thanks! Funny you mention this as I was remembering my first bike trip out west on my 87 Kawasaki Voyager.

The difference between riding the Kawasaki and the LT is:

A Kawasaki rider worries about the weather and not the Kawasaki.

A BMW rider worries about the BMW and not the weather!

I literally never considered that the Voyager would give any trouble on the way to SLC and back - and it didn't. I actually expect the LT to not make it to Califirnia and back without significant trouble.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
post #16 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2017, 9:59 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,998
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Thanks! Funny you mention this as I was remembering my first bike trip out west on my 87 Kawasaki Voyager.

The difference between riding the Kawasaki and the LT is:

A Kawasaki rider worries about the weather and not the Kawasaki.

A BMW rider worries about the BMW and not the weather!

I literally never considered that the Voyager would give any trouble on the way to SLC and back - and it didn't. I actually expect the LT to not make it to Califirnia and back without significant trouble.
I think you have already dealt with most of the significant gotchas on your LT so may your Voyage be about the weather. do you have a route planned or are you just winging it?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2017, 9:28 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 181
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Voyager, just ride your Beemer, and pretend it's the 'Saki ------ great weather protection and a successful trip. I've given up the worrying about my bike not getting me home. If it's no fun to ride, then might as well take your car. Ride safe and watch the "idiots"
ValkyrieRider is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2017, 10:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I think you have already dealt with most of the significant gotchas on your LT so may your Voyage be about the weather. do you have a route planned or are you just winging it?
A little bit of both. I created a rough 28 day itinerary in Basecamp that takes us into Canada at the peace bridge and across Michigan and then the SS Badger across the lake. West to South Dakota to visit relatives and then to Yellowstone and maybe Glacier NP. Then down towards Crater Lake and California to see the redwoods and sequoias. Across Death Valley towards the Grand Canyon. Through Santa Fe and then planned to visit friends in Port Aransas,TX, but after Harvey trashed their hotel, likely won't be going there. Then east to the a Barber museum and then on towards Kitty Hawk. Up the coast to Chincoteague and then meander back towards home.

There are lots of other sights I didn't mention for brevity's sake, but that is the rough route. Keeping things flexible though and will re-assess day by day. My sister and brother-in-law are traveling part of the way with us, but they have only 16 days so will head east after Yellowstone. They are winging it. No, really ... they ride a Wing.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
post #19 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2017, 10:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
Voyager, just ride your Beemer, and pretend it's the 'Saki ------ great weather protection and a successful trip. I've given up the worrying about my bike not getting me home. If it's no fun to ride, then might as well take your car. Ride safe and watch the "idiots"
Oh, I don't worry about it. I am just saying that after 30 years if riding various Kawasaki bikes I simply expected them to get me there trouble free. After 10 years on the LT, I expect something to break. Just my experience with these two brands.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
post #20 of 28 Old Sep 1st, 2017, 10:44 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,998
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Oh, I don't worry about it. I am just saying that after 30 years if riding various Kawasaki bikes I simply expected them to get me there trouble free. After 10 years on the LT, I expect something to break. Just my experience with these two brands.
Well, if by chance it breaks anywhere near Atlanta, give me a shout. I don't have a trailer but I do have some tools, a gs911, a lift and a scant few spare parts. If you are skirting the outside, you probably won't get too close to me though. Hope you have fun.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 2:17 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 181
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Oh, I don't worry about it. I am just saying that after 30 years if riding various Kawasaki bikes I simply expected them to get me there trouble free. After 10 years on the LT, I expect something to break. Just my experience with these two brands.
I totally understand and agree. My street bikes since 1979 have been : Honda 400F, 900F, Gold Wing 1200, ST1100, Valkyrie, Kaw Concours and Vulcan, Yam FJR 1300, & this Beemer. Except for a dead battery once, I've never been stranded or had any trouble on the Jap bikes. This K1200, had me on the side of the road on my first long trip in 2013. It was cutting out due to the fake "overheat" issue. Very frustrating at the time, not knowing that the Motronic was shutting it down so as not to cause a meltdown. I nursed her home slowly and After disconnecting the air temp sensor ( this forum IS priceless), I've had less qualms about breaking down. And many trouble free miles. I'm not sure how I would feel about a month long cross-country trip; God speed and enjoy.
ValkyrieRider is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 4:52 pm
Senior Member
 
guitarjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 646
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
A little bit of both. I created a rough 28 day itinerary in Basecamp that takes us into Canada at the peace bridge and across Michigan and then the SS Badger across the lake. West to South Dakota to visit relatives and then to Yellowstone and maybe Glacier NP. Then down towards Crater Lake and California to see the redwoods and sequoias. Across Death Valley towards the Grand Canyon. Through Santa Fe and then planned to visit friends in Port Aransas,TX, but after Harvey trashed their hotel, likely won't be going there. Then east to the a Barber museum and then on towards Kitty Hawk. Up the coast to Chincoteague and then meander back towards home.

There are lots of other sights I didn't mention for brevity's sake, but that is the rough route. Keeping things flexible though and will re-assess day by day. My sister and brother-in-law are traveling part of the way with us, but they have only 16 days so will head east after Yellowstone. They are winging it. No, really ... they ride a Wing.
I hope you give at the bare minimum 2-3 days in Yellowstone if you haven't been there before. Not sure of your routing but if you can take the Chief Joseph Highway on the Northeast side of Yellowstone, it has some incredible views. Hopefully, Glacier won't have too many forest fires. The smoke just sits in the mountains. Maybe check out the forest fire status so you don't breathe smoke for hours on end... or prepare for it. If you find yourself at Seeley Lake, eat at Pop's for a burger/sandwich and incredible shakes. The best huckleberry shakes we had (of the many we tried). On the east side of Glacier and up the road a bit (Hwy 89 North from St. Mary) to find Two Sisters restaurant - delicious food - BMW (Bring More Wallet) though.

Looks like a great trip! Have fun! Please share the stories as you go or when you return.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
guitarjim is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 7:31 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
I hope you give at the bare minimum 2-3 days in Yellowstone if you haven't been there before. Not sure of your routing but if you can take the Chief Joseph Highway on the Northeast side of Yellowstone, it has some incredible views. Hopefully, Glacier won't have too many forest fires. The smoke just sits in the mountains. Maybe check out the forest fire status so you don't breathe smoke for hours on end... or prepare for it. If you find yourself at Seeley Lake, eat at Pop's for a burger/sandwich and incredible shakes. The best huckleberry shakes we had (of the many we tried). On the east side of Glacier and up the road a bit (Hwy 89 North from St. Mary) to find Two Sisters restaurant - delicious food - BMW (Bring More Wallet) though.

Looks like a great trip! Have fun! Please share the stories as you go or when you return.
We will take some eastern rain with us to help with the fires.

I have never written much of a ride tale before, but I will give it a try. Check the ride tale forum if interested.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Sep 3rd, 2017 at 7:50 am.
Voyager is online now  
post #24 of 28 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 7:34 pm
Senior Member
 
guitarjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 646
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
We will take some eastern rain with us to help with the fires.

I have never written much of a ride tale before, but I will give it a try. Check the ride tale forum if interested.
Talking to a lady the Pop's, she said the fires are usually put out by a good big snow - in September.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
guitarjim is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 10:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Talking to a lady the Pop's, she said the fires are usually put out by a good big snow - in September.
I'm from northern PA. Snow I can handle!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
post #26 of 28 Old Sep 8th, 2017, 11:34 pm
Senior Member
 
guitarjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 646
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Road closures can come from the snow. So, you don't even get the chance to show off those snow skills. The Going to the Sun road has plenty of places with extreme drop offs - the road gets closed in portions until totally closed. Being closed in October for repairs anyways. Good luck with the fires that have gone crazy.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
guitarjim is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old Sep 9th, 2017, 7:47 pm
Senior Member
 
Tricky_dickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 169
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorazio View Post
I'm stuck mid way through an oil chang on a 2009 LT.

My problem is one bolt on the oil filter cover. The EHCS seems to require removal before this bolt can be removed (the forward most of the three filter cover bolts), yet I can locate no such instructions in my Clymer manual or my BMW shop manual ( because the manual I have was published before the upgrades)

I have removed the visible side bolts (one on each side) holding the EHCS chassis to the frame but cannot determine further steps to be able to lower it so as to gain clearance for this one stupid bolt.

Can't find any discussion of this issue, so I'm beginning to think maybe the bolt will clear without partially removing EHCS. But it doesn't appear so.

Comments? Guidance
I ran ito the same issue - had to remove the skid plate to remove the last bolt -

Also I read that the bolts are aluminum and are not suppose to reused
so hence i was just at the Bring More Wallet store and ordered them -
Guess they are not a regular service items as they had to order them

Last edited by Tricky_dickey; Sep 9th, 2017 at 7:48 pm. Reason: spelling errors
Tricky_dickey is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old Sep 9th, 2017, 8:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Oil change and EHCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky_dickey View Post
I ran ito the same issue - had to remove the skid plate to remove the last bolt -

Also I read that the bolts are aluminum and are not suppose to reused
so hence i was just at the Bring More Wallet store and ordered them -
Guess they are not a regular service items as they had to order them

Where did you read that? I have reused my oil filter cover bolts for ten years with no problem. The only one time use item I am aware of is the drain bolt crush washer. And i have reused those on occasion and the earth did not stop rotating.
djmellor likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear oil change. motoman56 K1200LT 10 Sep 18th, 2013 6:33 am
Transmission Oil Change twoisbest K1200LT 5 Nov 26th, 2012 7:10 am
oil change w/o lift table billsmith K1200LT 25 May 25th, 2012 11:03 am
WOW!!! Glad I was getting ready to change it. jzeiler K1200LT 18 Aug 9th, 2011 8:37 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome