Front ABS sensor removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotrodsteve
  • 3 Post By alabrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 7th, 2016, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Front ABS sensor removal

So I have torn down my '01 LT for my first shot at a major overhaul on this bike. I've had the bike for a little over year now and figure it's time to get a lot of things done. One of the things I wanted to do was change out the fork seals as one is leaking. I have the front wheel off, the forks loosen up and the steering damper off, but cannot get the front ABS sensor out. Yes I have the two screws out and the ABs lines out of their holders and the brake lines disconnected. But the sensor seems to be stuck in the fork. I have sprayed it with PB blaster and wd40 for two days. I know this is not something I should do, but I have tried prying ever so gently on the tabs, and gently tried to loosen with pliers but don't want to damage the sensor. The only accomplishment was making the shims unaligned but not loose. Is there something I'm missing or is this an issue that others have dealt with? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Dec 7th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Re: Front ABS sensor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodsteve View Post
So I have torn down my '01 LT for my first shot at a major overhaul on this bike. I've had the bike for a little over year now and figure it's time to get a lot of things done. One of the things I wanted to do was change out the fork seals as one is leaking. I have the front wheel off, the forks loosen up and the steering damper off, but cannot get the front ABS sensor out. Yes I have the two screws out and the ABs lines out of their holders and the brake lines disconnected. But the sensor seems to be stuck in the fork. I have sprayed it with PB blaster and wd40 for two days. I know this is not something I should do, but I have tried prying ever so gently on the tabs, and gently tried to loosen with pliers but don't want to damage the sensor. The only accomplishment was making the shims unaligned but not loose. Is there something I'm missing or is this an issue that others have dealt with? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Honestly, it should come out pretty easily although I have not removed mine yet to see how bad it is. It has to be dirt and corrosion keeping it in. If you have the wheel off, can you use a small piece of plastic and a hammer to lightly tap on it from the inside and see if you can get it to move alternating from top to bottom? I would probably not try hitting on the metal sensor bar in the middle but on either side of it.

Another possibility is to trace the wire up to the plug and remove the fork with the sensor attached? I am not sure where the plug is off the top of my head but at $211 you are right to not want to damage it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 7th, 2016, 11:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply! I did trace the wire for the plug. The wire goes up into a loom up inside the cowl above the shock mount and didn't know how far back I would have to unravel things to unplug it not knowing how long the wire was. I do have the front wheel off so maybe finding a socket to tap around the edges from the inside?

post #4 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 12:02 am

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I did trace the wire for the plug. The wire goes up into a loom up inside the cowl above the shock mount and didn't know how far back I would have to unravel things to unplug it not knowing how long the wire was. I do have the front wheel off so maybe finding a socket to tap around the edges from the inside?
Something like that. The picture in the Clymer simply shows a smooth round cylinder that goes into the fork. I don't know how delicate the sensor is but once you take the two screws out, it is lose to be removed. Light taping with a socket from the inside may do the trick.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Something like that. The picture in the Clymer simply shows a smooth round cylinder that goes into the fork. I don't know how delicate the sensor is but once you take the two screws out, it is lose to be removed. Light taping with a socket from the inside may do the trick.
Thanks Gordon. I guess I need to get one of those manuals. Everything I've done so far there has been a "Kirk video" for, that gave me all the instruction I needed.
post #6 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Thanks Gordon. I guess I need to get one of those manuals. Everything I've done so far there has been a "Kirk video" for, that gave me all the instruction I needed.
Were you able to get the sensor out? I know it was late last night when I posted so not sure you have had a chance to get back to it yet.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
So I managed to get the ABS sensor out this evening. Took a heat gun to the fork around the sensor and gently tapped it from the backside with 1/2 inch socket and rubber mallet. Came right out. I got the forks off and rebuilt the steering damper but the bushings that hold it to the back and the bushing that holds it to the forks are completely dry rotted. Is there somewhere besides the BMW dealer to get these? Don't want to put this back together with those bushings.
Patric likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Were you able to get the sensor out? I know it was late last night when I posted so not sure you have had a chance to get back to it yet.
Thanks for checking back in Gordon see my message above
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Quote:
So I managed to get the ABS sensor out this evening. Took a heat gun to the fork around the sensor and gently tapped it from the backside with 1/2 inch socket and rubber mallet. Came right out. I got the forks off and rebuilt the steering damper but the bushings that hold it to the back and the bushing that holds it to the forks are completely dry rotted. Is there somewhere besides the BMW dealer to get these? Don't want to put this back together with those bushings.
Which parts are you talking about? The rubber parts that hold the damper are not all to expensive. I guess you are talking bout the delay in ordering them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dampner.png
Views:	47
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	120058  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Which parts are you talking about? The rubber parts that hold the damper are not all to expensive. I guess you are talking bout the delay in ordering them.
I think it's the numbers three and four on your diagram. Someone posted in another video that the number four part was $40 by itself. I don't have a BMW dealer close by so I was looking for a place to order them. My on line search didn't come up with anything.
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 8:55 am

Quote:
I think it's the numbers three and four on your diagram. Someone posted in another video that the number four part was $40 by itself. I don't have a BMW dealer close by so I was looking for a place to order them. My on line search didn't come up with anything.
MAX BMW is where I usually place my orders and my favorite place for M&M's also. They ship to your door. The other person was wrong. The #4 part is $50.35 if that is what you need. I have not taken mine apart yet so I can't confirm the part you are looking for.

MAX BMW Motorcycles | New & Used BMW Motorcycles | BMW Motorcycle Parts

MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 99-04 (89V3)

03 31 42 7 677 987 RING - 12,5X24X6,5 2 $4.34
04 31 42 2 314 995 JOINT LINK 0.02 1 $50.35

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
MAX BMW is where I usually place my orders and my favorite place for M&M's also. They ship to your door. The other person was wrong. The #4 part is $50.35 if that is what you need. I have not taken mine apart yet so I can't confirm the part you are looking for.

MAX BMW Motorcycles | New & Used BMW Motorcycles | BMW Motorcycle Parts

MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 99-04 (89V3)

03 31 42 7 677 987 RING - 12,5X24X6,5 2 $4.34
04 31 42 2 314 995 JOINT LINK 0.02 1 $50.35
Yep that's it ...The joint link. I guess the video I saw was a few years old and prices were a little cheaper then. Just one more thing BMW charges way too much for what it is but you have to have it. Mine just fell apart when I took the damper off.

One thing leads to another when you start working on these older bikes. Stay tuned I have plenty more projects to do before this is done and I really appreciate the help!
post #13 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 11:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hermy's in PA (a supporting dealer) is offering 15% off until Dec. 31.

Stop in at BMWestore.com and enjoy Free shipping to the US 48 states and 15% discount thru December 31st.

We also ship International with a flat shipping fee of $45 on orders up to $100, $65 on orders 101.01 up to $500 and $85 on orders 500.01 and above.

Use coupon code:
Sale
at checkout.

Stock up now with Genuine BMW Parts, Apparel and Accessories.
Shipping is with USPS Priority Mail, 2 to 3 days transit time and USPS Priority International, 6 to 10 day transit time.

Please email or call with any ordering or tech questions.
[email protected]
610-562-7303

We look forward to working with you!

Hermys BMWestore
sailor, johnbaker15 and JaL3_SD like this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #14 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2016, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
Hermy's in PA (a supporting dealer) is offering 15% off until Dec. 31.

Stop in at BMWestore.com and enjoy Free shipping to the US 48 states and 15% discount thru December 31st.

We also ship International with a flat shipping fee of $45 on orders up to $100, $65 on orders 101.01 up to $500 and $85 on orders 500.01 and above.

Use coupon code:
Sale
at checkout.

Stock up now with Genuine BMW Parts, Apparel and Accessories.
Shipping is with USPS Priority Mail, 2 to 3 days transit time and USPS Priority International, 6 to 10 day transit time.

Please email or call with any ordering or tech questions.
[email protected]
610-562-7303

We look forward to working with you!

Hermys BMWestore
Ordered this afternoon. Nice guys. Should have them Tuesday they said.
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 17th, 2016, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Well update. Still waiting on parts that were supposed to be here Tuesday. Nice guys at Hermy's I guess just not quick on shipping. Maybe next week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in