1999 lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 5th, 2016, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

1999 lt

Hello
My 1999 BMW 1200t continues to run here in Mexico, it is still a challenge.
Two questions please
ABS blinking lights do not go out anymore, I had done the re-set and they were fine for the longest time. However they are back to not going away and are in fact staying as solid lights after running awhile. My question is this, will worn out rear brakes cause this? Rear seems to be less than it was.
Other, possibly greater problem is weird (again) battery drain. I had felt heat, actually pretty warm in handle to lift bike for center stand. Had not experienced this before. I am hoping my reverser unit has not failed again. I do not use reverse as it does not function, no big deal there .
I have good amp output on alternator and battery shows charge but occasionally fails to start, no flat spot on starter just a drag when trying to use starter and then all lights go dead. After push starting will charge battery a little bit then dead again, sometimes will stay charged.
Battery is gel type and only year and half old.
Have checked ground wire to starter and wires to alternator, seem to be tight and good there.
Will pull battery and charge and check independent of bike.
Still love her she is more trying than an unsatisfied wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 5th, 2016, 1:57 pm

Re: 1999 lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicoboy View Post
Hello
My 1999 BMW 1200t continues to run here in Mexico, it is still a challenge.
Two questions please
ABS blinking lights do not go out anymore, I had done the re-set and they were fine for the longest time. However they are back to not going away and are in fact staying as solid lights after running awhile. My question is this, will worn out rear brakes cause this? Rear seems to be less than it was.
Other, possibly greater problem is weird (again) battery drain. I had felt heat, actually pretty warm in handle to lift bike for center stand. Had not experienced this before. I am hoping my reverser unit has not failed again. I do not use reverse as it does not function, no big deal there .
I have good amp output on alternator and battery shows charge but occasionally fails to start, no flat spot on starter just a drag when trying to use starter and then all lights go dead. After push starting will charge battery a little bit then dead again, sometimes will stay charged.
Battery is gel type and only year and half old.
Have checked ground wire to starter and wires to alternator, seem to be tight and good there.
Will pull battery and charge and check independent of bike.
Still love her she is more trying than an unsatisfied wife
I hear you on the unsatisfied wife thing. If you could find someone with a GS911 to read what the fault is, that would help a lot. I don't think the 99 is as sensitive to battery as the 02 and later are with the servo assist but it does sound like you are having some struggles with your battery as well.

We will probably need more information to help diagnose this. Have you verified your brake lights work properly ( not stuck on) with both front and rear application and are all the bulbs good, not changed out with LED type? Do the ABS lights flash together when you turn on the bike and then go out after you move a few feet then come on later or do they flash and then come on solid later? Which light or both?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 5th, 2016, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Hi there, thanks for looking
Taillights and brake lights working ok.
Both abs lights on dash blink as normal, after rolling both go to full on, occasionally one will go out.
Charge indicator light that indicated alternator is working goes out with rpm. After awhile, perhaps an hour of driving battery light will start to dimly show.
Currently have battery out and on charger, shows low charge. Possibly battery just wacked. It is a BMW Exide tech. battery, so maybe not the gel type.
I still do not understand why lift handle for putting on stand was so warm?

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 5th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Hi there, thanks for looking
Taillights and brake lights working ok.
Both abs lights on dash blink as normal, after rolling both go to full on, occasionally one will go out.
Charge indicator light that indicated alternator is working goes out with rpm. After awhile, perhaps an hour of driving battery light will start to dimly show.
Currently have battery out and on charger, shows low charge. Possibly battery just wacked. It is a BMW Exide tech. battery, so maybe not the gel type.
I still do not understand why lift handle for putting on stand was so warm?
No idea why the handle would be hot.

Clymer says that on the ABS II if the lights stay on all the time, then one of the most likely issues is low battery voltage. Seeing that you are having battery issues or possibly charging issues, I would start there. If it is a flooded battery, check for fluid level. If low, add only distilled water to bring back to a proper level and charge well. If it is a gel type, it may simply need to be replaced.

Check your charging system to be sure it is producing enough voltage. Should be above 13.8 with a charged batter and no accessories on like heated seat and grips.

Sounding more and more like a bad battery.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 5th, 2016, 10:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I know you have essentially re-wired this bike and many mechanics are prone to ground the negative post to the frame. This is a No No on a BMW. Make sure all your grounds are tied together (brown wires) and to the negative post of the battery. There should be no brown wires connected to the frame anywhere. I found that one time on a bike and the ABS motor was always running. As soon as we pulled the brown wire from the frame the ABS motor stopped running. His father helped put the bike back together and ran a brown wire to the frame. This was a 99 also.
bmwcoolk1200 and JaL3_SD like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 10 Old Dec 6th, 2016, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Well thanks again for response
ABS probably is due to low battery, did check ground wire, they are all tied together at the ground connector thingie.
I have her stripped down to her underwear at the moment as I have a few other issues, geeeeeeeez
Anyway took battery out, it is gel type and charged it out of the bike, here are the results
Charged 13.05 volts
installed and start bike it drops to 11.39 as starter is engaged
Immediately after starting it goes to 12.59
Key off back to 13.05
Does kind of seem weak for a battery, especially the starter load.
Does this sound low to anybody?

One more question, after pulling air box I noticed some residual oil towards the top of the round air injector ports, not too bad but the rear most seemed to have more than the others. No smoke when running unless , after turning off, forgot to let it be upright for about 15 seconds before putting on side stand. Did the colonoscopy , canostopy, whatever years ago.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 7th, 2016, 10:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That sound good to me. What bothers me is the right after starting (I assume the engine is running) 12.59 should be more like 13.5 if the alternator is putting out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 10 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 9:28 am Thread Starter

I agree sir, should be above 13, clymer states 12.69 is normal charge, which it is holding. It seems to me , and I will check it, is that it may hit over 13 after running awhile
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 10:32 am

Quote:
I agree sir, should be above 13, clymer states 12.69 is normal charge, which it is holding. It seems to me , and I will check it, is that it may hit over 13 after running awhile
If you get the chance, check the battery voltage when the battery light starts to dimly show as previously stated and see if the charge voltage has dropped.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 10 Old Dec 8th, 2016, 11:50 am Thread Starter

will do, check I mean when light starts to glow. Really hoping not voltage regulator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in