BLUE wire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:09 am Thread Starter
kip

BLUE wire

you guys always have such good information.....
here is one to test you

i recently replaced the transmission on my 99 LT....it was alot of fun and confirms the theory that BMW mechanics all have 3 hands and 10" fingers.....

after getting the new transmission in and the bike partly back together we noticed a broken wire.....the wire was located un the area directlly beneath the gas tank forward of the battery compartment. the wire in question is a blue wire which went from one wiring harness over to another wiring harness....on one end it appeared to have some sort of fixed factory connector (not one you can unplug) that went into the wiring harness.....on the other end it went into the wiring harness but with no apparant connector....the wire is approximately 18 guage......

after getting the bottom of the bike back together, we noticed that wire and it appeared to have been broken versus cut.....

since we hadn't noticed it before hand who knows if it was already done or done in the process of jacking up the frame of the bike to get the transmission out.....(more than likely the latter of course)

long story not so short.....when reassembling the bike, i forgot about fixing that blue wire......the bike ran fine and everything worked on it....and i rode it to Ironhorse....and in fact rode it about 500 miles on that weekend....with the only noticeable issue being that i was getting about 25 mpg versus the 43 to 45 that my bike consistently always has gotten.....the bike seemed to run ok though.....although i thought maybe it was running exceedingly rich......

this past weekend i took the gas tank off where i could get to the blue wire and spliced into it and pulled the two ends into the area under the seat to reconnect them......

before i connect them, however, i want to know what that blue wire is for...

i am always amazed at the quality of information on this board.....so.....i am hoping one of you guys has some info relating to the blue wire.....

i'm hoping its the poor gas mileage selector wire and that once i hook it back up things will be pefect.....but i am reluctant to just hook it up with no idea of what the wire does.....

??????

<next time ill try to ask something easier>

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Pictures would help id....

Is it the same wire as in this post? http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...t=transmission

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Did you check the connection to the Oxygen sensor, you think it running too rich?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 3:44 pm Thread Starter
kip

not the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasub
Is it the same wire as in this post? http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...t=transmission
no....definitely not the same one....

thanks though

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
kip

oxygen sensor

oxygen sensor seems to be fine.....i didnt remove it from the exhaust when i removed the exhaust...just unplugged it and then plugged it back in on the reinstall.....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Kip,

There is a blue wire that connects to the alternator. The top/back of the alternator, is visible in front of the battery, under the gas tank. The same location, I think, that you are describing, but it goes from the alterator terminal into a wiring harness. There are two wires on that alternator terminal, as I recall. The blue one is on a quick disconnect(tabbed) terminal.

Buck W.
San Diego
1999 K1200LT
Canyon Red

post #7 of 7 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:05 am Thread Starter
kip

dont think its the one

this wire kind of cuts across the "Y" of a main wiring harness.....it is near the alternator but it doesnt go to the alternator....

thanks though.....i ordered one of those clymer manuals that supposedly has some good wiriing diagrams in it ...maybe i will be able to locate it there....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in