Valve clearance check, not good - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 7:08 am Thread Starter

Red face Valve clearance check, not good

Hi all,
I was performing my first valve clearance check since buying this bike and found the following. Temperature was a balmy 40 degrees and the bike hasn't been run in two to three weeks so it shouldn't have been to warm.

bike is a 02 with 20,415 miles

ALL of the Intake valves were out of spec. They were all at .004 to .005 supposed to be .006 - .008. Not believeing they all could be bad I measured my feeler gauges and even used a second set. Numbers came back the same.

Two of the Exhaust valves were at .009 rest were at .011 which is ideal.

Since I am the 3rd owner I don't have a complete service history. PO did he brakes and clutch fluid, not 100% sure about checking the valves.

My questions are:

1) Is this normal to have this many valves out of adjustment?

2) From reading previous posts can I presume once set, the valves will not require adjusting for lots of miles?

Speculation on my part is that since the shims are in full tolerance steps (I.e. .002 change), any previous checks may have found them at low limit and it was decided it wasn't worth the effort to change them.

Thanks

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 7:56 am

Roy --

I had the same experience and asked the same question here - I think I had 12 out of 16 too tight. I measured them on 3 or 4 different days with two sets of feeler guages and got similar results. That was my first valve adjustment, and I haven't had to do a second one yet.

From what I got from the forum and my measurements, basically its odd but possible.

I have a '99 LT and did the valves at around 13,000 miles.

Bruce.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 8:03 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Two of the Exhaust valves were at .009 rest were at .011 which is ideal.

Since I am the 3rd owner I don't have a complete service history. PO did he brakes and clutch fluid, not 100% sure about checking the valves.

My questions are:

1) Is this normal to have this many valves out of adjustment?

2) From reading previous posts can I presume once set, the valves will not require adjusting for lots of miles?
In my experience your situation is unusual. Usually at the second (24,000) or third (36,000) check you will find one or two intake valves, usually on the front cylinder, have tightened up. Most have needed a couple of shims at the 36k service, then not again until 60-72K.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 9:44 am

Not all that unusual. Intakes tighten on the LT before the exhausts. Commonly, that many will not need adjustment at that early mileage, but a few have.

My experience is that after the first adjustment on any valve, it will not likely change enough for another adjustment for a long time.

In 100,000 miles, all my valves had been adjusted once, but none twice.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 9:59 am

Yup, Roy, you're a bit early but not by much. ALL my intakes needed adjustment at 34,000.

I posted and asked the same question...got the same answer. It does feel good to find it and get them changed.

If you are going to do the swap yourself, check out The Gunsmoke Site for the K1200 procedure! It terrific!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #6 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks all

Hey,
thanks to all of you. Being a Newbie I am still catching up as to what has been posted and what hasn't. Can't say I am happy to hear that others have had to adjust as many valves as me but... sounds like once done ride the heck out of it and it won't change.

Yes I am doing all of my own wrenching. Have the factory CD, Clymer manual and countless helpers here on this forum. Now if only at least one of you lived next door it would make things easier More plastic on this LT than a HollyWood Starlet..

Thanks again

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 7:34 pm

On my first valve check @ 24K, I had seven out of spec. was considered odd by Griff and others, just did a second check @ 36K and everything was good.Go figure,

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in