BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Valve clearance check, not good (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/16143-valve-clearance-check-not-good.html)

bigbear Nov 6th, 2006 8:08 am

Valve clearance check, not good

Hi all,
I was performing my first valve clearance check since buying this bike and found the following. Temperature was a balmy 40 degrees and the bike hasn't been run in two to three weeks so it shouldn't have been to warm.

bike is a 02 with 20,415 miles

ALL of the Intake valves were out of spec. They were all at .004 to .005 supposed to be .006 - .008. Not believeing they all could be bad I measured my feeler gauges and even used a second set. Numbers came back the same.

Two of the Exhaust valves were at .009 rest were at .011 which is ideal.

Since I am the 3rd owner I don't have a complete service history. PO did he brakes and clutch fluid, not 100% sure about checking the valves.

My questions are:

1) Is this normal to have this many valves out of adjustment?

2) From reading previous posts can I presume once set, the valves will not require adjusting for lots of miles?

Speculation on my part is that since the shims are in full tolerance steps (I.e. .002 change), any previous checks may have found them at low limit and it was decided it wasn't worth the effort to change them.

Thanks

Roy

bwingate Nov 6th, 2006 8:56 am

Roy --

I had the same experience and asked the same question here - I think I had 12 out of 16 too tight. I measured them on 3 or 4 different days with two sets of feeler guages and got similar results. That was my first valve adjustment, and I haven't had to do a second one yet.

From what I got from the forum and my measurements, basically its odd but possible.

I have a '99 LT and did the valves at around 13,000 miles.

Bruce.

Randy Nov 6th, 2006 9:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbear
Two of the Exhaust valves were at .009 rest were at .011 which is ideal.

Since I am the 3rd owner I don't have a complete service history. PO did he brakes and clutch fluid, not 100% sure about checking the valves.

My questions are:

1) Is this normal to have this many valves out of adjustment?

2) From reading previous posts can I presume once set, the valves will not require adjusting for lots of miles?

In my experience your situation is unusual. Usually at the second (24,000) or third (36,000) check you will find one or two intake valves, usually on the front cylinder, have tightened up. Most have needed a couple of shims at the 36k service, then not again until 60-72K.

dshealey Nov 6th, 2006 10:44 am

Not all that unusual. Intakes tighten on the LT before the exhausts. Commonly, that many will not need adjustment at that early mileage, but a few have.

My experience is that after the first adjustment on any valve, it will not likely change enough for another adjustment for a long time.

In 100,000 miles, all my valves had been adjusted once, but none twice.

JATownsend Nov 6th, 2006 10:59 am

Yup, Roy, you're a bit early but not by much. ALL my intakes needed adjustment at 34,000.

I posted and asked the same question...got the same answer. It does feel good to find it and get them changed.

If you are going to do the swap yourself, check out The Gunsmoke Site for the K1200 procedure! It terrific!

bigbear Nov 6th, 2006 12:14 pm

Thanks all

Hey,
thanks to all of you. Being a Newbie I am still catching up as to what has been posted and what hasn't. Can't say I am happy to hear that others have had to adjust as many valves as me but... sounds like once done ride the heck out of it and it won't change.

Yes I am doing all of my own wrenching. Have the factory CD, Clymer manual and countless helpers here on this forum. Now if only at least one of you lived next door it would make things easier :rotf: More plastic on this LT than a HollyWood Starlet..

Thanks again

Roy

NOGILLS2 Nov 6th, 2006 8:34 pm

On my first valve check @ 24K, I had seven out of spec. was considered odd by Griff and others, just did a second check @ 36K and everything was good.Go figure,