Clymer vs Factory manual - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CaptLen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2016, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Clymer vs Factory manual

Hi
I like to do my own maintenance. I've found many sites for the lt maintenance manual for downloads, but everyone i find are for the 04 and older bikes, even though they say it's for all years.. There are many items missing that pertain to the 05 and newer bikes.
Anyway, i'm on a fixed income and can't afford the Actual factory manual at over 100 bucks. Can someone tell me if the Clymer manual is as good as the factory, and does it actually cover the newer LTs?
I'm sure someone in this forum has one.
Like i said, i want to make sure it fully covers the newer LTs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2016, 8:18 pm

Re: Clymer vs Factory manual

I like my Clymer manual more than a factory manual. It has more photos, better descriptions and identifies common pitfalls. Mine says up to 2005, that's when it was published. And it does actually cover the 05 LT
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2016, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage

that's the problem.. i want to make sure that if i purchase one, i get one that will cover my 2006. everything i've seen says 99 to 2009, but doesn't cover anything past 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2016, 9:11 pm

I know what you mean. I used a Haynes manual for the R1100 for both an R1100 and a R1150. I just got the data I needed from BMWRT.com when my manual was not sufficient. My Clymer that goes up to 2005 LTs addresses the Elecrtic center stand, servo Brakes, etc. I would think it would be a good reference.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 12:30 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
that's the problem.. i want to make sure that if i purchase one, i get one that will cover my 2006. everything i've seen says 99 to 2009, but doesn't cover anything past 2005
About the only thing you won't find referred to in the "updated" 2005 Clymers is the newer Xenon headlight on the '06 LT. Everything else, iABS, etc.. is covered pretty well.
Very handy book... but hunt around as prices for them are all over the shop on Ebay.
I use the same book for both the 2005 model LT (2004 built upgrade model) and 2004 build GT I own... invaluable resource.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 10 Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 9:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Hi
I like to do my own maintenance. I've found many sites for the lt maintenance manual for downloads, but everyone i find are for the 04 and older bikes, even though they say it's for all years.. There are many items missing that pertain to the 05 and newer bikes.
Anyway, i'm on a fixed income and can't afford the Actual factory manual at over 100 bucks. Can someone tell me if the Clymer manual is as good as the factory, and does it actually cover the newer LTs?
I'm sure someone in this forum has one.
Like i said, i want to make sure it fully covers the newer LTs.
I have both and am glad I do. My Clymer manual only covers to 2005. There is a later revision (-3) as I recall that may cover the newer years. I think my manual is either -1 or -2 revision.

My BMW REProm lacks wiring diagrams as apparently that is a separate CD which the dealer failed to mention. The Clymer electrical diagram is pretty good.

The Clymer is more detailed on procedures, but jumps around a lot. When I did my clutch, I was back and forth through several chapters and it was hard to keep track of what was done and where you left off (lots of Post-It notes). The BMW CD lets you print out everything you need for a given job in sequence making it easy to tick things off as you go. And this includes the re-assembly operations. None of this "assembly is reverse of disassembly" stuff that you find in other manuals, including, if memory serves, parts of the Clymer manual.

I don't mean to be rude, and I say this in all seriousness, but if you can't afford $100 for a manual then you really can't afford an LT. Mine has averaged more then $500/year in maintenance and repairs over the 9 years I have owned it. And this isn't counting wear items like tires and brakes. The cost of the manuals pales in comparison to the cost of routine maintenance and repairs such as final drive rebuild, clutch rebuild, new seals for transmission, fuel QDs, FIBIB kit, and the list goes on. The two manuals have paid for themselves many times over.

It is nice having two to cross check. I always check things like torque values in both. I recall that an early Clymer had an error in a torque value for something like the exhaust header nuts. Using the wrong value would likely have damaged an expensive part. Buying good tools, and manuals are a critical tool, is almost always good overall economy.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 12:42 pm

When I got my 2007 bike it came with the BMW Motorrad Rep Rom CD manual. The part # for the CD manual for the 2005 and later is 01790309672 I saw it listed MSRP for $62.22. Just put that # in your search engine and you may find one cheaper or just go to the dealer and pay the $62+ dollars. Its been helpful to me.

Good Luck

Scott
2007 LT
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well Voyager, actually, i thought It was rude of you with the "can't afford an LT". I'm a retired Vet on a fixed income, and not one of the "elite" BMW riders that take their LT to the local shop for a simple oil change. Sure i can afford a 100 dollar CD, but why should i pay for a "stealer" item that probably cost them a buck an a half to make it. I do ALL my own maintenance. Have since i had my first motorcycle (35 years on a Harley). I don't wear the whole overpriced BMW gear, i don't buy BMW specific accessories, and I certainly don't spend extra on BMW oil etc. So i'm sorry, but yes, I did take that comment as rude. I saved to purchase my BMW, and even though it's not new, i'm as proud of it as any rider that went out and spent 30k on a brand new bike to show boat around and feel privileged because they can afford it.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 4:03 pm

Beemer Joe- I fully umderstand what you are saying and where you are coming from. Money does not grow on trees, but if you do not have the proper information you could ruin a part that costs more than the manual! My father, who was an excellent do-it-yourself mechanic, always purchased a shop manual for any vehicle that he worked on. I have a Clymer for my Sportster and a factory Manual for my Honda. Undecided about which way to go if/when I get my BMW. I hope you can appreciate that your point is valid but so is the concept that as expensive as it might be, the factory manual can sometimes be worth it.
BeemerJoe likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 7th, 2016, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well i received my Clymer today, and was totally disappointed. Even though it says it covers up to 2009, that is a complete falsehood. The book was published in 2000 (it's the latest edition), and does not cover anything past 2005. I was hoping they would cover the brake system in it's entirety, but doesn't even mention the pump or how to flush it. Sending it back, and will start looking for the factory manual or CD. Not sure which yet, as i'd have to install windows on my mac for the cd. Anyone have a suggestion as to which is better? the manual or the CD.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in