LT vs RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Zeke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Talking LT vs RT

Hey All;

Most of you know me. So just a short story. I bought my "16 RT in June. Now have over 15k on her, Va and back and just normal riding. Any ways. I still have my LT and was waiting to install new clutch slave and lines.
Well all done, have to take her for a ride. Well, as much as I love my RT, light, torque, smooth, fun etc. top of line, all the goodies. Now i just got back for a 30 mile ride on the LT, well sorry RT. the LT consistently wins every time. Except for the weight, took me a couple miles of wow this is heavy to dragging pegs in some of my favorite corners. yes i admit i have 330,000 miles on here and literally know her inside and out. She is just overall better, smoother, handles almost as good as the RT, (RT is 400lb lighter), but for 900 lbs just wow. It just has a better "feel" overall.
Will I ride the RT has much? Absolutely, the LT will be my baby when My SO and i NEED to just ride.
BMW just got that bike RIGHT. Please please understand I LOVE the RT, its just not an LT. No I have not ridden the GTL.
All opinions of course. Now i have to find a long distance ride, maybe Nova Scotia again.
Thanks for listening to my passions. i tend to go overboard. Riding for 46 years and 1/2 millions miles and still need to just ride.
Keep the rubber side down.

Zeke
sailor, Notahog, james216 and 2 others like this.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:33 pm

Re: LT vs RT

Very cool evaluation between the two excellent bikes. Thank you.

I've recently looked very hard at the new generation RT's and even test rode one, VERY nice ride, and for me with a 31" inseam the RT has easier foot reach to the ground than the LT, the RT saddle width may have something to do with it.
Over 50% of my riding is 2-up so we really like the LT for comfort, but slow speed weight thing is a minus for me.
I bought my K1200LT with a perfectly cherry 2002 Ducati ST4s in the garage, and now we ride the LT all the time, the Ducati sits.

I could see a new RT in the garage if the pillion likes the comfort

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:37 pm

I feel the same way. While thinking of getting a new bike, my SO and I have tried the GTL, the Harley and the Goldwing and when you combine aesthetics, performance, and passenger comfort I have a hard time moving away from the LT. Guess I will ride it until something major fails. Then I will attempt to repair it. If I can then I will continue to ride it. If I cant repair it, then I will part it and move on to the GTL.

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:40 pm

Having a back up bike gives you lots of breathing room. Good job.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

I love the LT so much, if it breaks, I will repair and move on. I guess Im lucky I do all my own work. i thought about the GTL, but 30K is alot of money. I just felt better on the RT and about 8K less helps.

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Having a back up bike gives you lots of breathing room. Good job.

It helps alot. I had a GS before and helped alot. But when I did the clutch on the LT I didnt have that advantage. Basically taking train sucks. It was actually ride my bicycle to the train, get there, take the bicycle to work, for a week while I installed the clutch. not good.

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in