Radio Question...Searched Hall of Wisdom - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

Question Radio Question...Searched Hall of Wisdom

My friend has an 01 LT, radio began to malfunction when he changed a station in the memory.

Normally he (and I) switch off bike to first position to left, not locked. If bike is turned off and power switch on radio is used radio turns off, but when turned back on radio will turn on. When you use any other switch on stingray, on handlebar, or passenger controls radio turns off. You are unable to change stations, volume or use cd player, radio simply turns off with any button EXCEPT the on/off button.

But, if the radio is on and the bike is then turned off to the lock position, when the bike is switched back on the radio works normally, all switches, all functions. If you then turn radio off with on/off switch on stingray, radio reverts back to the possessed version, not able to change any function, just on.

We tore bike down to (successfully) fix gas level indicator tube and took radio apart and put dielectric grease on and cleaned all connections. Radio sounds fine, works great if you use the magic combination.

Any Suggestions.........

Chris

Hiddenite NC

'99 LTi Champagne

GTHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Chris - for starters, I'd do the de-battery thang first. Disconnect the battery - some say thirty minutes minimum, others say coupla hours - then reconnect. At this time, do the throttle position sensor locator procedure - turn bike on, but do not start engine; open throttle wide to the stop and release (twice); turn ignition off, then start the engine and ride around the block (don't know if that is necessary, but folks do it). And then see if the radio module has quit acting up, and will perform correctly.

Following that procedure, I dunno what to do. Maybe retrace your buttoning up process after the work you did on the gas float thangie.

HTH
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 11:06 am

Radio Problem

Hello, I too have experienced the same radio malfunction. Several weeks ago I pushed the on button and got nothing except a faint glow of light in the display. Nothing worked even after pushing all the buttons, dead as a hammer. Took it to the dealer and they say I need a new radio control unit. I asked how much but they didn't have a ready answer, said they could "look it up". Knowing BMW and how proud they are of all their products I'm not very hopeful. Have any of the members had any similar problems and been able to fix it without taking out a small loan? I think I'll try the battery disconnect and see if that fixes it. If it does I'm likely to create some new curse words for my dealer/service dept.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Brian

02 LT-C
Charlotte

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 2:33 pm

Brian,

My symptoms are a little different than yours in that my radio dies if I start the engine with the radio on. It has always reset by disconnecting the battery for 30-60 minutes. I now turn off the radio before starting and it always comes back on. I think my battery may be getting a little weak (it's 3 years old) and needs replacing.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 3:33 pm

Fixed the radio

Hey guys, thought you might be interested to know that the radio control head or unit retails for a wallet busting $495.00 !! The service mgr at my dealership happened to have a "used one" (i'm an optimist) at the shop and sold it to me for 100.00. They put it in and it seems to work just fine. They gave me the old one and I gotta say it's light as a feather. Doesn't feel like it would be worth 25.00 !

This has prompted me to get one of the new Clymer manuals and start doing as much of the service and maint. that I can. I've gotten to the point that I can't justify paying 80.00 per hour for service. Don't get me wrong, the techs at my dealership are really good but I gotta make the change.

Brian
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 4:32 pm

Since you are doing your own maintenance, it might be interesting to reinstall the old control unit the next time you are doing any maintenance and see if it works.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 1:03 pm

I'm a believer!

Dick is right, try the batt disconnect fix. I doubted it myself but I tried it yestidy, left it off the batt for a couple hours ('they' say a 1/2 hour but I forgot about it....) Hooked it up, voila! radio works again. Mine was not a weird problem like yours but it just quit working. Life is once again good (and I got a new top box, Dick!)

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
Dick is right, try the batt disconnect fix. I doubted it myself but I tried it yestidy, left it off the batt for a couple hours ('they' say a 1/2 hour but I forgot about it....) Hooked it up, voila! radio works again. Mine was not a weird problem like yours but it just quit working. Life is once again good (and I got a new top box, Dick!)
Hey, Russ - they keep your old top box? Wonder what they do with the thangs? Back to BMW, I guess.

Glad the radio thang got sorted out. I think it miust be hooked up to my ISP - gvtc - which goes out on a regular basis and I have to unplug the wireless router for a bit. Plug it back in and thangs work like they should! Sometimes makes ya wonder why we got rid of the old wireless communication thangs - smoke signals!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in