Questions about differences btwn models. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Questions about differences btwn models.

Hello gang,

Thinking about buying a 2003 KLT. I already have a 1999

Are there any differences between the 2 model years ? Any improvements ?

I did google search and could not come up with any differences.

Does the 2003 have the automatic or manual center stand ??

The one I am looking at has 136K miles.

Owner says it was Just serviced: Oil change, gearbox oil change, rear drive oil change, fuel filter replaced, metal fuel connectors insralled, air filter replaced, valves adjusted, spark plugs changed, coolant flushed, brake fluid flushed, and clutch fluid flushed.

Bike got a new clutch, crank seal replaced, and tranmission seals replaced at 103k miles. Good brakes & tires.

Asking $1800

Any thoughts and opinions on this? Is it worth it, is it something I should hurry and grab?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 2:24 pm

Re: Questions about differences btwn models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Hello gang,

Thinking about buying a 2003 KLT. I already have a 1999

Are there any differences between the 2 model years ? Any improvements ?

I did google search and could not come up with any differences.

Does the 2003 have the automatic or manual center stand ??

The one I am looking at has 136K miles.

Owner says it was Just serviced: Oil change, gearbox oil change, rear drive oil change, fuel filter replaced, metal fuel connectors insralled, air filter replaced, valves adjusted, spark plugs changed, coolant flushed, brake fluid flushed, and clutch fluid flushed.

Bike got a new clutch, crank seal replaced, and tranmission seals replaced at 103k miles. Good brakes & tires.

Asking $1800

Any thoughts and opinions on this? Is it worth it, is it something I should hurry and grab?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Price isn't bad. The biggest difference between your 99 and the 03 is the sometimes troublesome I-ABS servo brakes where yours has the ABS II system with no servo brakes. I-ABS issues can leave you with only residual braking where the ABS II system will simply not function as ABS and leave you with full braking in a failure. I think the ECHS was on 05 and later but someone will correct me as I am not sure.

The other two things you should ask about are the brake lines being OEM original or after market braided stainless and then the final drive status. An 03 with 136K should have it inspected at least if not rebuilt IMO as it was in the years with higher failures. The FD is not directly swap-able with an 01 and earlier as they moved a sensor and there is no longer a hole in it on top.

Who did the clutch would be an acceptable question also? Receipts for parts and service for claimed services performed.

If all that looks good, then it sounds like a good deal. Only thing I don't like personally is the I-ABS servo brake system issues that are often very expensive to fix but many have had no issues with them at all. Luck of the draw.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Price isn't bad. The biggest difference between your 99 and the 03 is the sometimes troublesome I-ABS servo brakes where yours has the ABS II system with no servo brakes. I-ABS issues can leave you with only residual braking where the ABS II system will simply not function as ABS and leave you with full braking in a failure. I think the ECHS was on 05 and later but someone will correct me as I am not sure.

The other two things you should ask about are the brake lines being OEM original or after market braided stainless and then the final drive status. An 03 with 136K should have it inspected at least if not rebuilt IMO as it was in the years with higher failures. The FD is not directly swap-able with an 01 and earlier as they moved a sensor and there is no longer a hole in it on top.

Who did the clutch would be an acceptable question also? Receipts for parts and service for claimed services performed.

If all that looks good, then it sounds like a good deal. Only thing I don't like personally is the I-ABS servo brake system issues that are often very expensive to fix but many have had no issues with them at all. Luck of the draw.
Thank you Gordon,

I am not clear from your message if mine has the brakes that will not function if the ABS fails or the 2003 bike?

I do know mine has the separate NOT linked front & rear ABS.

From what I understood from you that the 2003 brakes will NOT work if the ABS fails.....correct ??

Thanks.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Thank you Gordon,

I am not clear from your message if mine has the brakes that will not function if the ABS fails or the 2003 bike?

I do know mine has the separate NOT linked front & rear ABS.

From what I understood from you that the 2003 brakes will NOT work if the ABS fails.....correct ??

Thanks.
During certain ABS faults, on the 02 and later with servo brakes, you will lose most of your braking. Your 99 does not suffer from that. If the ABS on a 01 and earlier fail, you still have full brakes, just no ABS function so you could lock up the wheels and slide the front and rear.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
During certain ABS faults, on the 02 and later with servo brakes, you will lose most of your braking. Your 99 does not suffer from that. If the ABS on a 01 and earlier fail, you still have full brakes, just no ABS function so you could lock up the wheels and slide the front and rear.

Thank you.
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 24th, 2016, 11:33 pm

03 has IABS. Good Preventive maintenance is flushing the ABS unit every 2 years. Also EHCS first year was 2005. I have an 04. The ABS has been ok. But i flush it annually. Every 2 years.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 25th, 2016, 8:50 am

Yes -- power center stand came in 2005.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in