• 1 Post By St0rm1
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 2 Post By St0rm1
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2016, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Smoke on center stand

My '99 with 37k stays on center stand ALWAYS, even when riding and I stop for fuel; I guess I like to prove to myself, at 55, that I can still do it, lol ! Anyway, recently I have noticed that starting cold in the garage on the center stand, she puffs out some light, gray smoke for a little bit (30-45 sec) then clears up. While hot, on a ride, there is no smoke. So, the current oil is 20w-50 synthetic with 2600 miles on it since January. The site glass shows 3/4 full before cranking and full, while running. I will go back to dino next change. Oh, and valves were checked at 24k by the dealer. I know that the side stand causes this, too. Any ideas ? Tks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2016, 10:19 pm

Re: Smoke on center stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
My '99 with 37k stays on center stand ALWAYS, even when riding and I stop for fuel; I guess I like to prove to myself, at 55, that I can still do it, lol ! Anyway, recently I have noticed that starting cold in the garage on the center stand, she puffs out some light, gray smoke for a little bit (30-45 sec) then clears up. While hot, on a ride, there is no smoke. So, the current oil is 20w-50 synthetic with 2600 miles on it since January. The site glass shows 3/4 full before cranking and full, while running. I will go back to dino next change. Oh, and valves were checked at 24k by the dealer. I know that the side stand causes this, too. Any ideas ? Tks
I get the same thing on my 01 if it has sat for a few days. 56k on it so not worrying about it. I just suspect that the oil system is pretty good on the cylinders and after sitting, it does collect at the bottom of the cylinders and seep into the combustion chamber as it pools. It just happens faster on the side stand. It also could be aging valve seals allowing some seepage. They are getting older. I am running synthetic and am not going to change back to dino for a little smoke. Not starting another oil thread either As long as it is running well, I wouldn't change a thing.
ValkyrieRider likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 8:48 am

Mine smokes on the centerstand after a few days or weeks if I haven't ridden it. It puffs for a bit. Less than a minute.,then clears up. And the whole time I ride it. Never smokes. Even on road trips. I never use the centerstand. When I shut it down I just tilt slightly to the right for 20 sec and park on sidestand. Next morning. I start her up. And it's fine, no smoke. It's only when it sits that it's a issue. The Flying Brick motor. Gotta love the characteristics .. LOL. Odd design, long lasting. And they run great.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 9:30 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
It's possible it could be water vapor not oil smoke you're seeing. Often moisture will collect in the cylinders and exhaust system when it's shut down or sits. Once you start it up it burns it off and can appear as a off-white to light grey smoke as it will pick up particulates.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
It's possible it could be water vapor not oil smoke you're seeing. Often moisture will collect in the cylinders and exhaust system when it's shut down or sits. Once you start it up it burns it off and can appear as a off-white to light grey smoke as it will pick up particulates.
Nope, it is smoke and a known phenomenon with the brick. It is possible there is a water vapor component at times but you can smell it. It is oil.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 11:58 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Nope, it is smoke and a known phenomenon with the brick. It is possible there is a water vapor component at times but you can smell it. It is oil.
I know they tend to burn a little oil (some more than others) as you mentioned. Just going off the information he provided it sounded like water burning off could be a possibility. Of course being there and seeing/smelling it would be beneficial.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
I know they tend to burn a little oil (some more than others) as you mentioned. Just going off the information he provided it sounded like water burning off could be a possibility. Of course being there and seeing/smelling it would be beneficial.
It is usually pretty easy to tell the difference. The water vapor usually dissipates pretty quickly and the oil forms a cloud that tends to float around for a bit before it dissipates. None the less, it could be both and I am not there to view or take a whiff either.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 8:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The oil sight glass should be empty with the engine warm and running. Next time you finish a ride keep her running and put it on the center stand, the glass should be empty (this is a good way to check the condition of the sight glass). Then shut her off and watch it fill back up with oil.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys - I do smell the significant odor of oil; I have even walked thru it to see how quick it dissipates. Maybe some water vapor in there, too. As James 216 says, it usually happens after sitting a few days or a week. Yea, you gotta love this brick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in