• 3 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 13th, 2016, 5:16 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Rebuilt Front Brake Cylinder

I got the front brake master cylinder rebuilt today. The manual says to remove the heating wires. That's easier said then done. I pry the gap open enough to remove the master cylinder then file the gap so I don't need to pry it to reinstall it that way I don't need to remove the wires.

I didn't see anything wrong with the old seals & the front brake now feels like it did before the brake lever went to the handle bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04LT Master Cyl 007.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	118682   Click image for larger version

Name:	04LT Master Cyl 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	883.9 KB
ID:	118690   Click image for larger version

Name:	04LT Master Cyl 004.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	779.8 KB
ID:	118706   Click image for larger version

Name:	04LT Master Cyl 003.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	794.4 KB
ID:	118714   Click image for larger version

Name:	04LT Master Cyl 006.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	991.9 KB
ID:	118722  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 13th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Re: Rebuilt Front Brake Cylinder

I assume there is no way to disassemble without pulling the MC housing off the bike?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 13th, 2016, 7:20 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Gordon, I'll look and see tomorrow night before I put it back together if there is anyway it can be done while on the handle bars.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:07 pm

OK, normally, if the manual says to do it in a certain way, there is a reason. I will go get my book and read through it myself too.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #5 of 12 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 7:05 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

It can probably be done on the handle bar. You will have to modify the snap ring pliers but you have to do that anyway even if you do it in a vice.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 12 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 9:24 pm

OK, good information. I have already fished the right side heating wire out as i damaged it by pulling too hard trying to get enough slack to clean the throttle goo from underneath causing it to stick and be hard to turn. The trick is to tie a string to it so you have something to pull it back through Probably requires additional disassembly to get to those plugs and the hole in the handle bars. I think I would do the same as you and not pull all that apart if I didn't have to. PM received.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 12 Old Nov 18th, 2016, 5:38 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

It turns out it was not the front brake master brake cylinder after all. The left front brake pad had delaminated from the disc brake pad & fell off. If I had kept pumping the brake lever I would have regained front braking.

When it happened I was afraid to keep pumping the front brake lever in case it was a rupture spilling brake fluid that could have got under the tires. This also explains why I didn't see anything wrong with the master cylinder.

This is my back & forth to work bike that I ride on icy, snowy & salted roads in the winter. I also have used mixed brake pads that I have removed from other LT's that I work on it. I have no idea of the brand of pad that failed or how old it was.
Patric, sailor and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 12 Old Nov 18th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
It turns out it was not the front brake master brake cylinder after all. The left front brake pad had delaminated from the disc brake pad & fell off. If I had kept pumping the brake lever I would have regained front braking.

When it happened I was afraid to keep pumping the front brake lever in case it was a rupture spilling brake fluid that could have got under the tires. This also explains why I didn't see anything wrong with the master cylinder.

This is my back & forth to work bike that I ride on icy, snowy & salted roads in the winter. I also have used mixed brake pads that I have removed from other LT's that I work on it. I have no idea of the brand of pad that failed or how old it was.
Very glad you updated the info on this issue.
Initially, I had assumed your front master-cylinder was an "unlucky" exception as there has been VERY FEW repair needed on the K1200RS forum (for last 13 years).

However, it is important to mention that the older type Master-cylinder as installed on K1100xx, R1100xx are prone to leak and inside bore corrosion with age. So it does look like BMW and Magura learned something useful in designing the newer type front master-cylinders to make them more reliable. These are mainly found on on R1150xx, R1200C, K1200RS/LT and early R1200RT.
Patric, saddleman and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Quote:

Wow, too bad you didn't find that before all that work. Swapping out a pad set is so much easier
saddleman likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2016, 6:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The left front brake pad had delaminated from the disc brake pad & fell off
I had a pad delaminate on or motor home . We got back from a trip, I put the RV in the shed, and found a big piece of brake pad on the shed floor. I thought , this isn't good.

I decided I better just change the pads on all four wheels. Our local Freightliner dealer didn't have pads on hand I ended up having to go an hour and a half away to get 4 sets.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #11 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2016, 8:58 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Here is a picture of the disc pad with the sintered braking material missing. There are no shiny spots because it never touched the brake rotor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike Kimbrell 003.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	119257  
Patric likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Quote:
Here is a picture of the disc pad with the sintered braking material missing. There are no shiny spots because it never touched the brake rotor.
Man that pad plate looks pretty rough. I hope it looked better than that when it went on
Patric likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in