Nervous Newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:32 am Thread Starter

Nervous Newbie

Greetings all! There is a strong possibility I will soon be the rider of a 2004 K12LT with 1650 miles (not a typo). I would be grateful if some experienced owners would share their opinions on a couple items.
1)The only maintenace done on this bike was break in service at 500 miles. That means no annual brake fluid changes or any thing else. Something to worry about? The bike has been garaged and is spotless.
2) Two things bothered me when test riding (while 40 things thrilled me ) A throaty growl/rattle from engine trans area ( sorta like phlegm inth throat ), mainly when accelerating. May have been originating in catalytic converter area. The second is harder to describe. While cruising at various speeds there seemed to be a radom mechanical thump that was mostly felt in the seat. This was not a sound but something felt. Other times it was smooth as glass. Were it a wheel or tire I think it would have been continuous. It almost felt like the center stand was bouncing around, but the road was smooth. A little disconcerting.
3) The owner did not know the bike very well and said it would run on any grade of fuel. If he has been running 87 octane for those 1650 miles could there be some damage?
4) He also had trouble with the immobilizer when showing me the bike. Many times there was only a relay click when the starter was engaged even though the headlight burned brightly (seemingly indicating a charged battery).
Finally this bike has a Pinnacle protection plan (transferrable as I would be the second owner) until 2009. I am concerned that if there were a claim I would be hassled because annual service wasn't done. The owner is having the dealer service the bike and change the battery. The dealer said they would "update" the service log. Any thoughts on Pinnacle?
Sorry to be so lengthy but $14,000 is a chunk of change. Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 7:46 am

Dear Pete,

First, welcome to the forum and to the BMW community! Just my 2 cents worth....

1. Yes, I would have ll the fluids changed. DOT 4 brake fluid is used but it will absorb moisture over time. Your dealer should take care of this when you have the service updated.

2. You may be noticing the BMW alternator growl (normal) but perhaps the exhaust header nuts are loose and need re-torquing. The bump you felt may be that the seat height adjuster was caught between positions. Lift the seat and make sure it is the high or low spot and not in between. Aslo, seat mount might be a bit loose.

3. The LT will run on anything short of after shave but I would use what the manual calls for...91 octane, I think. In 1600 miles, no harm done.

4. The battery in the LT will cause all kind of gremlins to appear from alarm problems to ABS lights flashing. It would be to your advantage to go ahead and replace the battery that has been sitting for so long. A charge on the old battery will give enoght power to start the engine but perhaps not enough to make the other gremlins go away. Most of us have had this issue in the past. Also, get yourself a Battery Tender. Keeps it charged and healthy.

5. I have read many threads on this site that Pinnacal stands behind their warranty product. Your best bet is to get your dealer to go over the bike with that fine toothed special BMW factory comb and change out all the fluids. Synthetic in the final drive and tranny (makes shifting smoother).
A few more bucks spent on a battery and full check-up will give you lots of piece of mind.

Oh, yes......42 lbs in the front tire, 48 in the rear, despite what the book says.

Good luck and ride it like ya stole it! The LT engine loves to rev....and don't worry about the LT buzz at 4500 RPMs...normal. You are in a great part of the country with wondeful roads ton which to run the LT!!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

Last edited by Daman858; Nov 4th, 2006 at 7:51 am.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashvillepete
Any thoughts on Pinnacle?
If your concerned about the coverage from Pinnacle why not contact them directly and ask the question?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:13 am

Some input/feedback on purchasing an LT

Greg, First of all welcome! Please fill in your profile a little. Assuming you have riding experience, it's a good decision to ride an LT.
IMO, low milage with suspect care warrants a penalty, not a premium, in the final price. In this case, it depends on when the owner took delivery of the bike (from fall of '03 to summer of '05?). Also, where is it located? Moisture and subsequent corrosion may not be an issue if it was kept in a dry environment and it's only 18 months old. All things considered from you described, it's probably wise to do the 24K/two-year service before riding it any more.

What about the tire condition if it's been a garage queen for three years?

The throaty growl might be normal, but you need someone with LT experience to ride the bike.

My advice, pay a dealer to do a prepurchase inspection and raise your concerns with them. Ask how much to put the bke in condition for a 6K ride.

Check out the Kelly wholesale, maybe adding some money for low milage, but remember that you may be laying some cash to fix the first owner's mistakes: http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles...nufacturerId=5

Quote:
Greetings all! There is a strong possibility I will soon be the rider of a 2004 K12LT with 1650 miles (not a typo). I would be grateful if some experienced owners would share their opinions on a couple items.
1)The only maintenace done on this bike was break in service at 500 miles. That means no annual brake fluid changes or any thing else. Something to worry about? The bike has been garaged and is spotless.
2) Two things bothered me when test riding (while 40 things thrilled me ) A throaty growl/rattle from engine trans area ( sorta like phlegm inth throat ), mainly when accelerating. May have been originating in catalytic converter area. The second is harder to describe. While cruising at various speeds there seemed to be a radom mechanical thump that was mostly felt in the seat. This was not a sound but something felt. Other times it was smooth as glass. Were it a wheel or tire I think it would have been continuous. It almost felt like the center stand was bouncing around, but the road was smooth. A little disconcerting.
3) The owner did not know the bike very well and said it would run on any grade of fuel. If he has been running 87 octane for those 1650 miles could there be some damage?
4) He also had trouble with the immobilizer when showing me the bike. Many times there was only a relay click when the starter was engaged even though the headlight burned brightly (seemingly indicating a charged battery).
Finally this bike has a Pinnacle protection plan (transferrable as I would be the second owner) until 2009. I am concerned that if there were a claim I would be hassled because annual service wasn't done. The owner is having the dealer service the bike and change the battery. The dealer said they would "update" the service log. Any thoughts on Pinnacle?

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Thank you veterans!

You all have raised some really good points. The seller was a little embarrassed by the starting problems when I tested the bike and he called the dealer and scheduled a service appointment right there. I will call the dealer and ask for a professional evaluation while its in and offer to pay the difference to upgrade to synthetic in the final drive (thanks Dave). And a call to Pinnacle is a no brainer (I guess my brain is swooning a bit over this machine...). And I appreciate the nice welcome from this community. Much Obliged!
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:56 am

I noted a HUGE problem right away... You have about 20k miles to catch up on.. =) About then the bike will be getting "broken in".. live, ride, enjoy!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Insist on paying the dealer and

Quote:
... The seller was a little embarrassed by the starting problems when I tested the bike and he called the dealer and scheduled a service appointment right there. I will call the dealer and ask for a professional evaluation while its in and offer to pay the difference to upgrade to synthetic in the final drive (thanks Dave). And a call to Pinnacle is a no brainer (I guess my brain is swooning a bit over this machine...). And I appreciate the nice welcome from this community. Much Obliged!
make sure the dealer knows the work is for you. Otherwise, you may not get candid feeback; dealers are rightfully loyal to their customers.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in