Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Central Kansas
Doing the 3D Puzzle of the LT
So, I finally had to break down and strip down my LT. I was chasing down a gas leak - ugh. But, thanks to this forum, I found the culprit and tightened the screw - seems to have been the solution but I will know for sure in the coming days. (It already had the metal "quick disconnects" that needed a little love but that is another story). At almost 72,000 miles, I decided to do some of the regular maintenance required, since I had the bike torn apart. I made a couple of mistakes along the way and went back to correct them as needed.
I put the bolt in on the gas tank and realized I needed to move a wire. So, I had to remove the gas tank again but only had one bolt to deal with at that point. The bolt had gone straight in easy enough. But, loosing the bolt was a ridiculous problem. Things started normal and then the bolt started moving sideways and getting harder and harder to loosen. Then, the bolt seemed to be catching on the wall of the hole for the screw/bolt that is in the gas tank. A couple more turns and the bolt was at a bad angle and up against the wall. I couldn't move the bolt in or out; it was completely stuck and I was twisting my Allen wrench for all it was worth. I was afraid the flange sleeve on the bolt could cut into the gas tank. That would be just my luck to let a $3 bolt ruin a $??? gas tank.
I was running through my options but there is very little room to work with in that gas tank hole. Cutting the bolt would be very difficult and I would run the chance of damaging the tank (and I would have to go make a purchase to make that happen). The flange was starting to break so, I broke the flange off with a screw driver to keep from making the flange going into the tank. Then, I put together a make shift breaker bar of sorts and went back to loosing the bolt. Of course, I ended up breaking the bolt. Good news is I only lost about an hour working on 1 bolt.
Next up, on my old LT, I found several of the points where screws go have become very worn and brittle and cracking, particularly on the top of the bike near the radio box (radio is gone to give me more room for stuff). JB Weld to the rescue to strengthen these areas for the future.
Age has shown up on my bike. But, after getting everything back together, for the most part, she is running fast and smooth. I had a great ride this morning and will look forward to many more miles.
Thanks to those who post walk throughs and give valuable information to work on these bikes. A friend said I probably saved over $1500 by doing all of the stuff I did myself instead of going to a shop. Truth is: without this forum, I would not own and thoroughly enjoy BMW motorcycle.