Doing the 3D Puzzle of the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 6th, 2016, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Doing the 3D Puzzle of the LT

So, I finally had to break down and strip down my LT. I was chasing down a gas leak - ugh. But, thanks to this forum, I found the culprit and tightened the screw - seems to have been the solution but I will know for sure in the coming days. (It already had the metal "quick disconnects" that needed a little love but that is another story). At almost 72,000 miles, I decided to do some of the regular maintenance required, since I had the bike torn apart. I made a couple of mistakes along the way and went back to correct them as needed.

I put the bolt in on the gas tank and realized I needed to move a wire. So, I had to remove the gas tank again but only had one bolt to deal with at that point. The bolt had gone straight in easy enough. But, loosing the bolt was a ridiculous problem. Things started normal and then the bolt started moving sideways and getting harder and harder to loosen. Then, the bolt seemed to be catching on the wall of the hole for the screw/bolt that is in the gas tank. A couple more turns and the bolt was at a bad angle and up against the wall. I couldn't move the bolt in or out; it was completely stuck and I was twisting my Allen wrench for all it was worth. I was afraid the flange sleeve on the bolt could cut into the gas tank. That would be just my luck to let a $3 bolt ruin a $??? gas tank.

I was running through my options but there is very little room to work with in that gas tank hole. Cutting the bolt would be very difficult and I would run the chance of damaging the tank (and I would have to go make a purchase to make that happen). The flange was starting to break so, I broke the flange off with a screw driver to keep from making the flange going into the tank. Then, I put together a make shift breaker bar of sorts and went back to loosing the bolt. Of course, I ended up breaking the bolt. Good news is I only lost about an hour working on 1 bolt.

Next up, on my old LT, I found several of the points where screws go have become very worn and brittle and cracking, particularly on the top of the bike near the radio box (radio is gone to give me more room for stuff). JB Weld to the rescue to strengthen these areas for the future.

Age has shown up on my bike. But, after getting everything back together, for the most part, she is running fast and smooth. I had a great ride this morning and will look forward to many more miles.

Thanks to those who post walk throughs and give valuable information to work on these bikes. A friend said I probably saved over $1500 by doing all of the stuff I did myself instead of going to a shop. Truth is: without this forum, I would not own and thoroughly enjoy BMW motorcycle.
bmwcoolk1200 and JaL3_SD like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 7th, 2016, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Re: Doing the 3D Puzzle of the LT

Opened the garage door this morning to wonderful smell of gas! GRRRRR!!!! This time, I got rid of one of the quick disconnects and went old school with a brass connector. The quick disconnects weren't so quick for me anyways - my guess is they had been connected for a long time. Now, I will go with clamps and a screwdriver when needing to remove the gas tank. At least the mistress is running like a top. Hopefully the good weather will keep up for a while.
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 8th, 2016, 10:13 pm

There's an o-ring in those QD's that may be pinched, or just old. Your fix will work well though.

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 11:37 am

Could be the o-rings need replacing for sure. If I do mine again, I am going to go with jiffy tight QD's as there is no O-ring to replace.

The second time I pulled my tank, I looked at the holes in the aluminum frame and most of them were about gone so I used Time Serts to redo them and the tank is now much easier to get on and off without worrying about the aluminum binding on the bolts and breaking them off.

https://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Met...s=time+cert+M8

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 12:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Could be the o-rings need replacing for sure. If I do mine again, I am going to go with jiffy tight QD's as there is no O-ring to replace.

The second time I pulled my tank, I looked at the holes in the aluminum frame and most of them were about gone so I used Time Serts to redo them and the tank is now much easier to get on and off without worrying about the aluminum binding on the bolts and breaking them off.

https://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Met...s=time+cert+M8
Jiffy-Tites are the cat's meow. For an extra $10 when I bought mine, you get much nicer looking parts that are robust and maintenance free.

I have found with my LT that if holes don't line up, something isn't right. I massage the seat frame and body parts until they line up. I have yet to strip a fastener and I never use power tools on fasteners ... ever! Line up the holes (a small flashlight helps) and start the fastener by hand for at least two turns. You will never strip a fastener this way, unless you are the Incredible Hulk.
mtrevelino likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Jiffy-Tites are the cat's meow. For an extra $10 when I bought mine, you get much nicer looking parts that are robust and maintenance free.

I have found with my LT that if holes don't line up, something isn't right. I massage the seat frame and body parts until they line up. I have yet to strip a fastener and I never use power tools on fasteners ... ever! Line up the holes (a small flashlight helps) and start the fastener by hand for at least two turns. You will never strip a fastener this way, unless you are the Incredible Hulk.
Well, I have to say that the damage to the bolt holes were not my doing so it was a PO or shop mechanic who was a little too forceful in reassembly. With the Serts not being aluminum, there is less chance of damage now and much harder to start it on a cross thread and yes, hand tools only on those.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in