Winter battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 8Likes
  • 6 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By vernvernvern
  • 1 Post By MarkF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 5th, 2016, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Winter battery

I am thinking rather than leaving the triple charger on for six months, just disconnect the battery.
Any thoughts?

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 5th, 2016, 11:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Winter battery

The only draw back on that is the alarm system internal battery will run down and may not recover. But I used to do that when I shipped out on 8 month cruises in the Navy but my old Suzuki did not have an alarm.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2016, 7:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The only draw back on that is the alarm system internal battery will run down and may not recover.
If he is talking about his 2000LT, I do not believe he has an alarm system, otherwise, I agree, disconnecting the battery will cause no harm. The bike will just have to relearn everything once it is started, and the radio may lose its presets with the battery disconnected for so long.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2016, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

Correct no alarm

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Contrary to lots of BMW advice, I leave my batteries in the bike and hook my smart trickle charger up and don't look back. No problems. Most smart chargers monitor the voltage closely and only kick in at pre set voltages with minimal charging as needed. Thus the term maintenance charging. I do have a preference as to brand of charger.
Even with the battery on the bench, if you are not using a smart charger, a always on trickle charger will over charge the battery and kaput.
Patric, ibbones, tvguy and 3 others like this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 10th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama View Post
I am thinking rather than leaving the triple charger on for six months, just disconnect the battery.
Any thoughts?
That's OK, but you still should charge the battery back up every 30 days. These new type cheap trickle charges are great as you just leave them hooked up to the battery all winter.
dlafoy likes this.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 12th, 2016, 10:46 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

What's Winter???

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #8 of 13 Old Nov 13th, 2016, 12:50 pm

I use a battery tender. I have only one so I rotate it between 2 or 3 bikes. No worries.
dlafoy likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 30th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Garage

If you have a battery tender, use it, or buy one as not very expensive. I use the BMW maintenance tender and got 7 yrs out of the original battery before it finally failed. Actually it still had enough juice to start the bike but the radio wouldn't work. Took the dealership over 3 weeks to return the bike as they, Toronto BMW and Munich BMW couldn't figure it out. Turned out they had a batch of bad batteries and the second one was from this batch. The 3rd battery finally worked but they never tested it, just expected me to fork out over $900 for a new radio module "to see if that cures the problem" and of course 100% at my expense with no returns.

Dave LaFoy - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2004 Silver K1200LT

2003 Silver R1200CL (prior ride)

1st bike was a Honda Cub 50 in 1963.

Worst bike was a 1958 Triumph 650

post #10 of 13 Old Nov 30th, 2016, 11:22 pm

When I went to play in the sandbox (AFG) for 2 nine month trips and a 4 month I pulled the cable off my ,at the time, 2002 LT. When I returned I hooked it up and away I went. I can't remember the radio issue and I did have an alarm which seemed to be okay. I did have a chip and so the bike did have to re-learn the throttle positioning. I had an Optima battery (AGM). Now I just ride the bikes almost every day in the winter to keep them charged up.
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 30th, 2016, 11:32 pm

Don't forget to put some fuel additive that deals with alcohol in gas if the bike is going over the winter. Today at our local get together two guys had dealers saying warranty issues with no gas additives. I've never heard of this so check with your dealer if you have a bike on warranty. Makes sense anyway. Alcohol gas starts to separate after 6 weeks and really pulls in water. That water ....

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2016, 8:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

We just take the battery ...& rig to Florida for 6 mounts every year...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #13 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 1:01 pm

The best thing for your batteries health over the winter is to leave it on a battery tender. You must make sure that it is a unit that monitors the batteries charge and maintains it by shutting of charging until it detects the charge has dropped then it will start charging until fully charged then shut off.... There are a lot of trickle chargers that continuously charge and do not shut off when the battery gets fully charged and if left on for a long period will ruin the battery. When buying one make sure you don't get a trickle charger as the descriptions on the boxes can be misleading. I have four Battery tender Jr's that have worked flawlessly for ten years. Last battery on the bike lasted 7 years and just changed as a precaution.

Scott
2007 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in