Do we ever pre-ride check?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Do we ever pre-ride check??

Other than checking oil after a full days ride and tire pressure every 2 weeks or so depending on weather changes, I really only check things out prior to a multi days ride or doing a service.
Well I have been doing alot of fall riding and we had a cold day so decided to clean the LT. While I was sitting behind the rear wheel with a spray bottle and rag, when the rag got caught on something on the tire. I have no idea how long that nail had been in there but if the weather had been nice that day I am sure I would have gone riding some twisties around here..
I am going to TRY and look at the bike a little more prior to taking off.
Ride safe all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nail.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	8003  

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:23 pm

Holy cow, Marc. That's a lesson for all of us. I hope you're getting it changed before we meet up some time soon.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:25 pm
BMW Guru

I check tires at least once a week, ussually more. That nail is pretty scary lookin'

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #4 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:54 pm

Marc

Good catch!

Might want to change that valve stem to a metal one while you having the tire changed...
post #5 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:58 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Marc

Good catch!

Might want to change that valve stem to a metal one while you having the tire changed...
I get a new rubber stem every time I buy tires. What's special about the metal one? It still has a ruber seal where the stem meets the tire right?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
Other than checking oil after a full days ride and tire pressure every 2 weeks or so depending on weather changes, I really only check things out prior to a multi days ride or doing a service.
Well I have been doing alot of fall riding and we had a cold day so decided to clean the LT. While I was sitting behind the rear wheel with a spray bottle and rag, when the rag got caught on something on the tire. I have no idea how long that nail had been in there but if the weather had been nice that day I am sure I would have gone riding some twisties around here..
Ride safe all
first let me thank you for picking up that nail or I'm sure my wife would have found a way to pick it up instead <g>, seems she has a magnet for nails!

yes I do pre ride checks often, not every day, but at least a couple times a week, when i am traveling I do them about every morning before we pull out of where ever we stayed

habit is all it is but a good habit

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #7 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
I get a new rubber stem every time I buy tires. What's special about the metal one? It still has a ruber seal where the stem meets the tire right?
The metal valve stems are FAR better than the rubber ones. The rubber ones can fail either by the rubber inside head coming off, or more often by the metal core coming loose from the rubber outside of the stem assembly and blowing out. Neither can happen to the metal ones.

The metal ones are solid metal from the outside part where the valve is screwed into to the inside head, which cannot come out through the hole in the wheel. The rubber washers that seal the metal stems are on the inside and outside of the wheel, squeezed tight enough to seal by the nut on the outside. If they start to leak a little, the nut can be re-tightened.

It is possible for the washers to get old and hardened, but that will be long after rubber valve stems have likely failed.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
the bmw rubber stems have been known for the metal insert to come out, it has nothing to do with how it seals to the rim, we have had three of them do it, all our bikes are metal stems now

I use a aftermarket metal stem that is angled it makes it very easy to check pressure, i have the rear one angled to the left side and the front one angled forward so you can easily get a gauge on it. i can scan a pic of my install if you like for now here is a part number i use

tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve_stem4.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	8010  

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #9 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 8:50 pm

The number of times I have found something or have seen others find something during a wipe down would amaze you. I am convinced that a clean bike is a safe bike. You are one more example in a long line.

Last edited by hdfan; Nov 3rd, 2006 at 9:26 pm.
post #10 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 9:13 pm

yes.. I try to remember to "check" tires when I STOP... visually, then Air Pressure when things cool down.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 9:31 pm

[QUOTE=dshealey]The metal valve stems are FAR better than the rubber ones. The rubber ones can fail either by the rubber inside head coming off, or more often by the metal core coming loose from the rubber outside of the stem assembly and blowing out. Neither can happen to the metal ones.end quote:

David, where is the best place to order these metal valve stems? Does BMW have the nice product or should I pursue after-market? dwillie.
post #12 of 19 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:27 pm

Another reminder to inspect before riding

Quote:
Ride safe all
Marc, thanks for sharing this experience! It only takes 1 minute to spin the tires when the bike is on the center stand. We should all TRY to visually inspect our tires. Whenever I forget to check, it come to mind as I accelerate into my first twisty or on to the hiway -- too late.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #13 of 19 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 9:13 am

Everyday

I check my bike everyday, If I am pulling my trailer, at every gas or rest stop, I check to make sure all lights and signals are working, all chains hitch and wiring harness is right. I have a tire pressure alert and a tire guage, when hauling the trailer I always have a compressor, mini grease gun and marine grade bearing grease (Bearing Buddies installed).
I do enough dumb shit just being me, I don't need equipment failures in the mix.
Rock
PS I don't do the washing thing much, it gets rained on plenty.
post #14 of 19 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
I do enough dumb shit just being me, I don't need equipment failures in the mix.
Hey I resemble that remark

I do a "walk around" at most every stop.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 19 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Le'me see? Pre-ride check. Oh yeah - the key is in the bike; helmet and gloves are still on the stingray; now where did I put my ID badge? Must be in the odments compartment. Turn the key on - pretty lights go on/off; flash pretty red alternating colors - WOW!!! that's koool! Kick stand - check; clutch in; Neutral - yeah it starts!!! Enuff gas to get to work? yep!

Life is good.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #16 of 19 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Ride safe all
I'm a daily rider. I check the tires and pressures daily before riding. Better safe than sorry. I also changed out to metal valve stems, purchased at Pep Boys for about $10, about 4 tire changes ago. I won't own another bike that those aren't installed at the first tire change. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #17 of 19 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Ride safe all
Impressive tire plug!!! I had the same exact puncture but with a phillips head screwdriver. Patch it from the inside and keep it for emergencies.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
Le'me see? Pre-ride check.
Neutral - yeah it starts!!! Enuff gas to get to work? yep!
Life is good.
someofyousguys are just more comfortable livin on the edge

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #19 of 19 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 5:15 am

Thumbs up

Tanks Hans (I love it) - I didn't know my Noo Yawk accent was so noticable. Kinda tongue in cheek. Seriously tho; I check the bike over on the weekends and it gets a thorough inspection prior to any long (read) weekend ride. My weekday ride schedule to work is tight on time. Its worked for the last 25 years so who am I to argue with success.

I ride on the edge too...

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in