electrical issue is rear light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Garage
Question electrical issue in rear lights

On my 2000 LT, somebody pointed out that my rear left light was not illuminated. I figured out that there are three double filament bulbs in the center: 12V 21W & 5W ... and the bulb on each side (turn signals) are single filament bulbs: 12V 21W. I've confirmed all the bulbs are good. I even swapped the turn signal bulbs. The left bulb DOES illuminate when engaging the left turn signal. However, it does not illuminate at what appears to be a lower voltage, like the right one, when simply in running lights mode.

So, which light is at fault here? Is the left one supposed to light up dimly, like the right one, in "running mode", or is the right one not supposed to do that at all? I'm almost inclined to say there's an issue with the right side, but I don't know what is "normal".

... and after you guys help me figure out which side is the problem, where do I start looking? ... since this isn't just a burnt out bulb.

Thanks,
Steve
Titusville, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2253.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	118377  

Last edited by anarchosteff; Nov 3rd, 2016 at 10:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 11:52 am

Re: electrical issue in rear lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchosteff View Post
On my 2000 LT, somebody pointed out that my rear left light was not illuminated. I figured out that there are three double filament bulbs in the center: 12V 21W & 5W ... and the bulb on each side (turn signals) are single filament bulbs: 12V 21W. I've confirmed all the bulbs are good. I even swapped the turn signal bulbs. The left bulb DOES illuminate when engaging the left turn signal. However, it does not illuminate at what appears to be a lower voltage, like the right one, when simply in running lights mode.

So, which light is at fault here? Is the left one supposed to light up dimly, like the right one, in "running mode", or is the right one not supposed to do that at all? I'm almost inclined to say there's an issue with the right side, but I don't know what is "normal".

... and after you guys help me figure out which side is the problem, where do I start looking? ... since this isn't just a burnt out bulb.

Thanks,
Steve
Titusville, FL
I just swapped out all my turn signal bulbs for brighter LED bulbs and the turn signals even though they flash faster from the lower current draw but do not illuminate unless the turn signal is engaged. I can fix the fast flash if I wanted to but I figured it would grab more attention so I left it that way. I honestly never noticed if they were dimly lit before I swapped them out but they are not lit now.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 10:06 pm

My turn signals do not illuminate until the signal is engaged, so it appears that the issue is that your right lamp IS lit, not that the left one isn't.

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 10:24 pm

Re: electrical issue is rear light

The stock turn signal sockets are turn signal only from the factory. I changed all four of my turn signal sockets to work with duel element bulbs for turn signals and running lights. The stock sockets only have two wires, I added a third wire for running lights. This doesn't help you but , how many wires to each socket front and rear. Are there running on the front. If you have three wires back track the added third wire connections. If you only have two wires at each socket, why is it lighted again check wire connections in socket. Good luck, you'll have fun chasing this down.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks guys. It is really starting to seem like the right is the problem. I've even now noticed that it is intermittent. It was acting fine early this morning ... i.e. not illuminated. By the time I got to the office, 35 mins later, it was on.

I know I have a smattering of electrical issues. I have a bad connection in my speed sensor cabling ... my odometer has been just bouncing around for about 18 months. I also get random numbers displayed in my gear indicator for a couple days after it rains.

-Steve
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 12:12 pm

You may have found the fix for your erratic speedo problem, but in case not - take a read thru this.

Erratic speedo, possible fix
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Garage

there is either a short going to the turn signal keeping it live or the divider between the tail lens and indicator lens is missing, your indicators should not be on with the tail light, it could have been wired for a trailer have a good look around under the seats for extra wires

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 5th, 2016, 9:39 pm

It's funny how indicators have got lost in translation. In the U.K. ours stay off until used and in the US yours stay on and then flash. Surely you have it right and we have it wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in