• 1 Post By Smallfishnz
  • 1 Post By Scouter-50
  • 1 Post By Smallfishnz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Front brake pads not touching whole rotor

Anyone struck this one before?
I replaced my Brake pads recently and noticed on front right outside rotor that not all the rust was being removed when the brakes were applied.
I have swapped the pads in this caliper one side to the other to see if I had damaged the pad fitting it and it wasn't touching the rotor close to the center, nothing changed so I figure it is a caliper problem.

When I fitted the pads it was an absolute fight to push the calipers back in, so I am wondering when I apply the brakes if the piston is coming out unevenly.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 3:23 pm

Re: Front brake pads not touching whole rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallfishnz View Post
Anyone struck this one before?
I replaced my Brake pads recently and noticed on front right outside rotor that not all the rust was being removed when the brakes were applied.
I have swapped the pads in this caliper one side to the other to see if I had damaged the pad fitting it and it wasn't touching the rotor close to the center, nothing changed so I figure it is a caliper problem.

When I fitted the pads it was an absolute fight to push the calipers back in, so I am wondering when I apply the brakes if the piston is coming out unevenly.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
What is more likely is you have a rotor that is worn more in the center than at the outsides which is not uncommon if I understand what you are describing. Pad touching at the inside and outside but not in the middle. If the rotor is not worn past the thickness for acceptable operation, it will take some time to bed in the new set of pads. If you have a good stretch of road were you can get it up to speed, do a few really hard front wheel stops and see if you can bed in the new pads, just don't flip the bike. not worth damaging yourself.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Sorry wasn't clear where the pads were not touching, not touching on the inside, almost halfway

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Sorry wasn't clear where the pads were not touching, not touching on the inside, almost halfway
It would be the opposite on the other side of the rotor if the caliper was not on straight. The other possibility is your front wheel is not vertical. I would loosen the pinch bolts and retorque the left side nut, shake the front end, squeeze the front brakes and make sure it is all aligned and then tighten the pinch bolts again.

Update: Did you remove the front wheel?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post

Update: Did you remove the front wheel?
No did not remove the wheel
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 4:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Do you have the right pads? BMW fronts have one part # for the earlier bikes & one for the later .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #7 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 4:31 pm

Quote:
No did not remove the wheel
Then my next thought is that the pads are binding at the top where they hit the caliper. I have a set of pads that would not fit quite right. They looked fine but when the pin was installed and it was a chore to get the pin in, they would not move freely back and forth which caused them to bind and be at an angle in the caliper. If you can't install the pin and then slide the pads back and forth, then I would say some adjustment is necessary to the pad where it hits the caliper or you need to get another set of pads. Are they OEM or after market? Can you slide them along the pin easily or are they binding when vertical in the caliper. The pistons will try and push them out evenly unless they bind.
Patric likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
Do you have the right pads? BMW fronts have one part # for the earlier bikes & one for the later .
Yep happy I have the right pads matched them up with the old ones before fitting
Patric likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Then my next thought is that the pads are binding at the top where they hit the caliper. I have a set of pads that would not fit quite right. They looked fine but when the pin was installed and it was a chore to get the pin in, they would not move freely back and forth which caused them to bind and be at an angle in the caliper. If you can't install the pin and then slide the pads back and forth, then I would say some adjustment is necessary to the pad where it hits the caliper or you need to get another set of pads. Are they OEM or after market? Can you slide them along the pin easily or are they binding when vertical in the caliper. The pistons will try and push them out evenly unless they bind.
OK will check that out, Thanks
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 5:10 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

When you had the pads out did you clean the pucks in the calipers? Did you verify they are all working smoothly? They will build up a brake dust ring and it may keep the pucks from coming out of the caliper equally or at all. If it was one hanging up it would not push the pad into the rotor equally and either the top of the pad would be away or the bottom of the pad would be away, no mater how hard you squeezed the brake lever.

I clean and lube my brake sliders, pins, and scrub the pucks clean once a year as part of a inspection. Just a brass brush and a can or two of brake cleaner and a bit of moly lube for the pins and sliders, and you are golden.

You can also sand you rotors to clean them. You go from the center to the outside, NOT around the rotor. I use 80 grit go around both sides, spay clean with some brake cleaner and all is good to go.

When you clean the caliper you can also make sure the pads are moving freely in the caliper with the clips and pins in place. Clean is you friend in brake work and brake cleaner is not that expensive and works real well. Just be careful around your paint.

Lets us know what you find.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 5:43 pm

I had a set of pads for my wife's R1100RSL that were not quite right. I had to file (using a round file) the pads where they contacted the pins. When I had the proper clearance the pins slid in without any forcing. The pads were free to move side to side after filing.

Robert
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #12 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Aftermarket, the pins fitted fine, the big problem I had was pushing the pistons back, it turned out one of the brake lines was shot, will be replacing the whole lot when finances allow
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
I had a set of pads for my wife's R1100RSL that were not quite right. I had to file (using a round file) the pads where they contacted the pins. When I had the proper clearance the pins slid in without any forcing. The pads were free to move side to side after filing.

Robert
I have a set that is currently filed with the same issue. I would be using them now if i hadn't messed up one of the rotors on that wheel. Went back to the original wheel and pads to diagnose the spare wheel issue later but I had to do a good bit of filing to get the pads to move easily when straight up and get the pin in easily.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in