How to Winter in Wisconsin? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:06 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Talking How to Winter in Wisconsin?

I traded a 98 R1100RS this past spring for a 2005 LT. In the past I was lucky enough to have a friend hold it in his heated garage. This year--at home, I have a well covered car port, unheated, with electricity. Question: Should I just cover the bike and hook up a battery tender for the gelcell? If there are some mild winter days, I could still venture out. Other option: remove battery, keep dead bike in carport. Any advice appreciated.
TimK12LT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:32 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Posts: 460
Put a ski under the front wheel and ride it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimK12LT
Question: Should I just cover the bike and hook up a battery tender for the gelcell? If there are some mild winter days, I could still venture out.
... all winter long!
Or, you could ship it to ABQ and do fly and rides throughout the winter.

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
jgburns is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:40 pm
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,316
Move south?
rixchard is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:46 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Woodbury, MN, USA
Posts: 562
Tim, you'll be surprised how well the fairing, heated seats and grips work. As long as you dress right and there is no ice on the road you should be able to ride comfortably down to 0 or 10 below. So don't putthe bike away, keep it on the charger and you'll be pleased when your buddies are ticked at you for going riding on those days when it is 30 degrees and the sun is shining.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
fredthead is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 5:26 am
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimK12LT
I traded a 98 R1100RS this past spring for a 2005 LT. In the past I was lucky enough to have a friend hold it in his heated garage. This year--at home, I have a well covered car port, unheated, with electricity. Question: Should I just cover the bike and hook up a battery tender for the gelcell? If there are some mild winter days, I could still venture out. Other option: remove battery, keep dead bike in carport. Any advice appreciated.
Tim,

I covered mine with a waterproof, fitted cover and left the trickle charger on mine all winter @ the lowest setting (2 amps). Even at Wisconsin Winter temp's, I would think you'll be ok.

On the first sunny day (hopefully W/O ice on the roads), your in business!

PS: You don't have to move South.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:08 am
Gold Supporter
 
dandoble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rice Lake, WI, USA
Posts: 123
Cool Message from Wisconsin

I give her a drink of fuel stabilizer, put her in a covered trailer, hook up the charger, cover her up, and she sleeps all winter. Just like a big old bear she sleeps all winter. Sometimes on a warm dry day when the sun is shinning I will wake her up by starting her just to see if she is still alive.

I also take some pressure out of the tires.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
dandoble is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:19 am
Senior Member
 
SilverBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 3,208
I know you don't want to hear any smartass comments
on how to survive the winter from a guy in Florida,
but I do have a tip that might be usefull,
back when I was single at one point in my life I had four bikes,
I used a regular household timer ($5-10) and plugged my battery charger(s) into it
then set it for a couple of hours per day


Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"



SilverBuffalo is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:26 am
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I know you don't want to hear any smartass comments
on how to survive the winter from a guy in Florida,
but I do have a tip that might be usefull,
back when I was single at one point in my life I had four bikes,
I used a regular household timer ($5-10) and plugged my battery charger(s) into it
then set it for a couple of hours per day
Sure we do, Hans! Even in Florida, like California, it sometimes gets under 70 (degrees).

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:27 am
Senior Member
 
bigbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Winnebago, IL, USA
Posts: 1,178
Mouse proof

Tim,
there have been several posts about trying to keep mice out of your bike. Parked in an open carport you may or may not have a problem with mice. Still you might want to keep an eye on your baby while she sleeps.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
bigbear is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:40 am
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
Cold winter storage:
  • Change the fluids (especially the engine oil) before winter.
  • Remove the battery and charge it every few weeks.
  • Keep both tires off the ground.
messenger13 is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:34 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lakeville, MN, USA
Posts: 499
Mpls, MN here, I manage to ride all 12 months every year. Some years its only a day or 2 some months, but there are years ('86-87) I have ridden all but 1-2 weeks for the whole year.

In a car port keep her covered and the tender on or remove the battery and charge it every few weeks.

BUT if you want to ride when the opportunity is there I'd change the oil to synthetics for easier starting, also I use ACF-50, which is used in the aircraft industry to protect avionics and metal from corrosion (salty roads for us that are more firmly planted on the ground). I spray it on everything including the wiring, this stuff works great, I have turned several of my FL friends onto it because it protects from sea spray as well.

Another tip, when you finished any winter ride get into the habit of plugging in the tender before you put the cover back on you never know when that 12-20inch snowfall will hit.

My Harley Ultra has always been my winter bike for the last 10 years because of the protection but this year I may be riding the 12GS Adv all winter.

Check out http://www.yearroundriders.com/ for winter riding tips.

I can't remember where I got mine from (I bought a gal) but here is a linky to a source for ACF-50 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/acf50.php

One last word - Gerbing

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dronning is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:45 am
Senior Member
 
rkirker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twinsburg, Ohio, USA
Posts: 439
Drier sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Tim,
there have been several posts about trying to keep mice out of your bike. Parked in an open carport you may or may not have a problem with mice. Still you might want to keep an eye on your baby while she sleeps.

Roy
I have put drier sheets (Bounce) and the like under places where mice have roomed in the past during the winter in some things in the garage last year and it seamed to keep them away. Neighbor told me about it said they dont like them and seamed to work !! I am going to try it place some under the seats and other places and see if that keeps them off the LT.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
rkirker is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 9:13 am
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning
Mpls, MN here, I manage to ride all 12 months every year. Some years its only a day or 2 some months, but there are years ('86-87) I have ridden all but 1-2 weeks for the whole year.

In a car port keep her covered and the tender on or remove the battery and charge it every few weeks.

BUT if you want to ride when the opportunity is there I'd change the oil to synthetics for easier starting, also I use ACF-50, which is used in the aircraft industry to protect avionics and metal from corrosion (salty roads for us that are more firmly planted on the ground). I spray it on everything including the wiring, this stuff works great, I have turned several of my FL friends onto it because it protects from sea spray as well.

Another tip, when you finished any winter ride get into the habit of plugging in the tender before you put the cover back on you never know when that 12-20inch snowfall will hit.

My Harley Ultra has always been my winter bike for the last 10 years because of the protection but this year I may be riding the 12GS Adv all winter.

Check out http://www.yearroundriders.com/ for winter riding tips.

I can't remember where I got mine from (I bought a gal) but here is a linky to a source for ACF-50 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/acf50.php

One last word - Gerbing

Dave
Dave,

I went to the Rounder's web site. Well, I was embarrassed--being from SO CA!

That aircraft anti-corrosion coating was great! Thank you.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 2:35 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Dave,

I went to the Rounder's web site. Well, I was embarrassed--being from SO CA!

That aircraft anti-corrosion coating was great! Thank you.
Thanks for all the info guys--this was my first post after lurking awhile. It is my younger brother who gave the first reply about adding a ski... I'm especially interested in the corrosion spray... with all the advice I've received-I look forward to many winter rides, something I never attempted on other previous bikes... Tim
TimK12LT is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 3:46 pm
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 205
I was out today - went to BMW, got 2 new Metzs installed and bought a battery tender. 32 degrees on the BC. Windshield up, long sleeve T, North Face jacket, BMW jacket, full face helmet, long johns, jeans, tennis shoes. Grips heat on high, seat heat on low. The only reason I couldn't stay out longer is the tops of my hands got too cold. May look into heated gloves (saw some Gerbings at dealership). Anyway, like I was saying, as long as there's no snow on the roads, I can always bundle up!

I did buy the tender though since I will probably go all week without starting it up. I barely got it to turn over today because it was sitting in a cold garage all last week.

BTW: by carport, do you mean garage? people from Wisc don't say carport
rjhammetter is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 9:31 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Our house is a Frank Lloyd Wright type designed by a student of his... It has a carport...
TimK12LT is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 4:11 am
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
I was out today - went to BMW, got 2 new Metzs installed and bought a battery tender. 32 degrees on the BC. Windshield up, long sleeve T, North Face jacket, BMW jacket, full face helmet, long johns, jeans, tennis shoes. Grips heat on high, seat heat on low. The only reason I couldn't stay out longer is the tops of my hands got too cold. May look into heated gloves (saw some Gerbings at dealership). Anyway, like I was saying, as long as there's no snow on the roads, I can always bundle up!

I did buy the tender though since I will probably go all week without starting it up. I barely got it to turn over today because it was sitting in a cold garage all last week.

BTW: by carport, do you mean garage? people from Wisc don't say carport
Ryan,

When it's 32 out, do you ever find some black ice on your roadway?

I commute between two loc's also. In the winter, it gets cold in Lancaster (high desert elevation/under 30 degrees); and I always think about hitting ice in the roadway!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 5:56 pm
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 205
ummm, I rode a moped for 5 years and a 750cc Honda for 3 before getting this LT. rode the scooter year round (in snow, used feet as skis). never had any problem with hitting an ice patch I couldn't see coming on either bike.

I doubt I've had 100% pure luck the last 5 years of riding to not have encountered black ice. I guess if there were any chance of snow/ice/freezing water being on the roadways, I wouldn't go out. Could black ice form without precipitation? I'm no meteorologist.

That's why I was saying I will keep the bike available all winter as long as the roads stay in good shape for riding.

*edit* I just did some research and found that black ice CAN form from fog and other ways besides rain/snowfall. We do have an abundance of frost, dew, and fog in these parts, so I should be more aware of it when riding in below freezing temps. Again, I've never encountered any in my 5 years of riding, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't consider it. Thanks for the thought Jay.

Last edited by rjhammetter; Nov 4th, 2006 at 8:37 pm.
rjhammetter is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:18 pm
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
ummm, I rode a moped for 5 years and a 750cc Honda for 3 before getting this LT. rode the scooter year round (in snow, used feet as skis). never had any problem with hitting an ice patch I couldn't see coming on either bike.

I doubt I've had 100% pure luck the last 5 years of riding to not have encountered black ice. I guess if there were any chance of snow/ice/freezing water being on the roadways, I wouldn't go out. Could black ice form without precipitation? I'm no meteorologist.

That's why I was saying I will keep the bike available all winter as long as the roads stay in good shape for riding.

*edit* I just did some research and found that black ice CAN form from fog and other ways besides rain/snowfall. We do have an abundance of frost, dew, and fog in these parts, so I should be more aware of it when riding in below freezing temps. Again, I've never encountered any in my 5 years of riding, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't consider it. Thanks for the thought Jay.
I've heard from other bikers who ride at low temps that water run off from sprinklers and gutters is the most likely culprit.

Once, with air temps approx 30, a buddy went down in a driveway from ice. An examination of the scene revealed that vehicles had splashed water from the unfrozen gutter up onto the driveway. The water froze and the driveway became very slippery. Ouch!

BTW, a carport, at least in SO CA, is not fully enclosed--meaning you have a roof and maybe one wall.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jayjacobson; Nov 4th, 2006 at 11:24 pm.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 12:33 am
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 205
Yeah I looked carport up after I made that comment... feel a little sheepish for not knowing that In my defense, they are not practical in the midwest - probably because half the year demands more protection from cold. No one wants their interior the same temp as outside, brrrrrrr

Of course carports in Tex, Fl, and Cal are all fine and dandy because you all have perfect weather year round ... besides the extreme humidity, hurricanes, and earthquakes, respectively. Overnighted in Houston mid-summer once, walked outside, started sweating just standing around, and I'm a pretty healthy guy! I'll take my seasons and white Christmas
rjhammetter is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 3:31 am
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
Yeah I looked carport up after I made that comment... feel a little sheepish for not knowing that In my defense, they are not practical in the midwest - probably because half the year demands more protection from cold. No one wants their interior the same temp as outside, brrrrrrr

Of course carports in Tex, Fl, and Cal are all fine and dandy because you all have perfect weather year round ... besides the extreme humidity, hurricanes, and earthquakes, respectively. Overnighted in Houston mid-summer once, walked outside, started sweating just standing around, and I'm a pretty healthy guy! I'll take my seasons and white Christmas
Well my garage is not much better. Last winter, when it was in the teens a few nights, my garage was maybe 5 or 6 degrees warmer!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:20 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lakeville, MN, USA
Posts: 499
Black Ice:
One of the ways it forms is from the water from car exhausts. Intersections can get very bad or anywhere traffic is always slow/stopped like rush hour in the bottle neck areas.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dronning is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parking it for winter rkirker Bike Talk 15 Nov 14th, 2006 4:14 pm
Ari’s winter farkle projects, part 1 (reverse radar) pozo_izquierdo K1200LT 17 Apr 9th, 2006 7:44 pm
Snowed in? Too cold? Winter project(s) time! messenger13 Chit Chat 17 Jan 2nd, 2006 5:59 am
Winter Gloves N3xuS Rider's Gear & Luggage 8 Nov 20th, 2005 12:50 am
Winter Storage claude2005 K1200LT 1 Oct 14th, 2005 9:56 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome