K1200 LT muffler - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 9:51 am Thread Starter
ajs

K1200 LT muffler

I don't know if this is the proper forum for this posting but here goes anyway.
I am planning to make a "Meese Tool Tube" much like the ones made by Ari and his buddy from Finland. One of the things I am looking for is a scrap or otherwise damaged muffler with a salvageable end piece. Any will do as long as it is compatible in appearance with an '05 LT muffler. If you have such or know of one that might be available I am interested. Any information such as location, price, condition etc. would be helpful.

Many thanks for help from any and all on this forum.

Austin S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 9:53 am
Super Moderator

There's one for sale on eBay. Looks like you may be able to grab it fairly cheap; it's at $50 with no bids and 3 hours left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/stock...spagenameZWDVW

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:18 am

I've got a complete exhaust system if the E-bay thing doesn't work out for you,
that is a good price, Beemer Bone yard gets $175 for them, I'll go half of that.
but there's another thing you should consider,
I just went out and looked at mine,
the chrome piece (not the heat shield) is only full around the last six inches,
the rest is a half cover bolted to the muffler.
I think that Jouko (who I think runs a machine shop)
fabricated the entire setup himself rather than using used LT parts.
I think it's a great idea but wouldn't work for me as I have a Bushtec hitch taking up the right side.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 3:15 pm

Ok, you want it to look posh like you got a double exhaust. I used a stainless steel toilet brush holder - 14" long 4" diam. hung it from the side box and it looks great. Run a bungy cord from lid (with improvised rubber gasket) to base and you got a waterproof container. Stick a drainage hole in the lower front to be on the safe side if you like. Total cost £9.

Stobie
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
ajs

I appreciate the responses I have received and goodness knows the prices are good. I would rather not destroy a perfectly good exhaust just to get the end piece if it can be avoided. I would prefer to cut the end piece off an exhaust that is no longer functional. For the time being, I am still looking.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
I appreciate the responses I have received and goodness knows the prices are good. I would rather not destroy a perfectly good exhaust just to get the end piece if it can be avoided. I would prefer to cut the end piece off an exhaust that is no longer functional. For the time being, I am still looking.
Okay - that being said, I got one, Austin. Actually, I got four of the dang thangs!!! Butt one of 'em is in pretty bad shape as far as being a functional exhaust system. The end piece is fine on this one (btw, none of 'em have the chrome one piece heat shield). All you gotta do is cover the shipping costs. PM-ping me if you're interested and we'll work out details and time schedule then.
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:32 pm Thread Starter
ajs

I got an offer I "couldn't refuse" from Dick of Boerne, Tx. Most of you know him from this site. It is not the first time he has come to the aid of a 'wanting' LT owner on this site.

As I mentioned earlier, I am planning to make a "Meese Tool Tube" for my '05 LT. Il hope it will enhance the appearance of the bike as well as provide extra storage. It is a winter months project that won't see the light of day until spring... If it sees the light of day at all, that'll be a good thing.

I would like to thank all you who took the time to look and especially those who wrote with information. And, particularly to Dick for the great offer. I am sure I will be thinking good thoughts about your generosity with the odd blessing thrown in (if you don't mind) as the winter and this project progresses along.

It really won't measure up to the efforts of the "Farkeling Finn." and his buddy, but I will advise this forum with pictures and appropriate information
when the project is completed. There may be some like driven LT souls out there who might benefit.

Thanks again,
Austin S.
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
It really won't measure up to the efforts of the "Farkeling Finn." and his buddy, but I will advise this forum with pictures and appropriate information
when the project is completed. There may be some like driven LT souls out there who might benefit.

Thanks again,
Austin S.
Hi Austin,

glad you found help to your problem. And to me it was no surprise that it was again Dick. The same guy that mailed me the BMW Anonymous book for my and Jouko's Big Trip. (Which we luckily did not need...).

And don't be too bashful, now! If you get hold of the authentic muffler end piece you have already solved 50% of the task of making the "real dual exhaust". (The actual tube is no big deal.) The other 50% is the muffler shield. I think you will not be happy if you leave your system without it.

Just use your original as a template and take 0,7 mm stainless steel sheet and sketch it there. Don´t worry about all the dents and folds that the original shield has if you can get the overall curvature and shape about the same. It will be really tough for anyone to try to see your copy and the original simultaneously and make the comparison.
As I mentioned to you before, you could try to extend the tube some 20 mm or make the shield lower edge a bit longer and thus the end of the tool tube would not be so easily visible. This is what I (or actually Jouko) would do differently if he ever would do "the fake muffler" #3.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing how it turned out.

And BTW to others: I already made a proposal to Austin to make two or three units at the same time if he decides to tackle the project but he figured one would be enough at this time...
Judging from the interest Jouko's "fake mufflers" arose during our CCR trip I could imagine there could be some potential buyers if some craftsman would fabricate a series of them. This should be a piece of cake to a stainless steel professional compared to other tasks the board members have tackled (trunk latches etc.)
I can easily assist with dimensions and small advise and my buddy Jouko would not feel bad about somebody copying the idea (as he actually did himself,too!). Producing and shipping them from Finland would not make sense as his company is specialized in other kind of machinery and equipment.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in