front shock preload? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Question front shock preload?

Is there a preload adjustment for the stock front shock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:32 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan

no adjustment on the front

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
Yup - what Ted said. However, Ohlins is an aftermarket shock manufacturer and Parts-Unlimited is one of their vendors and I noticed an ad in MOA ON mag regarding on-the-fly adjustable shocks - front and rear. They don't list a unit for the K1200LT, butt they do for a coupla other BMW models. Click here for P-U on-line description. I'm not even sure the LT's telelever and/or paralever arrangement would benefit from a product like this, or even be able to be integrated as a retro unit. Food for thought, tho.

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Hi Ken , you could put some pre-load on the front shock . You need to take the shock off . Then take it apart , and put some shims under the spring . There isn't any pre-load on the spring , so if you shim it up a little it might do what you want it to do .

After I had Hannigan put our sidecar on our LT . I didn't like the way our rig turned , but it did go straight real good . Anyway it was way harder to turn than It was on our old K100/EML GT2 . So I then added there ( Hannigan's) steering offset thingy to move the front wheel out around 1"+ on our K1200LT . That made it a lot easier to turn , and it still when straight real good . Our old rig was real twitchy going straight , it would move back and forth 3"-4" all the time when your trying to go in a straight line . But you could run with the big dogs in a turn . After the front end change on our K1200/Hannagan2+2 our front fender would hit the bottom of the fairing , when we hit a bad bump . So I got a heavy duty spring from Hannigan ,And put that on . I had to turn part of the spring landing down a little , as the new spring was a bit bigger . And I had to compress it a round 1" to get it put back together . But that did the trick , and all's well etc .

Anyway It would take a lot of work , but you could stiffen up the spring a little if you wanted to .Hope this is of some help (;-)...patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in