extended warrantee advise needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 8:35 pm Thread Starter

extended warrantee advise needed

I am rapidly approaching 36,000 miles on my 05 LT.

Should I spend $1,000 for an extended warrantee?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 9:21 pm

I'm in the same boat, 05, 30,000 miles & I don't think I will.
post #3 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 9:31 pm

I was faced with that same decision and opted to pass on one. A year later, I sold my LT and bought a new GT. I guess I saved myself $1,000...now didn't I?

Let's face it, the majority of people that buy extended warranties don't use them. Otherwise, the insurance companies wouldn't offer them.

post #4 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 9:45 pm

In my opinion the extended warranty is a no brainer....due to all of the very expensive parts/labor on the LT's. Mine came in handy three months ago with a 2500.00 Servo Brake pump removal and replacement that went out on my 2002 LT with only 9000 miles. I ended up paying a 25.00 deductible only....plus I get three new tires out of the extended warranty plan...

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #5 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 9:52 pm

Extended Warranty

I just turned 35,600 miles on my 2005. It will be two years old in February. I just purchase extended warranty on it which covers it up to February of 2011. I plan to ride it one more year, which it will have over 50,000 miles on then. Since the warranty is transferable I feel it will be easier to sell the bike plus it will be worth $1,000 more with the warranty than if I did not have it. With 55,000 miles and 3 years warranty should help sell the bike.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
I just turned 35,600 miles on my 2005. It will be two years old in February. I just purchase extended warranty on it which covers it up to February of 2011. I plan to ride it one more year, which it will have over 50,000 miles on then. Since the warranty is transferable I feel it will be easier to sell the bike plus it will be worth $1,000 more with the warranty than if I did not have it. With 55,000 miles and 3 years warranty should help sell the bike.
I'm considering the extended warranty too. Who did you find to offer this warranty? Don
post #7 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:37 am
BMW Guru

check out this thread -

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...3520#post93520

I'm not going to be at work for a while due in a MC crash but you can PM me and I can help you out if interested...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
Since the warranty is transferable I feel it will be easier to sell the bike plus it will be worth $1,000 more with the warranty than if I did not have it. With 55,000 miles and 3 years warranty should help sell the bike.
That's the part I disagree with. I wouldn't pay $1K more for a used bike with an extended warranty. Perhaps some would. I just don't think you can make that blanket statement.
post #9 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 8:14 am

Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillie
I'm considering the extended warranty too. Who did you find to offer this warranty? Don
I purchased Pinnacle with the Touring Package included ABS brakes, electrical components (factory installed sound system), fuel system, all seals, gauges, front rear suspension, transmission components, primary drive components (slave cylinder) and all engine components. I purchased through my local dealer, which he does honors. He tells me most all the BMW dealers will accept Pinnacle.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #10 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 9:35 am

Extended Warranty

I am just curious if Joe is always negative and has ever agreed with anyone unless he has it. I probably should not say the above for I do not know Joe and he is probably a great guy. He did help me purchase a Garmin 2610.
I probably would not pay $1,000 more for a bike with 3 years warranty. But I would think a bike with three years warranty would be worth more than one with no warranty, especially with 55,000 miles. When I purchase my first LT in 2003 I was not sure enough that I would like one well enough to purchase a new one. So I purchased a 2001 with 2900 mile on it off EBay. It had one year warranty left or I would not have purchased it. I figured if there was anything seriously wrong with it my dealer would take care of it. I looked at several LTís before I purchase the 2001 and I wanted one with at least one year warranty. Due to all the very expensive parts and labor on the LT it does not take much to pay back the warranty cost. I am able to do most all my own service work and most repairs. I have drilled the weep hole for the slave cylinder. I hope I never have to use my extended warranty but I feel better knowing I should not have any large repair cost. I do ride about 20 to 25 thousand miles a year so I think that is another reason to purchase extended warranty. If you ride eight to 10 thousand miles a year it is pretty expensive per mile. Joe will not agree to this.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #11 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 9:49 am
Super Moderator

Do you plan on keeping your LT for a few years (or in your case thousands of miles) beyond the factory warrant coverage? If so I would recommend it. Parts and labor costs on covered items is generally high enough to make up the cost on even a few minor claims. You don't have to anticipate a major failure to try and justify the cost.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:18 am

I'd advise if you own a pre 2005 model and ride it alot, then the warranty should be worth it. Lots of clutch, throttle/cruise cables, transmission, final drive, engine/coolant seals, radio and ABS brake problems. All VERY expensive and paid for many expensive repairs for my 136,000 mile 2000 K1200LT. I'm considering one for my 2006 and waiting to see if expensive problems begin cropping up with the 2005/6 models. I will likely wait till 35,000 miles which will probably be this time next year and make my decision. I will also have the engine, transmission and final drive oils analyzed to see if everything is in good shape or not. The only reported problems I've noticed with the 2005/6 models is with the centerstand. Anybody agree or disagree with my thinking?
post #13 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:55 am

I have pinnacle, purchased through the dealer a year ago, in the 3 instances when I had something go wrong, I was only able to get them to cover one item, cost $280.00, sure it helped, but to me not worth paying $1000 for only $280 worth of repair. Maybe I just did not have the right things go wrong on my bike for them to cover
post #14 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:09 am

Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
I'd advise if you own a pre 2005 model and ride it alot, then the warranty should be worth it. Lots of clutch, throttle/cruise cables, transmission, final drive, engine/coolant seals, radio and ABS brake problems. All VERY expensive and paid for many expensive repairs for my 136,000 mile 2000 K1200LT. I'm considering one for my 2006 and waiting to see if expensive problems begin cropping up with the 2005/6 models. I will likely wait till 35,000 miles which will probably be this time next year and make my decision. I will also have the engine, transmission and final drive oils analyzed to see if everything is in good shape or not. The only reported problems I've noticed with the 2005/6 models is with the centerstand. Anybody agree or disagree with my thinking?
I very much agree with you. My 2005 has had very little problems. When it was new the weather band on my radio did not work properly, which was no big thing. It was replaced under warranty. Also I did have a seal leak on the right front fork and a seal start leaking on the out put shaft of the transmission, again these were taken care of by warranty. When they replaced the seal in the transmission is when I had the dealer drill the weep hole for the slave cylinder. This was all in the first 20,000 miles. I now have 35,600 miles and have had no other problems. I have had no centerstand problems. I am like you I did wait until I had 35,000 miles on the bike. It is now covered until Feb. 2011.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #15 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:15 am

Sheldon - what problems did you have that were not covered by your warranty?

JerryM - thank you for your comments.
post #16 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
That's the part I disagree with. I wouldn't pay $1K more for a used bike with an extended warranty. Perhaps some would. I just don't think you can make that blanket statement.
I agree with that statement. I would also be more likely to buy a bike with an extended warranty than one without... but not for another $1000.00.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 5:03 pm

I would

If I were in your shoes, I think I would go ahead and purchase the warranty. I have a 2000 LT and it need a new ABS system, and the parts alone are 1500. Wished I had an extended warranty. With all the things that can go wrong with the LT's, and the cost of the parts and labor for repairing them, I think it is pretty cheap insurance. I am not sure if I would pay an extra 1000 for a used bike with a warranty, but I do think I would pay more for one that had one, than one than did not. I don't know how the BMW warranties are, but I once had an extended warranty on a Harley, and I traded the bike in at my dealer, and I was given a rebate on the unused part of the warranty. Just my opinion. jrlakin
post #18 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:08 pm

I just bought a 2003 LT and the final decisiong factor for me was that it had an extended warrantee through 2009. I likely would have bought a diff bike but they were out of warrantee. This becomes quite important to me right now as I stand in the rain stranded because the bike will not shift. AAA on the way: I am already cashing in. I wouldn't ride without one. Just my two (wet) pennies.
post #19 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSue

I have one on my bike, and I'll tell you why,

I had planned on keeping it for four or five years or so when I bought the bike, I knew I would put a ton of miles on it, in fact it was out of factory warranty by miles the first year I owned it.

I did not want to have to lay out cash if I had a failure while traveling to far off places, face it if it breaks at home you can probably save a ton of money anyhow.

if you are planning on keeping the bike for years and are going to put a bunch more miles on it and you want peace of mind that you will not have to lay out a ton of Cash to repair or replace things like final drives, tranny's engine, you can probably justify it.
If you plan on keeping the bike another year or so then no I wouldn't buy one.

JMHO as a tech for years, extend-eds are great money makers for the sellers I mean GREAT, they used to have a TON of markup, I don;t know what it is now

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #20 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:27 pm

Mu 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSue

How qualified of a wrench are you? Many of the people responding are quite mechanical and can smell problems before they developed into EXPENSIVE ones.
Whether or not you are mechanically inclined may impact your considering the extended warranty.
Even when I have a warranty repair done by the dealer, I end up rechecking their work. I got one for my Mom's car, didn't for ours.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #21 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 8:33 pm

Sorry, but I'll ask the 'million dollar' question not yet specifically covered:
can someone other than the original owner (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, etc owner) of a bike purchase extended warranty (prior to the existing warranty expiring, or course)?

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #22 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 9:40 pm

If the bike is still in warrantee a dealer can sell you an extended warrantee. If you are not buying from a dealer you can have the seller sell it to a dealer and him in turn sell it to you. A dealer will usually charge $500 for this service, likely some of that covers his B&O costs and paperwork.
post #23 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_helmet
Sorry, but I'll ask the 'million dollar' question not yet specifically covered:
can someone other than the original owner (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, etc owner) of a bike purchase extended warranty (prior to the existing warranty expiring, or course)?
your asking a much larger question here

this depends on several things, the warranty company contract first

some will allow a second owner to purchase a warranty with restrictions on a used vehicle some will not

some will not care if the bike is still under factory warranty or not
some will

take one company, if you purchase a warranty for a used bike or after the factory warranty expires they will not cover ANY oil leaks!

one thing you must do is ALWAYS request a copy of the contract with all its fine print before you buy a extended warranty read every word, you want to see the exclusions and on some contracts the inclusions,
REMEMBER just because a item is not listed on the exclusions list it does not mean it is covered read the fine print to see

like on my interstate policy it has a list of things covered and not covered, well my reverse is not on either the covered list or the not covered list, so they will not cover it!

read your policy closely before you buy one

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #24 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
check out this thread -

I'm not going to be at work for a while due in a MC crash but you can PM me and I can help you out if interested...
Ted, you have a P.M. dwillie.
post #25 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:02 pm

Who'd ya get?

Hey Chipper,
What company did you get your warranty from and what was the cost? I've got low miles but the warranty is up next May, so i'll need to make a deci$ion.
Thanks,
Jeff
post #26 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:06 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz56
Hey Chipper,
What company did you get your warranty from and what was the cost? I've got low miles but the warranty is up next May, so i'll need to make a deci$ion.
Thanks,
Jeff
The Protection plan that Bill got from us is with Western Service Contracts. These are ONLY available on new vehicles at time of purchase. For customers that want a plan after the fact we offer through Pinnacle Protection plans. You can read more here -

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in