8Likes
  • 2 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 3 Post By Captain_Wayne
  • 1 Post By Tricky_dickey
  • 2 Post By vernvernvern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

LT tires: 73W load rating ok?

Folks, I was running the Avon Storm II tires til my rear went flat coming home from a ~200 mile ride this past weekend. Fortunately I got the bike stopped ok! I got 4605 miles on them, and while I like the handling, I really need to get more life out of a set of tires. I called Motorcycle Superstore and decided to go with the Bridgestone Battlax. I don't do long straight line distances. I commute back-and-forth to work on this bike and occasionally take it out in the twisties on the weekends.
Anyway, my tires showed up today and they are the Battlax T030 EVO. What worries me is that the rear tire has a 73W load rating. I looked up motorcycle tire load ratings online and this is supposed to be good for 805 pounds. However, the stock 79V load rating is good for 963 pounds. Has anybody else run this T030 tire? Do you think it's OK with this lower load rating? I called motorcycle superstore back and they assured me it would be fine, but I'm not sure if they know what they are talking about or not at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 1:57 pm

Re: LT tires: 73W load rating ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscotter View Post
Folks, I was running the Avon Storm II tires til my rear went flat coming home from a ~200 mile ride this past weekend. Fortunately I got the bike stopped ok! I got 4605 miles on them, and while I like the handling, I really need to get more life out of a set of tires. I called Motorcycle Superstore and decided to go with the Bridgestone Battlax. I don't do long straight line distances. I commute back-and-forth to work on this bike and occasionally take it out in the twisties on the weekends.
Anyway, my tires showed up today and they are the Battlax T030 EVO. What worries me is that the rear tire has a 73W load rating. I looked up motorcycle tire load ratings online and this is supposed to be good for 805 pounds. However, the stock 79V load rating is good for 963 pounds. Has anybody else run this T030 tire? Do you think it's OK with this lower load rating? I called motorcycle superstore back and they assured me it would be fine, but I'm not sure if they know what they are talking about or not at this point.
The 79V requirement is there for a reason. It is not recommended that you stray from it as it is a heavy beast. The Bridgestone you would need is the Battlax BT-020 with reinforced sidewalls 79V rating. Anyone who sells you a tire that is not recommended for your bike is putting your safety at risk. You will not find that T030 EVO tire fittment listed for the rear of an LT.
saddleman and Tricky_dickey like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2016, 2:53 am

Garage

On my Dutch LT there are Dunlop Roadsmart II tyres with de 73W index. A very experienced motorshop gave me the advice to mount these tyres and I must say they ride great. I drove topspeed on the German autobahn, took lots of corners in the Black Forest and the give lots of feedback in the most positive way. The speedindex is suitable for bikes up to 300km/h, energy is 1/2 x m x v2, so I guess these tyres will not be driven on the edge on a LT. But BMW indicates 79V.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2016, 1:47 pm

Garage

The LT rear tire should be "reinforced", any other choice you take your chances. Best possible safety available vs. questionable safety. Your choice. Almost the same type of reasoning when it comes to "should I repair my ABS brake system?" or "should I bypass the system?". Your choice again. Your loved ones will question why you didn't err on the side of safety when you had the knowledge and opportunity. Was it that last ounce of performance you craved? or was it because you didn't want to spend the money in order to maintain original specifications?, or was it because it is in your nature to build a better mousetrap? Food for thought. My opinion; if the insurance companies were well informed of the deviation from the BMW specifications for the LT by you, then I think they wouldn't hesitate to void any claim you make especially if injury was involved. The bottom line is that I respect the lives and well being of all our members. So I would like the opportunity to say, "Please be safe as you can possibly be and please be cognizant that safety begins with you and the choices you make".

Currently owned,
1966 R50
2000 K LT
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2016, 2:27 pm

just went through this same process - after a long discussion with a tire rep and a test trial u need the 79v and the key is the reinforced sidewall. this makes all the difference in the handling - the non reinforced tended to squirm more on the slab- worst 2 up - after replacing it now is steady and true -

send it back and get the right tire -
END
Axle likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 3:27 pm

You'll learn to love the ""reinforced" tire when it goes flat at 75 MPH. It'll squirm a bit getting the bike to a stop but you STILL WILL HAVE CONTROL. Ask me how I know this!
I think safety, why, I just found out about an inexpensive air bag vest so started wearing one every ride right away! Just my .02 cents worth.
r75 and saddleman like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in