For THe People Interested In The Harbor Freight Lift - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up For THe People Interested In The Harbor Freight Lift

For the people that have interest in the Harbor Freight Lift. I understand that there are several people that think the lift is too cheap and would not put their bike on one. As several have quoted you do not see them in the motorcycle shops. If I were a motorcycle dealer using it everyday I would not purchase one either.

Here is what I find works great.I moved the wheel stop forward 6 inches, which make a big improvement on the stability of the bike on the lift. Moving the bike ahead six inches put the center stand directly over the welded reinforcement brace under the platform and centered the bike on the platform. The bike sets solid on the platform with the center stand over the reinforcement brace. I moved the U bolts directly under the passenger foot pigs and cut two short nylon tie down straps feeding them through the space on the foot pigs mounting bracket and using two ratchet type tie downs one on each side to secure the bike. I do not even use these if I am just cleaning the bike. With these and the front wheel vice the bike will not move at all. To remove the front wheel release the front vice and ratchet the tie down straps a little more and it raises the front wheel up and with the center stand on the cross member the bike is solid. There seems to be very little effort in raising the bike with the hydraulics other than a few pumps. As soon as you rise if you like insert the safety rod and let the lift rest on it and there is no way the bike is going to come down. Again this is for the people interested in the Harbor Freight Lift. There is nothing wrong with this lift if used properly. I know one person said they knew someone that had a cylinder leak right away and they would never buy one. It has one year warranty and if you buy it at a Harbor Freight Store for $29.00 extra you can take it back in one year and exchange it for a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300009.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	7935   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300010.JPG
Views:	692
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	7936   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300016.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	7937   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300007.JPG
Views:	778
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	7938   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300019.JPG
Views:	1042
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	7939  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 1:18 pm

hard to get off?

Do you have a problem getting the bike off the Center stand? It would seem like there is no were to go forward with the bike in taking it off? jrlakin
post #3 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 2:09 pm

It looks like you pull it up to the wheel stop and then raise it on the center stand. this in turn pulls the front wheel back from the stop, giving you room to go forward when you get it off the stand.

post #4 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

Harbor Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
Do you have a problem getting the bike off the Center stand? It would seem like there is no were to go forward with the bike in taking it off? jrlakin
No I have no problem. If you notice in the picture there is a lot of room to go ahead before you hit the front stop. I roll it off the center stand and use reverse to back it down the ramp. There is nothing to running it on and off the lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270009.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	7941  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #5 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

Harbor Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Bell
It looks like you pull it up to the wheel stop and then raise it on the center stand. this in turn pulls the front wheel back from the stop, giving you room to go forward when you get it off the stand.
This is correct. If you notice when I extended the front stop I did cut a 6 inch 2X4 and attached it under the stop. This is so if you rolled it off the center stand and the tire would hit the stop it could bent the wheel stop down and go off the end. This way it would have to jump over the wheel stop. Just a precaution.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #6 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 2:47 pm

Totally different question. I noticed the picture of you bike on the lift. What modifications have you done to the rear tour pack?? I like it!! jrlakin
post #7 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 3:31 pm

Looks like a Corbin Smuggler. http://www.corbin.com/bmw/k1200lt_smug.shtml

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #8 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:07 pm

Harbor Freight Lift

I purchased one of these a year ago, new still in the crate, from a shop service tech. I've had constant problems with the pump not working to raise the lift. Sometimes a combination of bleeding and priming (with the linkage disconnected to the actuator) works. Sometimes, not.

The "safety" bar bent into a "v" the first time it had a load put on it.

I'm going for a better lift next time.

Mark
post #9 of 16 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 5:03 am

Different HarborFreight lift versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabden
I purchased one of these a year ago, new still in the crate, from a shop service tech. I've had constant problems with the pump not working to raise the lift. Sometimes a combination of bleeding and priming (with the linkage disconnected to the actuator) works. Sometimes, not.

The "safety" bar bent into a "v" the first time it had a load put on it.

I'm going for a better lift next time.

Mark
Some time ago (I really don't remember how long ago) I looked at Harbor Freight lifts, I dismissed it because the load rating was around 800 lbs. I realize that the lift now being discussed is rated at 1000lbs.
I am now considering buying one.

Mark, is it possible you have an earlier version of what Harbor Freight had available?
post #10 of 16 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:45 am

Jerry , what is that contraption on the back of your LT( trunk area)? I also have the HF Lift and it works great! I'm going to use your idea regarding the wheel stop and peg tie downs. Thanks, Ron Ray
post #11 of 16 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Corbin Smuggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlray
Jerry , what is that contraption on the back of your LT( trunk area)? I also have the HF Lift and it works great! I'm going to use your idea regarding the wheel stop and peg tie downs. Thanks, Ron Ray
Ron,
The tour back on my bike is a Corbin Smuggler manufactured by Corbin. It is great if you ride solo. http://corbin.com/bmw/k12lt_index.shtml I really like the HF lift. I have had no problems with it. You will fine it is better to move the tire stop a head six inches. It centers the bike on the platform plus the center stand will be right on the brace under the platform.

Jerry

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #12 of 16 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Thanks for an excellent write up with great pictures,
I've been "sitting on the fence" regarding this lift for a while.
Your write up pushed me "over" well that 15% off coupon helped
went and picked mine up at Harbor Freight last night,
put the wheels on this morning, nice product but then I've never seen a tool I didn't like.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 16 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 8:36 am

Jerry,
Do you power it up on the ramp or muscle it up?? looks pretty solid too me...

Rich in Florida
post #14 of 16 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 9:55 am Thread Starter

HF Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratorino2004
Jerry,
Do you power it up on the ramp or muscle it up?? looks pretty solid too me...
I drive mind on the ramp. When backing it off I do use the reverse just to have better control down the ramp. The servo brakes take a lot of pressure when backing off the ramp before going a head.

Jerry

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #15 of 16 Old May 14th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Some time ago (I really don't remember how long ago) I looked at Harbor Freight lifts, I dismissed it because the load rating was around 800 lbs. I realize that the lift now being discussed is rated at 1000lbs.
I am now considering buying one.

Mark, is it possible you have an earlier version of what Harbor Freight had available?
They have a 1200 pound model now.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #16 of 16 Old May 14th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
They have a 1200 pound model now.
Found here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94813

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in