• 1 Post By gorm5
  • 4 Post By MarkSSL
  • 3 Post By Bimbler
  • 3 Post By MarkSSL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old Oct 15th, 2016, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Do I want a K1200LT

Hi All,
Just joined tonight. I'm a Harley rider but want to get an inexpensive tourer for occasional use. Plus a bike I can park and just wash and dry without the polishing!
After scouring the ads I came across the K1200LT. So after watching the YT vids I'm hooked. Love it. My mate swears by the R1200RT but it looks a bit Dakar to me with the boxes fitted afterwards. The K just looks so neat and curvy. I'm looking at various models from 99 to 08. Seems the later models have electric centre stand and an extra light under the main light. Different dash too I think. I know they're heavy but not as heavy as an Electraglide which I've ridden no problem. Anyway can you experts give me some tips on what I should be looking for please? Mileage issues etc!
Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old Oct 15th, 2016, 9:38 pm

Re: Do I want a K1200LT

They are great bikes! Very comfortable, particularly 2 up. They do require more maintenance than your late model HD. They handle extremely well, and get great fuel economy even when ridden very fast. Good luck with your search. They stay fairly clean due to the aerodynamics too. Ciao.
MarkSSL likes this.
post #3 of 50 Old Oct 15th, 2016, 9:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Your Electra Glide was no where near the top heavy pig that the LT is. This really only comes into play at very low speeds and when stopping. Always and I mean always have the front wheel straight ahead when coming to a final stop or she will dirt nap on you. Other wise she will run circles around most bikes in the handling area at speeds above 5 MPH.
radar41, jkersh1, BennyBob and 4 others like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 50 Old Oct 15th, 2016, 10:45 pm

Figure out what you want the bike to do and buy the bike that fits what you want to do. If you want a long distance touring bike that your passenger can relax and read a book on, the LT may be just the bike you are looking for. The problem is that once you start riding the LT, your HD may get jealous and lonely. Good Luck with the decision and purchase.
MarkSSL likes this.
post #5 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 9:47 am

Don't ever ride a LT unless you are prepared to ditch your Harley. Happened to me.
bmwcoolk1200 and MarkSSL like this.
post #6 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 12:15 pm

You can find the issues on this forum and the methods on fixing them. They have their issues unique to them, like any bike. But if your handy with a wrench. It's no problem. Some issues are... Final drives on some,Not all LTs. There is a member here that rebuilds them. The radios can be an issue. Again. Not all. And there are solutions. Best put. If you buy an LT. Best plan on having the HD parked for awhile. Once your used to it, the Harley will sit.The parking lot manuvering is where it's top heavy. And as John stated. Stop with wheel straight or she gets unstable. But above 5 mph. Holy hell is it fun. You can Take her on a superslab 2 up at 85 or 90 mph allday and it loves it. My favorite is twisty mountain roads. It handles like a sportbike with manners. The look on peoples faces going down US 129 is priceless seeing that big bike dancing .Just an amazing machine inspite of time and labor when doing maintenance. Well worth it though.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #7 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 12:20 pm

I loved mine and above comments are true but since the LT is out of production for several years, I'd seriously look at the K1600's. Some good deals on used one's out there.
pkpr1998 likes this.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Great replies guys thanks. The idea is to ride across Europe, alps, Italian lakes etc and U.K. Stuff too. In comfort! The Harley thing is a different pastime really as I hang out with other Sunday afternoon chrome / noise tea & cakers!!!
One other concern is I have giraffe legs, but I understand the LT has adjustable pegs.
I've looked at Pan Euro's, Gold wings etc. But the LT just looks the boy! The K1600's are fantastic but bigger money, plus I'm just testing the idea at the mo so the cheaper option will do for now and maybe get one later if we take it seriously.
I take it high mileage isn't an issue?
Thanks

post #9 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 7:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSSL View Post
I take it high mileage isn't an issue?
Thanks

Not really. Don Arthur totaled his LT on the way to the Iron Butt Rally in 2005. It was a 2000 and it had 304,000 on it.
jkersh1 and MarkSSL like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I loved mine and above comments are true but since the LT is out of production for several years, I'd seriously look at the K1600's. Some good deals on used one's out there.
I didn't think of looking for a used K1600. Can't imagine the deal being close to the ones I've seen on K1200LT. I love mine but it is tippy, especially with the crown of the road. Can't figure out why it's so top heavy when the engine, tranny is sooo low! My only gripe is the GPS, Radio system. I could do without the CD just wish it could talk to my iphone and I wish any Garmin/TomTom would plug and play.
pkpr1998 and MarkSSL like this.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #11 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 8:44 pm

fyi I have had some success recently with connecting my phone/mp3 player to my 05 LT. If you want, check out the recent "Decent stereo workaround" thread. So far so good.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #12 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 9:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hi All,
Just joined tonight. I'm a Harley rider but want to get an inexpensive tourer for occasional use. Plus a bike I can park and just wash and dry without the polishing!
After scouring the ads I came across the K1200LT. So after watching the YT vids I'm hooked. Love it. My mate swears by the R1200RT but it looks a bit Dakar to me with the boxes fitted afterwards. The K just looks so neat and curvy. I'm looking at various models from 99 to 08. Seems the later models have electric centre stand and an extra light under the main light. Different dash too I think. I know they're heavy but not as heavy as an Electraglide which I've ridden no problem. Anyway can you experts give me some tips on what I should be looking for please? Mileage issues etc!
Many thanks.

The first thing you should know is that there is nothing inexpensive about the LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 50 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 11:12 pm

No one has mentioned the ABS systems on the early /and upgraded versions. Might want to research that issue. Good luck.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #14 of 50 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 3:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The first thing you should know is that there is nothing inexpensive about the LT.

I take your point but I'm talking about the purchase price of circa 3k - 5k.
I should imagine the parts are expensive from BMW but if these bikes are as reliable as I'm led to believe I shouldn't be buying many parts considering the low mileage I have planned for the bike.
Anyway I'm used to HD's and the associated extortion!!!

post #15 of 50 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 8:40 am

You know. I should have mentioned. The ABS system 99/2001 is just that ABS. 02/09 They are integral ,servo power assist. If the ABS servo goes out. You only have residual braking. And an integral ABS pump is $$$$. If you flush them annually. The integral system seems to do fine. But again. You have to flush the ABS regularity. If I were to do it again. I would go for a 1999-2001 with no servo assist. I just don't think it's needed. I have a 2004 with servo assist. It's been fine. But the 99-2001 is simpler and if the ABS goes. You still have brakes.And if that ABS goes. They can be rebuilt at a reasonable $$$.The integral/ servo ABS can't be rebuilt as of yet. Just info you might want to know.
MarkSSL likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:15 am. Reason: Add content
post #16 of 50 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 9:29 am

Talking Re: Do I want a K1200LT

I have owned two LTs The first one (02) had ABS issues. The big Module that is expensive to replace. So I sold in in 2010. The brakes still work but not the ABS function and the dash light flashes.
So I licked my wounds and moved on. I was looking for another bike after moving back to the states in 2013. So I bought a 2006 LT. for $6600 (8800miles) so far it has been a great touring bike 15500 miles later.
In June 2016 I put a Russell day long seat on it. A better ride for sure but that's another story. It is a great touring bike The adjustable windshield gives great protection, I removed the CD player and radio and antenna.
For various person reasons a motorcycle radio is worthless. While the radio removed I get all the space in that top compartment for small items. It's much better. Heated grips and seat. I get tire shake at 40 mph or so with all bikes I
have owned. The biggest issue with the LT is that it is underpowered. 1171cc trying to move bike and rider/cargo is getting old. I think it needs a 6 spd transmission. The cruise control is nice as well. BUT the bike needed
a redesign. (enter K1600) I bought a used 2013 K1600GTL it is way more expensive that the LT . A larger engine (that doesn't smoke) way more power, suspension control, throttle control, removable bags/paniers, easy access
oil filter, superior handling, bluetooth, tire pressure monitor, XM radio, but the windshield is smaller less protective. However I still have both bikes. but the LT is a good ride and it's paid for.
pkpr1998, gorm5 and MarkSSL like this.
post #17 of 50 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I take your point but I'm talking about the purchase price of circa 3k - 5k.
I should imagine the parts are expensive from BMW but if these bikes are as reliable as I'm led to believe I shouldn't be buying many parts considering the low mileage I have planned for the bike.
Anyway I'm used to HD's and the associated extortion!!!

Bikes that are inexpensive used are usually thus for a reason. My LT, when it is working, is the best touring bike on the road. However, it has been the most troublesome vehicle I have ever owned and the most expensive to maintain by a large margin.

Just plan to do your own work and buy aftermarket parts to the extent possible. And read this forum to know what to address preemptively such as fuel line disconnects, trunk latch, brake lines, crankcase vent, etc,
lucasindus and MarkSSL like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #18 of 50 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Do I want a K1200LT

YES!
Just buy one.
I've owned an 05 for the last four years, and it's a great riging / touring bike. I don't care if it's a 10 mile commute or a ride to lunch, I still enjoy the bike. And for longer, multi-day, multi-week trips, it's a great companion. Yes, maintenance can be expensive, but do as much work yourself as you are comfortable with. If I have engine work I want done, I take off the "tupperware" myslef, then drive it to the mechanic. Why pay him for two hours of just removing plastic panels.
Good luck with your research and your decision.
ProfSnape and MarkSSL like this.

Chris

2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT (sold)
1998 BMW R1200c (sold)
post #19 of 50 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 3:58 am Thread Starter

Great info guys thanks very much. From all the research I've done it's definitely my number one choice. However, I can see a number of K1200GT's, K1300GT's and many versions of the R flat twin for sale at similar money. But they all seem to be designed around the rider not the pillion. Any thoughts as to why the LT is better over the other BMW tourers?

post #20 of 50 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 9:15 am

The Rt is a nice tourer. Even for two.Maybe just enough for 2 up. It and other BMW bikes just don't match the wind protection, comfort of the LT. The Rt just isn't as good two up as the LT is IMO . But many guys tour with them. It is said the K1600 can be as good as the LT with some add on's. Aero wings. New windshield, Seat. Etc... I can see the next step for me being a K1600. But that won't be for quite a while as this LT isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And by then. The LT will have out of production for a number of years by then. So not really an option.
MarkSSL likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #21 of 50 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 10:58 am

There is a laundry list of things that will likely need attention on an LT being they are now getting some age on them, as with any other Mfg bike. Do your homework and learn what these things are and find one that has had as many of them already taken care of as possible and you will have a bike that will be much more reliable overall. You might pay a little more for one with a good service record and these things already attended to simply because they are not inexpensive repairs even if you do them yourself.

The short list would be:
1. Has had the stock brake lines replaced with stainless braided. They will burst. Just do it if they are OEM.
2. Clutch and O-ring has been replaced if it leaked especially on the older bikes preferably with a Viton one. This is not one you will get away with forever. It will simply fail from heat in the clutch because of the material it was made of.
3. Final drive has been inspected, overhauled and shimmed correctly with a new crown bearing.
4. on 02+ ABS service has been performed regularly but this will not guarantee it will not fail. Still no one rebuilding the ABS unit yet and they are expensive. Important but not quite as much on the 01- years as you don't lose your brakes if the module fails on them. You just lose the ABS function so this may influence what year bike you go looking for.
5. Weep holes would be a plus on the slave and also on the bell housing. Usually done during the clutch O-ring replacement. They can give some advanced warning of a seal or clutch slave failure.

This is not an exhaustive list but it is the major ones that can ruin your day or week depending on how far from home you are. If you can find one with some of these already serviced with records to that fact, you will have one of the best touring/sport bikes still on the road. I love mine and what it can do and my pillion loves riding on it with me as long as I tone it down a little on the twisties. Just put almost thousand miles on it last weekend and had a blast. I plan on keeping it for a long time to come.

Good luck in your choice.
MBevans and MarkSSL like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #22 of 50 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

I've put a deposit down on a 1999 LT with 46k miles. Nice condition and all works nicely. Looked at 2004 facelift model but decided to have the older model with less to go wrong.
I'll keep you posted and thanks again for all great advice!

MBevans and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #23 of 50 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Picked bike up today and rode 150miles home. Omg its massive! But what a machine!!! The wind protection is amazing.
I averaged 63mpg. Really like it. I will need some highway pegs though. Are they retrofit or only stock on US models? Anyone know where I can get some please?
Thanks

frhekö likes this.
post #24 of 50 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Picked bike up today and rode 150miles home. Omg its massive! But what a machine!!! The wind protection is amazing.
I averaged 63mpg. Really like it. I will need some highway pegs though. Are they retrofit or only stock on US models? Anyone know where I can get some please?
Thanks

Great mileage! I never got over 45mpg. I seems less big (pig) when moving.

The pegs are aftermarket. These are the ones most have: ccMotorcycles - CVM Touring Accessories

Someone is selling a set here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ml#post1643137

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #25 of 50 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

It was mostly cruising at 70mph.
Thanks for the peg advice. I will need the taller rider version otherwise I would have bought those used ones.

post #26 of 50 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Garage

Are you sure about that MPG? seems way too high to me.. I've never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage.. Best i've ever gotten on my 06 is 51 with an overall average of 47. Perhaps your were using Canadian gallons lol..
MarkSSL likes this.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #27 of 50 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

That's what it showed on the trip computer. I'll reset it on next ride and check it.

post #28 of 50 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 4:09 pm

63 KPG would be almost 40MPG which would put it in the ballpark of what most get, maybe just a tad low for Hwy cruising but more believable than 63 MPG. I get 50+ when I do a reset while in motion but it quickly drops down into the mid to low 40's.
BeemerJoe likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #29 of 50 Old Oct 20th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Garage

you might want to check manually. Mine always reports 1.5 to 2.0 mpg more than it actually is. BMW's way of bragging on their bikes lol.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #30 of 50 Old Oct 21st, 2016, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

In answer to my original question...Do I want a K1200LT? I can now answer YES I DO!!!
Took my lady on the back today and she loves it. Especially the seat under braking. I had the seat in the highest position so no pillion sliding! Heated seats/ grips superb. Handling at any speed is superb. Music great. Pulls smoothly from 30mph in 5th. Loving this bike!!

MBevans, Mark65, ProfSnape and 1 others like this.
post #31 of 50 Old Oct 21st, 2016, 3:09 pm

Quote:
I've put a deposit down on a 1999 LT with 46k miles. Nice condition and all works nicely. Looked at 2004 facelift model but decided to have the older model with less to go wrong.
I'll keep you posted and thanks again for all great advice!

I believe you made a good choice in the 99
MBevans and MarkSSL like this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #32 of 50 Old Oct 21st, 2016, 9:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Pulls smoothly from 30mph in 5th. Loving this bike!!

I don't recommend being in 5th unless you are on the interstate doing 70. Seriously the power band is 5 k on up and low speed loading (rolling power on in 5th @ 30 MPH) will stress the input shaft bearing on the transmission. 1st gear is good to 62 MPH then you will hit the rev limiter. Up shift at 3,500 - 4,500 RPM. Try the twisties at 40 - 50 MPH in second gear sometime and you will feel like you are on a different bike. But above all enjoy the ride as she is a fine machine!!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #33 of 50 Old Oct 21st, 2016, 9:28 pm

Good for you! My wife does not care to ride on any other bike than the LT
MarkSSL likes this.
post #34 of 50 Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 5:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I don't recommend being in 5th unless you are on the interstate doing 70. Seriously the power band is 5 k on up and low speed loading (rolling power on in 5th @ 30 MPH) will stress the input shaft bearing on the transmission. 1st gear is good to 62 MPH then you will hit the rev limiter. Up shift at 3,500 - 4,500 RPM. Try the twisties at 40 - 50 MPH in second gear sometime and you will feel like you are on a different bike. But above all enjoy the ride as she is a fine machine!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'm used to low revving Harleys!!!!

post #35 of 50 Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I don't recommend being in 5th unless you are on the interstate doing 70.
My dealer told me from day one, keep the rpm's over 3k. The LT does not like to be "lugged" with lower rpm's.
MarkSSL likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #36 of 50 Old Oct 24th, 2016, 12:17 am

Garage

Quote:
Took my lady on the back today and she loves it.
That's about half of the reason I got my LT*. Test rode with wife, and she talked me into it! (She's been on a Goldwing, but said the LT was far better from her perspective).

* the other reason was the insane deal I got on it. Even if it has a $2500 repair in the next year or two, I'll be OK with what I paid. Killer deal.
post #37 of 50 Old Oct 25th, 2016, 12:01 am

I did warn you about buying an LT...lol. Glad you are enjoying the bike! I let an HD guy ride my LT in the neighborhood the other night. He had my LT in 3rd gear by the time he got to the nearest stop sign...lol, even after I told him to run it in higher revs. So, I reminded him about the revs and off he went again, going along in 2nd gear. He could/should have gone about in 1st gear without a problem.

For me, I try to cruise along at a minimum of 3,500rpms. For casual riding, I up shift at about 5k or a little more. For more fun, I up shift at 7k to 8k but have to stay mindful of the mph because you will speed up very fast and not feel it. I have been surprised by my speed many times because while the bike does go fast; it doesn't always "feel" fast. You can cruise around at 5k if you want to and the bike will churn along (I did see a big drop in mpg...unless on the freeway in 5th gear at 5k rpms!)

Some people are downshifting at 4k to keep the bike in the power band and ready to jump with a slight twitch of the wrist. Get there and ride and give my apologies to the HD that will soon be lonely. Fortunately, the LT can tell the HD stories of your rides late at night to pass the time.
gorm5 likes this.
post #38 of 50 Old Oct 25th, 2016, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
I did warn you about buying an LT...lol. Glad you are enjoying the bike! I let an HD guy ride my LT in the neighborhood the other night. He had my LT in 3rd gear by the time he got to the nearest stop sign...lol, even after I told him to run it in higher revs. So, I reminded him about the revs and off he went again, going along in 2nd gear. He could/should have gone about in 1st gear without a problem.

For me, I try to cruise along at a minimum of 3,500rpms. For casual riding, I up shift at about 5k or a little more. For more fun, I up shift at 7k to 8k but have to stay mindful of the mph because you will speed up very fast and not feel it. I have been surprised by my speed many times because while the bike does go fast; it doesn't always "feel" fast. You can cruise around at 5k if you want to and the bike will churn along (I did see a big drop in mpg...unless on the freeway in 5th gear at 5k rpms!)

Some people are downshifting at 4k to keep the bike in the power band and ready to jump with a slight twitch of the wrist. Get there and ride and give my apologies to the HD that will soon be lonely. Fortunately, the LT can tell the HD stories of your rides late at night to pass the time.

Hey Jim tell me what guitar(s) you play?
I knew the BM would be a great ride compared to a Harley. But then Harley are trying to make a modern bike in a heavyweight 50's bike style for lottery winners money. I love my Harley and will always follow that pastime. I didn't want a half tonne electraglide for ridiculous money to tour on so looked for other makes, hence why I went for the LT for reasonable money. To me they are equal fun in their own ways. I will try and keep the revs up on the BM!!! Thank you!!!

post #39 of 50 Old Oct 25th, 2016, 9:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

...and then there is the K1600 for additional thrills... Sorry, but the power of the 6 (160 vs. 117 HP) was so intoxicating after getting used to my beloved LT...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #40 of 50 Old Oct 26th, 2016, 12:57 am

Quote:
Hey Jim tell me what guitar(s) you play?
I knew the BM would be a great ride compared to a Harley. But then Harley are trying to make a modern bike in a heavyweight 50's bike style for lottery winners money. I love my Harley and will always follow that pastime. I didn't want a half tonne electraglide for ridiculous money to tour on so looked for other makes, hence why I went for the LT for reasonable money. To me they are equal fun in their own ways. I will try and keep the revs up on the BM!!! Thank you!!!
The guitar I play the most is a cherry red Parker Fly Classic. It is a one-piece mahogany body and plays too easily. I can talk guitar stuff for hours but I won't bore you with all of that.
frhekö and MarkSSL like this.
post #41 of 50 Old Oct 26th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Mark, you will love the contrast between the two bikes because they are SO different. I have a similar experience to you. One bike is quick on the low end, loud (Cobra pipes) and masculine and requires a lot of shifting. The other has a prolonged shift ratio and is sleek, luxurious, and smooth with stellar handling. A great combination if you ride both a decent amount. In all honesty, when I first got my LT I started to neglect the Valkyrie a bit, but after going to a couple of Valkyrie rallies I have regained my balance. Enjoy both of them to the fullest!
MarkSSL likes this.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #42 of 50 Old Oct 27th, 2016, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
Mark, you will love the contrast between the two bikes because they are SO different.

Enjoy both of them to the fullest!
That's why I still have my GS. I try to alternate riding. Rarely ride one more than twice in a row.
gorm5 and MarkSSL like this.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #43 of 50 Old Oct 27th, 2016, 8:24 pm

The best reason to buy an LT is this forum. There isn't a problem or issue that someone won't have the right answer back to you quickly. The wealth of information and generosity of members here is unmatchable.
ProfSnape and MarkSSL like this.

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)
post #44 of 50 Old Oct 31st, 2016, 4:31 pm

This is an issue!

After mine rode on the back of the LT, she will not ride on the Ducati ST4S any longer, so that's up for sale, and I've had that for 9 years! sadness!

OK, thought I was going to get a new toy, and had her ride on the back of a totally outfitted R1200GS, no dice even with the back box and cushion she did not like it, sadness! No GS! Damn!

OK, we test rode a new 2016 R1200RT, she accepted the concept, but again she did not like it much, she preferred the K1200LT, she claimed it was too sporty, and the seat was sub-par, damn!

So the Big-Girl (K1200LTC) still quietly lives with us, trips across the country, up and down the west coast she does it all with no complaints.

But in my twisted mind its time for a new ride, the latest R-RT is a sweet bike, now if I can only convince her of that!!!!

Quote:
In answer to my original question...Do I want a K1200LT? I can now answer YES I DO!!!
Took my lady on the back today and she loves it. Especially the seat under braking. I had the seat in the highest position so no pillion sliding! Heated seats/ grips superb. Handling at any speed is superb. Music great. Pulls smoothly from 30mph in 5th. Loving this bike!!

MarkSSL likes this.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #45 of 50 Old Nov 1st, 2016, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBevans View Post
This is an issue!

After mine rode on the back of the LT, she will not ride on the Ducati ST4S any longer, so that's up for sale, and I've had that for 9 years! sadness!

OK, thought I was going to get a new toy, and had her ride on the back of a totally outfitted R1200GS, no dice even with the back box and cushion she did not like it, sadness! No GS! Damn!

OK, we test rode a new 2016 R1200RT, she accepted the concept, but again she did not like it much, she preferred the K1200LT, she claimed it was too sporty, and the seat was sub-par, damn!

So the Big-Girl (K1200LTC) still quietly lives with us, trips across the country, up and down the west coast she does it all with no complaints.

But in my twisted mind its time for a new ride, the latest R-RT is a sweet bike, now if I can only convince her of that!!!!
Yes, I suffered the same thing with my pillion. When we met, she was a Harley rider herself but had not had a bike in several years and we had talked about her getting a bike again so we could ride together. Well, on our first time out on the LT, she clearly stated she saw no reason any longer to get another bike. She was perfectly happy to simply ride with me on the LT. I have been replacing aging systems on it ever since to make sure she is roadworthy for a long time.
ibbones, gorm5 and JaL3_SD like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #46 of 50 Old Nov 1st, 2016, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Yes, I suffered the same thing with my pillion. When we met, she was a Harley rider herself but had not had a bike in several years and we had talked about her getting a bike again so we could ride together. Well, on our first time out on the LT, she clearly stated she saw no reason any longer to get another bike. She was perfectly happy to simply ride with me on the LT. I have been replacing aging systems on it ever since to make sure she is roadworthy for a long time.
+1 Neither my wife nor my cousin (who rides with me a lot) will touch the Valk since I got the LT. They even say bad things about the Valk now.

That's discrimination, if you ask me.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Patrick Russell

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #47 of 50 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 5:53 am Thread Starter

We're off on a Harley ride this weekend. But I'm getting.....shall we go on the LT? you know for the comfort!!!

post #48 of 50 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I have been replacing aging systems on her ever since to make sure she is roadworthy for a long time.
Yup, wives take a lot of maintenance.
post #49 of 50 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 1:55 am

Mark, how is the ride now that you keep the RPMs up?
post #50 of 50 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 6:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Mark, how is the ride now that you keep the RPMs up?

Hi Jim, it's going great thanks. I've done about 550miles so far and tried to keep the revs up. The bike is so balanced and nimble I can't tell my lady is on the back. It's astonishing how well this bike covers distance. I love it!!!

ibbones, Mark65 and ProfSnape like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in