• 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 5 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By BeemerJoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2016, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Garage
Don't understand Tire requirements

I don't quite understand why the LT needs such a high load rated tire. My Harley FLH weighed in at the same if not more than the lt, and it didn't need any special tire, yet the Lt needs this incredibly high rated very hard to get special tire. Are people over reacting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2016, 12:24 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Don't understand Tire requirements

No people are not over reacting, there have been plenty of people try a lighter load rated tire on the rear of the LT only to have problems.
Sidewall of tire rubbing on the swing arm because the sidewalls were not stiff enough and the bulged out is one major problem. This can cause early and catastrophic tire failure.
BeemerJoe likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2016, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I understand this, but what i don't understand is that the LT is no heavier than some of the other cruises such as the Harley FLH or the glowing, but these bikes don't require such a high rated tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
I understand this, but what i don't understand is that the LT is no heavier than some of the other cruises such as the Harley FLH or the glowing, but these bikes don't require such a high rated tire.
It' probably because BMW riders use the bikes to the maximum more so than HD riders. You know how well the fat girl handles. I think that that stresses the tires more than just weight.

Robert
ibbones, katnapinn and BeemerJoe like this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #5 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2016, 10:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you could run a larger tire you could get away with a lower rating. You will find that this in not a very big tire (limited room on swing arm) compared to the big Harleys.
Patric, tvguy, katnapinn and 2 others like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 18 Old Oct 15th, 2016, 1:28 am

Those HD tires are H rated also, not V rated like the LT tire. Higher speed rating stresses tires more. But I see that the Dunlop and Michelin rear tires for a late model FLH are load rating 81, higher than the 79 of the LT.
Patric likes this.

Last edited by fatbob307; Oct 15th, 2016 at 1:39 am.
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 15th, 2016, 11:19 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

The 81 can hold more weight than the 79 but the "V" is the important part for me. I can cruise at triple digits for long periods of time here in the great southwest.

This is a good read (Clicky)

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #8 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
The 81 can hold more weight than the 79 but the "V" is the important part for me. I can cruise at triple digits for long periods of time here in the great southwest.

This is a good read (Clicky)

You can't get an LT to the V-rating speeds. Barely H riding downhill with gale force winds pushing you.

H would be fine.
A Harder tire compound would be better for longevity.
The Metzeler and Bridgestone tire choices are too soft for aggressive riding.
The V just disintegrate when you start leaning the bike left to right and back frequently.

OMG... Here comes the comments from the road racers getting 19K miles on LT tires... WTF. - You are not riding the bike!
BeemerJoe likes this.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Garage

My sentiments exactly. I very rarely if any ride my LT faster than 90, and that's only when passing. I'm not a road racer, but i enjoy pushing the LT a little. Live in FL and not doing the tail of the dragon type riding. IOW just nice easy normal riding, therefore, it seems to me that a tire with the correct load rating but NOT the speed rating should be fine. And probably last longer.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
You can't get an LT to the V-rating speeds. Barely H riding downhill with gale force winds pushing you.

H would be fine.
The V just disintegrate when you start leaning the bike left to right and back frequently.

OMG... Here comes the comments from the road racers getting 19K miles on LT tires... WTF. - You are not riding the bike!
Relax mate.

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 7:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Y

Mike not everyone wants to be a track monkey especially on public streets. Ride your own ride but don't blast someone who is riding their own ride. I never get more than 8K out of a rear because I have a lead wrist, but I don't drag hard parts (well not very often).
tvguy likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 8:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
I don't quite understand why the LT needs such a high load rated tire. My Harley FLH weighed in at the same if not more than the lt, and it didn't need any special tire, yet the Lt needs this incredibly high rated very hard to get special tire. Are people over reacting?
I am not a tire engineer, but I am an engineer and have read a little about motorcycle design (started with Gordon Jennings and included folks such as Tony Foale). Let me offer you a few things to consider.

Motorcycle components are designed for the bike's GVWR, not the empty weight. I am not sure the specs for the FLH, but few bikes match the LT's gross weight rating.

Speed is another factor. High speeds generate heat and the tire needs to be able to handle that. Speed ratings generally are more of a heat rating than a strength rating, although both matter at sustained high speeds.

Lastly, dynamics matter. Every structure distorts under stress and vibrates at a specific frequency based on mass and stiffness. I can pretty much guarantee that the LT's chassis and suspension are much stiffer than the Harley. This likely puts more stress on the tire as well and may well require a stiffer sidewall. Higher load rating likely gives more stiffness and the LT requires even more stiffness yet, hence the special REINF requirement.

Since there is no tire spec for stiffness, the engineers may well have used load range as a surrogate to get stiffer sidewalls, even though the GVWR alone may not have required the 79 rating. Engineers in all fields do this all the time.

Components like tires are complex systems needing to meet many requirements simultaneously and the specified attributes are interrelated in complex ways and can't be looked at independently. Novices think that only load affects load range and only speed affects speed rating, but a given tire is specified because it works as part of the total system. This includes things like dynamics that can't be specified directly.

Using a tire other than that specified by the bike maker means you are now a factory test rider which is fine as long as you accept that responsibility willingly and inform your passengers. You may never have a problem, then again, you may hit just the right bump at just the right speed to excite a resonant mode of the tire and suspension that triggers a fun tank slapper. "Are you feeling lucky?" to steal a Dirty Harry phrase..
CharlieVT, dmatson, tvguy and 2 others like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 8:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

H would be fine.

What university issued your engineering degree?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Oct 16th, 2016 at 8:59 pm.
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 8:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwradon View Post
Relax mate.
Hang around long enough and you will learn that:

1. MikeE makes one juvenile post per month on average.
2. He is the best rider on the forum.
3. He is the foremost tire expert on the forum.
4. His riding style is the only "one right style" and every other riding style is decidedly inferior.

Did I miss anything, MikeE?

Tricky_dickey likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Voyager.. best explanation yet.. Thank you.. I never said i wasn't going to use the recommended tires. Of course i will. I was just wondering why as stated in my original post. Your explanation makes perfect sense. thanks again.
tvguy and johnbaker15 like this.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 11:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

4. His riding style is the only "one right style" and every other riding style is decidedly inferior.

Now Ward, you were pretty hard on the Beaver.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #17 of 18 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 7:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

I wouldn't expect anything less out of a forum troll. It is sad you are so unhappy with your life. You should go outside more. The sunlight will do you some good.
With 46xx posts and usually a useless comment in every thread, I thought you know all?

Not the best rider and never said I was. I just use all of my bikes and and tires in world's best riding location.
Not to mention I change more motorcycle tires in a year than you have used in your entire life (including every car you have ever owned). I know a little about tires and how they perform on a bike.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I wouldn't expect anything less out of a forum troll. It is sad you are so unhappy with your life. You should go outside more. The sunlight will do you some good.
With 46xx posts and usually a useless comment in every thread, I thought you know all?

Not the best rider and never said I was. I just use all of my bikes and and tires in world's best riding location.
Not to mention I change more motorcycle tires in a year than you have used in your entire life (including every car you have ever owned). I know a little about tires and how they perform on a bike.
Q.E.D.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in