• 2 Post By MikeERideWNC
  • 1 Post By mtrevelino
  • 1 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Rear Wheel bolts coming off.

Hello everyone,

So I've been riding Motorcycles for a very long time and this has never happened to me before.

I rode to Santa Cruz on Highway 17, those of you who know that road know how twisted it is.

I get to downtown Santa Cruz and everything is fine. I park the bike & go into a Records/Vinyl store to look at the vintage stereo equipment they sell.

I come out, start the bike and all of a sudden the bike is wobbling/has serious wobble, I thought maybe I have a flat tire, I check but the tires are fine. I ride slowly but there is significant wobble. I park it again and check and find out that the rear wheel is almost off the bike, the 5 bolts that hold wheel in place had (for some reason/this never happened before) come loose and 2 of the bolts fell off/were missing. I walk around a bit and find one of the bolts few feet away, I walk around for 30 minutes looking for the other bolt but could not find it.

I secure the wheel with the 4 bolts and tighten it. And I start thinking that if that wheel had come loose or came completely off while I was riding at Highway speeds & in those twists and turns on highway 17, I would have been gone, as in dead or worse seriously injured/paralyzed. Luckily it came very loose after I parked the bike & was going very slow.

Then when I got to my storage unit & tried to leave the battery was dead and the bike will not start. So I had to find someone with jumper cables to help me.

I re-tighten the 4 screws on the wheel again.

I checked them a day later/today and they were still tight.

So I have 2 questions:

1- Did this ever happen to anyone before, where the bolts came loose ? And how to prevent that ?

2- Does anyone have a spare bolt and the slanted spacer/Washer that goes around the bolt (not sure how to describe it) to secure the wheel, that they don't need ?

If not, where to get one ? I am sure the dealer is very expensive.

It has been suggested that someone had loosened the bolts on the wheel, otherwise the wooble would come on gradually....as the bolts became loose...... not all of a sudden as it did.

But I don't know who would just happen to have the right tool to loosen the bolts and why.

Any ideas/comments ?

Thank you so much.

Last edited by BMW_forever; Oct 12th, 2016 at 7:25 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 9:40 am

Re: Rear Wheel bolts coming off.

Yes, it has happened before. Check out this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-fell-off.html
Most likely, whoever installed your wheel the last time did not correctly torque the bolts. The torque values are as follows:
Initial tightening is 50 Nm (50ft/lbs)
Final tightening is 105Nm (77 ft/lbs)
When I had my LT, I could not believe they had to be that tight, but they do. I also may have read that the bolts should be installed dry, meaning no anti-seize on the threads.
Patric, tvguy, beech and 2 others like this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 9:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Most likely, whoever installed your wheel the last time did not correctly torque the bolts. The torque values are as follows:
When I had my LT, I could not believe they had to be that tight, but they do. I also may have read that the bolts should be installed dry, meaning no anti-seize on the threads.
Correct on all counts. +1
Tricky_dickey likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 10:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Note that 50 Nm is about 37 ft/lbs not 50.
tvguy, saddleman and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Motor On ,/'

post #5 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Thank you for your reply.

I had the rear tire replaced few months ago. I brought in the wheel to the shop and they installed the new tire which was flat and I reinstalled it on the bike and tightened the bolts with the wrench that is in the tool kit.

Mind you I have done the same thing before, when I replaced the tire....I tightened the bolts myself and never had this issue before.

So not having a wrench that shown the torque, how do I tighten these enough without breaking anything by over tightening ?

Thank you
post #6 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post

I had the rear tire replaced few months ago. I brought in the wheel to the shop and they installed the new tire which was flat and I reinstalled it on the bike and tightened the bolts with the wrench that is in the tool kit.

Mind you I have done the same thing before, when I replaced the tire....I tightened the bolts myself and never had this issue before.

So not having a wrench that shown the torque, how do I tighten these enough without breaking anything by over tightening ?

Thank you
Go to a Harbor Freight tools center and buy one or order one off Amazon. It is something you should have if you are going to service the bike yourself.
beech likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1 View Post
Note that 50 Nm is about 37 ft/lbs not 50.
Correct, I mis-typed it. Attached is a conversion chart someone put together many years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TorqueConv.pdf (12.7 KB, 69 views)
JaL3_SD likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #8 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 12:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If they are torqued correctly you cannot loosen them with the supplied wrench without standing on it. Seriously for $9.95 you can get a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive torque wrench at HF. Then a 17 mm deep socket and you will never have to worry about the wheel falling off.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 30 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 8:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Thank you
You can't. You need to invest in a decent torque wrench or hire someone to do your tire work. "Farmer tight" doesn't wok for critical fasteners like these.
tvguy, beech and Tricky_dickey like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 30 Old Oct 13th, 2016, 1:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If they are torqued correctly you cannot loosen them with the supplied wrench without standing on it. Seriously for $9.95 you can get a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive torque wrench at HF. Then a 17 mm deep socket and you will never have to worry about the wheel falling off.
So if I tighten them with a torque wrench and you say I can't loosen them without standing on the wrench (which there is no room to do so/no room to stand on a wrench to loosen the bolts/in that direction), how do I remove the bolts when I need to remove them?

I assume with the same torque wrench ?

I know it maybe a stupid question but wanted to make sure.
post #11 of 30 Old Oct 13th, 2016, 2:20 am
cws

Garage

I carry a foot-long piece of water pipe that fits over the end of the standard tool for the leverage needed to get them undone.

... at home I use a 3-foot piece as its even easier

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 30 Old Oct 13th, 2016, 5:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
I carry a foot-long piece of water pipe that fits over the end of the standard tool for the leverage needed to get them undone.

... at home I use a 3-foot piece as its even easier
I can do that but everyone here says I have to use a Torque wrench.

With the pipe piece, do I just tighten it till it stops....I don't want to break it or strip it ??
post #13 of 30 Old Oct 13th, 2016, 6:05 am

Garage

Come on AJ you can't be that silly,, tighten the nuts with the torque wrench and UN DO them with the pipe or what ever if they are too tight.. I have never used anything but the tools in the tool bag to undo wheel nuts, having said this I am the only person who works on my bike.
tvguy likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #14 of 30 Old Oct 13th, 2016, 6:15 am
cws

Garage

Quote:

With the pipe piece, do I just tighten it till it stops....I don't want to break it or strip it ??
heh, heh... looks like my original "quote" of your question about undoing them got lost.... Axle is correct, I was only saying to UNDO them with a pipe piece. Use the torque wrench to do it up if possible.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 30 Old Oct 13th, 2016, 8:25 am

I've had to R & R the rear wheel in the field before, and I was able to remove the wheel without a cheater bar no problem.
Put the wheel back on & used my foot on the lug wrench to get the bolts good and tight. When I got home I applied the proper torque.

The correct torque & torque sequence is located in the owners manual that should be kept with the bike at all times.

The thought of not applying the correct torque to the wheel bolts never even crossed my mind.........

I also recheck the wheel torque annually.

Seems like a lot of new owners are doing their "own maintenance" these days.
I just hope no one gets hurt, or worse.
Axle likes this.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT Champagne
post #16 of 30 Old Oct 13th, 2016, 11:36 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:

Ok, OK... we are being punked here... Nobody can be that stupid. (yeah, I said it)
Buy an expensive torque wrench. Spend more than $80. Go to Sears if you have to. A torque wrench will save your life.

DO NOT GOT TO HARBOR FREIGHT.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #17 of 30 Old Oct 14th, 2016, 1:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

I lost a wheel on a Corvair 95. It was purchased by a friend of mine and I was driving it home for him. Long straight road and the front left dropped. The wheel rolled up the highway. No strange feel to the vehicle until the wheel came off. Back tracking we found three of five lug nuts. Strange that there was no for warning.
post #18 of 30 Old Oct 14th, 2016, 6:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
So if I tighten them with a torque wrench and you say I can't loosen them without standing on the wrench (which there is no room to do so/no room to stand on a wrench to loosen the bolts/in that direction), how do I remove the bolts when I need to remove them?

I assume with the same torque wrench ?

I know it maybe a stupid question but wanted to make sure.
My standard tool kit came with a screw driver and a plastic tool to unscrew the antenna, so I had to add real tools for everything. I carry a 1/2" breaker bar with a short extension (I think 3") and the 17 mm socket. Never use a torque wrench to remove a fastener. Search the net on torque wrench. There are many good articles on how, and how not, to use them.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 30 Old Oct 14th, 2016, 7:24 am

If you have a quality torque wrench, you will know to only use it to put on the nut or bolt.
It is easy enough to break a torque wrench using it to remove a bolt... That is why God created breaker bars.

All of my Snap-On torque wrenches are directional and there is a arrow on the handle.
When you spend several hundred dollars on a wrench, you treat it very well. I treasure mine.
zippy_gg and Axle like this.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #20 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Hi,

So is there a consensus here on how much torque to apply to these bolts ?

And do I use Locktite or not ?

Thanks.
post #21 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 9:25 am

I believe the consensus is to use a torque wrench and the final torque is 77 ft/lbs.

This happened to me too. I removed my rear wheel to replace the tires and apparently neglected to torque the bolts. I lost one lug bolt, the others were loose. Since I tightened them with the proper torque I haven't had any problems.
post #22 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 10:56 am

Quote:
Hi,
And do I use Locktite or not ?Thanks.
Go back and read posts 2, 3, and 4.
johnbaker15 likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #23 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Great, thanks. Just to make sure:

So it is 37 ft/lb initial tightening and then 77ft/Lbs. And NO Locktite.
post #24 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Torque values are not determined by consensus, at least not outside the engineering team. They are specified by the manufacturer as are the thread conditions.

You really should get a good shop manual for your LT. You then would be confident that the wheel bolts are installed clean and dry and torqued in two stages to first 50 Nm to seat the wheel and then to 105 Nm to stretch the bolts to ensure retention under load and vibration.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 30 Old Oct 17th, 2016, 6:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
This will help as well.
Attached Files
File Type: xls K1200LT Torque schedule.xls (66.0 KB, 66 views)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #26 of 30 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 3:14 am

Garage

AJ 25 posts and you still don't have the bloody wheel nuts done up,, mate give us a break......
mtrevelino likes this.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #27 of 30 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 7:14 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

You guys are being played....

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #28 of 30 Old Oct 18th, 2016, 9:26 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
You guys are being played....
yes I know..

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #29 of 30 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
AJ 25 posts and you still don't have the bloody wheel nuts done up,, mate give us a break......
I just saw this. Why do you think it has not been done ? I don't appreciate these accusations by some people on this list.
post #30 of 30 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 11:35 am

Quote:
I just saw this. Why do you think it has not been done ? I don't appreciate these accusations by some people on this list.

Well, I personally don't consider you a troll however, can you let the rest of us who were trying to answer your questions know if you were able to obtain a torque wrench and get the wheel properly tightened? There are some auto stores that will let you borrow tools like that with a deposit.
Patric likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in